K5ii versus Sony A77

AxelLuther

Link Posted 27/05/2013 - 17:25
Hi guys
i recently lost my complete camera bag (well - lost is perhaps the wrong word) with a K5, three lenses and a metz Flash. this is on the one side very bad but on the other side - I now have the opportunity to think about a new system. I am not going for Canon or Nikon as equivalent bodies are still much more expensive, but the Sony A77 sounds very interesting. also made for outdoor and the moveable display and the build-in GPS are features that really interest me. I am a big Pentax fan butnI am also alwaysmopen for new things. Does anyone have experience with the Sony and are there argumentsnthatnclearly speak againstnthis system??
Any hint is very appreciated
Thanks and bw
Axel

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com

johnriley

Link Posted 27/05/2013 - 18:28
This really isn't the place for this, being Pentax User. I would compare the reports on EPZ, DPR and other usual places.
Best regards, John

AxelLuther

Link Posted 27/05/2013 - 19:31
johnriley wrote:
This really isn't the place for this, being Pentax User. I would compare the reports on EPZ, DPR and other usual places.

This is anPentax forum - isn't this the ideal place for such a comparison as we are users?? I would expect Pentax experts here and if they have used an A77 as well, they are great candidates to compare it.
Many of us also use other lenses and not just Pentax and ask questions about those or discuss them herenin the forums???
I would prefer to stay with Pentax as after years using them, I get more and more familiar with the haptic and I am very impressed aboutbthe build quality - but I am always open for atlernatives (e.g. - same with cars - my last 5 cars which I bought new, were from 4 different manufactors).
In forums like DPR you get a great technical comparison but it lacks the experience of having used these cameras in all different conditions, like bad wheather, bad light conditions, unusual posings (where you would have loved to have a moveable display) andandand.

Finally, this would also be beneficial for Pentax - it is great to hear people talking about how good your products are, but much more important is, to understand, why people decided not to buy your product. With such open feedback, a company can get first hand information how to improve a product and how to have the best possible product in the market. Customer feedback is a vital element of a design thinking product development approach - early prototyping, eliminating the weak parts and focusing on the customer demands......

If such feedback is not wanted, I can ask people in DPR instead.

Axel

You find more of my pictures here: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com

felix

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 13:05
Why not get the K30 and lenses like the DA18-135, the DA40XS, the 55-300 as replacement body and lenses instead of the alpha 77? The k30 has better AF than the K5 and is cheaper and uses the Li-Ion as well as 4AA batteries.
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8

JAK

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 14:21
Axel, are you sure the theft of you camera etc. is not covered by your household insurance?

John K
John K

gartmore

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 14:35
AxelLuther wrote:
johnriley wrote:

This is anPentax forum - isn't this the ideal place for such a comparison as we are users?? I would expect Pentax experts here and if they have used an A77 as well, they are great candidates to compare it.
Many of us also use other lenses and not just Pentax and ask questions about those or discuss them herenin the forums???
I would prefer to stay with Pentax as after years using them, I get more and more familiar with the haptic and I am very impressed aboutbthe build quality - but I am always open for atlernatives (e.g. - same with cars - my last 5 cars which I bought new, were from 4 different manufactors).
In forums like DPR you get a great technical comparison but it lacks the experience of having used these cameras in all different conditions, like bad wheather, bad light conditions, unusual posings (where you would have loved to have a moveable display) andandand.

Finally, this would also be beneficial for Pentax - it is great to hear people talking about how good your products are, but much more important is, to understand, why people decided not to buy your product. With such open feedback, a company can get first hand information how to improve a product and how to have the best possible product in the market. Customer feedback is a vital element of a design thinking product development approach - early prototyping, eliminating the weak parts and focusing on the customer demands......

If such feedback is not wanted, I can ask people in DPR instead.

Axel

Axel, this site has no official connection with Pentax, it is funded and hosted by ephotozine and moderated by volunteers. I think its unlikely that anyone on here has experience of the Sony A77.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Smeggypants

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 15:05
AxelLuther wrote:
johnriley wrote:

This is anPentax forum - isn't this the ideal place for such a comparison as we are users??

Probably, but someone might say the Sony is better.

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

cabstar

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 15:14
I would seriously doubt sonys commitment to any electronics project given more of their income now comes from underwiting insurance than selling electronics.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

davidstorm

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 18:37
felix wrote:
The k30 has better AF than the K5 and is cheaper and uses the Li-Ion as well as 4AA batteries.

This is a bit off-topic, but I doubt whether the K30 has better AF than the K-5II variants. If Axel is buying a new K-5 it would be a K-5II, not a Mk1.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

johnriley

Link Posted 28/05/2013 - 18:40
The K-5 II or IIs are the ones of choice really.

It is also a wonderful opportunity to really think about What Lenses. We all probably have a selection that's grown in a haphazard way, so starting again might mean some better choices and less redundancy.
Best regards, John

Papa_Lazarou

Link Posted 29/05/2013 - 09:21
davidstorm wrote:
felix wrote:
The k30 has better AF than the K5 and is cheaper and uses the Li-Ion as well as 4AA batteries.

This is a bit off-topic, but I doubt whether the K30 has better AF than the K-5II variants. If Axel is buying a new K-5 it would be a K-5II, not a Mk1.

Regards
David

Having owned the K-30, K-5 and now the K-5 IIS I would say the K-30 AF is better than the K-5. The K-5 IIS is even faster and more accurate IME. In low light it's in another league entirely!

AxelLuther

Link Posted 29/05/2013 - 09:38
JAK wrote:
Axel, are you sure the theft of you camera etc. is not covered by your household insurance?

John K

my household insurance covers with 2% of the household value when things are stolen out of the car - if I am lucky and they accept the fact, that the trailer is as the car, I get about 5% of the total loss payed back (the disadvantage when traveling with 5 persons and everyone has its own electronic equipment )

simonkit

Link Posted 29/05/2013 - 10:39
As John mentions you're probably not going to find many Sony users on here with the experience to compare models...unfortunately the PU forum does frown upon even the mention of another manufacturer so no doubt you'll quickly find yourself with a further wrist slapping

I'm currently debating my future with Pentax too as full frame is becoming more interesting to me and other manufacturers are the only option, Pentax are just a little too pedestrian when it comes to development, although they obviously don't have the budget of the bigger sellers.

There's some excellent comparison sites around but also look at a more general photography forum, such as Talk Photography, it's more open to debate between models and you'll obviously find a broader range of experience of different brands.

The K5 etc are excellent cameras but things are moving on quickly now and the K5ii whilst welcome isn't really anything groundbreaking considering it's basically a 3yr old design now

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 29/05/2013 - 10:41

aliengrove

Link Posted 29/05/2013 - 11:22
The only reason I could see for leaving Pentax would be for full-frame. The Alpha 77 certainly would not tempt me over a K5iis. DPreview, while praising the EVF and frame-rate of the Alpha 77, say that it's high ISO performance is not as good as the original K5 (or Nikon D7000). They weren't too impressed with the Jpegs either. It's also described as splash-proof, not weather-proof. The only advantage I can see at all is the articulating viewfinder, which is certainly not enough of a bonus to warrant putting up with worse low-light performance in my book. It does have the same advantages Pentax has in using in-body stabilisation and the ability to use legacy lenses.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Algernon

Link Posted 29/05/2013 - 11:33
Rumour sites claim Sony have abandoned Alpha mount APS-C
and will concentrate on full frame, but not until 2014.

All the people clamouring for Pentax full frame should note
that mint SH Sony A900's go for about £850 which is a massive
loss from new I'll wait until the price of a Pentax
FF drops to £850

'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 29/05/2013 - 11:36
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.