K7 to K5II - features removed or can I just not find them?

BentlyTCow

Link Posted 01/12/2012 - 02:09
There were two often-used features on my K7 that appear to be missing from my new K5II.

Firstly, the display orientation of photos in playback mode doesn't change when I rotate the camera. For instance, for a photo shot in portrait mode, I could rotate the camera to portrait and the display would also rotate, causing the picture to fill the screen. With the K5II the image doesn't rotate no matter how I hold the camera and I'm stuck with a vertical shot on a horizontal screen. I used to do this to show people their pictures but it doesn't seem to work any longer.

Secondly, also in playback, if you pressed the down arrow, there would be an option to display two images side-by-side. You could zoom in to various magnifications on either image or do both at the same time. I often used this to compare noise levels, sharpness, depth of field, etc.

Have these two features been removed completely or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

Frogfish

Link Posted 01/12/2012 - 06:15
1) Rotation. Doesn't work as on the K7. I too loved that function, all you need is an iPad like on/off menu option but although there is something in the K5 menu it doesn't work for me.

2) It is still there :-
a) display a photo
b) press the 'flash' button on the 4 way controller
c) move to the icon on the left of bottom line of the icons displayed
d) compare as per the K7

It's best to download and read the K5IIs manual from cover to cover (and repeat every now and again) it's the first thing I do with every new camera !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

davidstorm

Link Posted 01/12/2012 - 11:53
In the K-5 menu you need to make sure the 'Auto Rotation' menu item is un-ticked rather than ticked. If it is set this way the images will rotate correctly.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Frogfish

Link Posted 01/12/2012 - 12:31
davidstorm wrote:
In the K-5 menu you need to make sure the 'Auto Rotation' menu item is un-ticked rather than ticked. If it is set this way the images will rotate correctly.

Regards
David

I believe a number of K5s misbehaved and this function doesn't work .... it doesn't for me. Ticking / unticking doesn't make any difference but I wasn't going to return it that.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

BentlyTCow

Link Posted 01/12/2012 - 19:55
Frogfish wrote:

2) It is still there :-
a) display a photo
b) press the 'flash' button on the 4 way controller
c) move to the icon on the left of bottom line of the icons displayed
d) compare as per the K7

It's best to download and read the K5IIs manual from cover to cover (and repeat every now and again) it's the first thing I do with every new camera !

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Frogfish!

I read the manual beginning to end before I even took the camera out of the box, so I thought maybe I missed it or just plain didn't understand which setting it was related to.

I'm afraid the icon here on the playback screen is the DPOF icon, which is just for printing images (as far as I know).

The icons I have available are as follows: Image rotation, Digital filter, Resize, Cropping, Protect, Slideshow, Save as manual WB, RAW development, Index, Movie editing, DPOF, Save destination. In fact, it looks identical to page 208 of the manual.

davidstorm wrote:

Regards
David

Thank you, David! This works in as much as none of the images rotate, so that landscapes stay landscapes and portraits stay landscapes, which isn't quite the same as it used to be, but it achieves the same goal of making the most of the screen's available space

Sadly, I think the 'image comparison' function (page 235/241 of the K5 manual) has been removed. It's a shame, because there's probably a dozen features on the camera I never use, but I used that one all the time.

Oh, well. Thanks again guys!

nass

Link Posted 02/12/2012 - 00:42
I'm really surprised they removed that. I use it on K-7 and K-5 all the time.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.