K5 Jamming and locking up ?

ChrisA

Link Posted 05/10/2011 - 17:18
tyronet2000 wrote:
So that rules out 99.9% of the "box shifting" stores then

Quite. The point is, it's fear (mostly, but not entirely unjustified), not lack of skill that is the issue, and taking it somewhere else could easily get you out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

whatsthisbuttondo

Link Posted 05/10/2011 - 17:31
Cant even turn mine on now shows full battery on top lcd, for split second then nothing . Battery in grip was showing emty thought it would switch to full one in camera but no. Took grip off battery out of camera replaced nothing cant turn on. To make matters worse sold gx20 at weekend thoroughly pissed off with k5

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/10/2011 - 17:32
ChrisA wrote:

So there's lots to weigh up. I can understand the trepidation (and I bet there isn't a single one of us that have done loads of firmware upgrades, that doesn't look a little nervously at the progress bar every single time).

Is it sad that every time I do a firmware upgrade I get this really bad urge to turn the camers off halfway through just to see what happens
. My Flickr

ChrisA

Link Posted 05/10/2011 - 17:33
Mike-P wrote:
ChrisA wrote:

So there's lots to weigh up. I can understand the trepidation (and I bet there isn't a single one of us that have done loads of firmware upgrades, that doesn't look a little nervously at the progress bar every single time).

Is it sad that every time I do a firmware upgrade I get this really bad urge to turn the camers off halfway through just to see what happens

OMG, you too !!!!!!!!!!!!
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

ChrisR

Link Posted 05/10/2011 - 20:34
ChrisA wrote:
ChrisR wrote:
When ever I have brought this subject up before on this forum, suggesting that the camera suppliers should offer firmware upgrade as a service, I have been advised that this operation is so simple, that anyone using a digital camera should be able to do it.

The skills required for a firmware upgrade are essentially these:

- To be able to read
- To be able to follow simple instructions one at a time, and without making mistakes

The instructions are of the nature "download file", "insert SD card", "press button", etc, none of which is any more complicated than things that anyone that uses a digital camera or a computer does all the time.

However, before you get all affronted by an implication that I assure you I am not making, it is undoubtedly the case that the consequences of doing a firmware upgrade wrong can be serious.

Accidentally stuffing up the copying of three images from a card to the computer, and turning your expensive camera into an attractive paperweight are not the same sort of thing at all, even though the skills required for each are almost identical.

It becomes an issue of weighing up the benefit of the new firmware (does it add features you need, or contain undocumented fixes for features you already have?), against your confidence in not making a mistake.

The issue is further complicated by the confidence you have in the guy in the camera shop that offers to do it for you.

Personally, I have more confidence in myself, than some random guy in a camera shop (Chris@SRS excepted), to do a firmware upgrade, or indeed go anywhere near my sensor.

Having a 'guarantee' that they'll get it sorted if it goes wrong, is all very well, but sending cameras away takes notoriously long, and they often come back in notoriously unexpected conditions too.

But getting someone else of dubious or at least unproven competence to do it is not necessarily the panacea you seek.

Yes I agree, read the instructions and carry out the procedure step by step, all is well until that one little glitch occurs, then is to late, realising, I do not have the necessary skill level to correct or form a workaround to get me out of the sticky stuff.
I am sure that “Lynton” whose post restarted this debate, would agree, after turning his K20, into an expensive door stop.

It’s the fear of the unknown.

I am now retired, but I would still have the confidence to over see the closing of the breakers on a high volt/current, power distribution lines, without fear, because in that situation, for me, there would not be the unknown. Could I respectfully ask, would you have the confidence to do that.

It is horses for courses, and I am afraid this horse, has a phobia of delicate electronics, and doesn’t mind admitting it.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

ChrisA

Link Posted 05/10/2011 - 21:18
ChrisR wrote:
I am sure that “Lynton” whose post restarted this debate, would agree, after turning his K20, into an expensive door stop.

Well, with respect, we have no information as to whether he did it right or not. All we know is that it went wrong. Doubtless he's sure he followed the instructions correctly, and I'm sure there's no video that can verify this. So, no disrespect to Lynton, we can't know for certain.

I know from my own general experience that sometimes, what I imagine I did isn't necessarily what the evidence shows I ought to have remembered doing

Quote:
...closing of the breakers on a high volt/current, power distribution lines, without fear, because in that situation, for me, there would not be the unknown. Could I respectfully ask, would you have the confidence to do that.

Is this the right question?

If you wrote down complete and accurate instructions, were confident that I was capable of following them, and knew me for the careful and methodical individual I often am, would you rather I followed them, or someone you didn't know who works in Curry's and is therefore 'qualified' to work with electrical equipment?

Quote:
...read the instructions and carry out the procedure step by step, all is well until that one little glitch occurs, then is to late, realising, I do not have the necessary skill level to correct or form a workaround to get me out of the sticky stuff.

The thing is, none of us does. If a firmware upgrade goes wrong, and the camera won't switch on, I doubt any of us can sort it out without sending the camera back for service. Personally, I'd be insane to try - I can't even see how to open it up, let alone work on the innards.

Bottom line: if you follow the instructions to the letter, it very rarely goes wrong. If this wasn't true, Pentax would not supply firmware upgrades for us eejits to apply ourselves, since they'd be deluged with busted cameras to fix.

But if it does go wrong, you send the camera in, and they fix it, and it costs a bit. It is not an irretrievable situation.

My point is, the fear is disproportionate.
Last Edited by ChrisA on 05/10/2011 - 21:27

whatsthisbuttondo

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 09:51
Just about to send mine back to srs after trying umpteen times one last try and it works . How long is gaurantee is it a year
pete

ChrisR

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 10:27
ChrisA wrote:
ChrisR wrote:

Well, with respect, we have no information as to whether he did it right or not. All we know is that it went wrong. Doubtless he's sure he followed the instructions correctly, and I'm sure there's no video that can verify this. So, no disrespect to Lynton, we can't know for certain.

I know from my own general experience that sometimes, what I imagine I did isn't necessarily what the evidence shows I ought to have remembered doing

Quote:
...closing of the breakers on a high volt/current, power distribution lines, without fear, because in that situation, for me, there would not be the unknown. Could I respectfully ask, would you have the confidence to do that.

Is this the right question?

If you wrote down complete and accurate instructions, were confident that I was capable of following them, and knew me for the careful and methodical individual I often am, would you rather I followed them, or someone you didn't know who works in Curry's and is therefore 'qualified' to work with electrical equipment?

Quote:
...read the instructions and carry out the procedure step by step, all is well until that one little glitch occurs, then is to late, realising, I do not have the necessary skill level to correct or form a workaround to get me out of the sticky stuff.

The thing is, none of us does. If a firmware upgrade goes wrong, and the camera won't switch on, I doubt any of us can sort it out without sending the camera back for service. Personally, I'd be insane to try - I can't even see how to open it up, let alone work on the innards.

Bottom line: if you follow the instructions to the letter, it very rarely goes wrong. If this wasn't true, Pentax would not supply firmware upgrades for us eejits to apply ourselves, since they'd be deluged with busted cameras to fix.

But if it does go wrong, you send the camera in, and they fix it, and it costs a bit. It is not an irretrievable situation.

My point is, the fear is disproportionate.

This is going know were, I have to accept that, yourself and others are comfortable in carrying out firmware upgrades, and that’s fine.

As I don’t have any skill level or experience in this field, I will not be attempting to carry out such an operation myself, and will not be shifted in my conviction that this is a service, that should be offered by camera suppliers, but I realise as firmware/software is not an exact science, this will never happen.

It does seem strange that “Lynton” and myself are the only ones prepared to hold up our hands, as not being comfortable in carrying out this procedure, may be its just the two of us, on this forum.

Stating the a person working in an electrical retail outlet is qualified to work on electrical equipment, has no relevance to, him or her being competent to work on electrical power distribution. Nor would I accept a person to work on power distribution equipment, however detailed the instructions were, unless that person was fully qualified to carry out such work, to do so would be extremely irresponsible.

I apologise for this thread going a little off topic.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

ChrisA

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 10:34
ChrisR wrote:
Stating the a person working in an electrical retail outlet is qualified to work on electrical equipment, has no relevance to, him or her being competent to work on electrical power distribution. Nor would I accept a person to work on power distribution equipment, however detailed the instructions were, unless that person was fully qualified to carry out such work, to do so would be extremely irresponsible.

Sorry if my analogy wasn't obvious.

If you were to take your camera to a camera supplier and they upgraded the firmware for you, it would be done by a shop employee.

The fact that they work there has no bearing on whether they know what they're doing, are careful, etc etc. So even if your camera supplier offered the service, you'd have no guarantee of a better result than if you did it yourself, other than having someone to blame if it went wrong.

You do have the skills, since you're capable of operating both a camera and a computer.

I won't bother trying to convince you otherwise any more, there's clearly no point.

My apologies too, for contributing to taking the thread off topic.

jeff0000

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 11:01
just read this 2 painful to look just looked in on poped by

link
playing firm but fair all the way

pianoman

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 11:03
I wonder if this will solve my issues ? Thanks for posting
Perhaps they will,when testing it upgrade the firmware as routine ?
All the best

David
Last Edited by pianoman on 06/10/2011 - 11:08

ChrisR

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 11:37
jeff0000 wrote:
just read this 2 painful to look just looked in on poped by

link

Another thanks for posting this link, very interesting.

Just tried my K5, the display does rotate to the correct way up, so I assume I have the latest firmware.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

ChrisA

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 12:49
ChrisR wrote:
Just tried my K5, the display does rotate to the correct way up, so I assume I have the latest firmware.

No need to assume.

Switch it on with the Menu button pressed and held, and it will report the firmware version.

Current is 1.11.
Last Edited by ChrisA on 06/10/2011 - 12:51

GDN

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 13:33
Pianoman & Puma, can I ask what type of memory cards are you using? I had a similar issue with a K20D and also a K7. The cameras locked up whilst shooting, quite often in burst mode and similar to you chaps I had to remove the battery to reset the camera.

If I looked at the memory card afterwards there would be a blank corrupted file which hadn't saved properly.

I returned my K20D and we couldn't replicate the issues in the shop, however I hadn't reformated the memory card which had been in the camera so I could show the shop assistant.

I put two and two together (and came up with seven but that't neither here nor there) and put it down to a corrupt/slow memory card.

So I purchased some quicker named-brand memory cards and (touch wood) I haven't had a similar problem or a problem with my K5.

Hope this helps
Gary

Pentax K3

My Flickr

pianoman

Link Posted 06/10/2011 - 13:44
Hi Gary I use Sandisk ultra and Extreme but I do format my cards pretty regular and had formatted them to eliminate the card being corrupt I think (only think) I covered most things but Im no great expert but I took the grip off (Pentax) changed battery even cleaned the contact points on the mount still no luck
I really hope this gets sorted as my original plan was to get another K5 as the 2nd unit rather than the K7 bit all plans on hold at the moment
All the best

David
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.