K3 iii delayed again.


malfis

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 08:44
DPReview are reporting further delays in the launch of the K3 iii due to parts delays.
This is part of the announcement from Ricoh:

"Development update regarding the PENTAXís new APS-C- format digital SLR flagship camera, PENTAX K-3 Mark III (second report)
RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. sincerely appreciates your support and patronage of PENTAX products.

We would like to present a progress report on the development of the PENTAX K-3 Mark III, the PENTAXís new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera, whose development was first announced to the public on October 27, 2020.

Although it was initially announced that this camera would be launched on the market around the world premiere show ďCP + 2021Ē of cameras and photographic images, scheduled to be held from February 25 to 28, 2021.

As some of the product parts are delayed, and we have determined that development will require a greater amount of time for us to achieve the exceptional performance and finest quality that is the hallmark of next aps-c flagship model.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause,and ask for your kind understanding of our development efforts."
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!

Nigelk

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 12:25
Perhaps we can look forward to it being available in 2022. This way it will be a pleasant surprise if it arrives sooner.

malfis

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 12:42
Nigelk wrote:
Perhaps we can look forward to it being available in 2022. This way it will be a pleasant surprise if it arrives sooner.

The way it's going 2022 is optimistic.
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!

MrB

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 13:30
Presumably the R&D has continued, so it might be another first for Pentax if the K-3 III and its successor the K-3 IV are ready for release at the same time.

Philip

Lubbyman

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 14:11
We don't know what has caused the delays to the 'product parts'. A lot of things are being delayed due to Covid-19. It only needs a production facility to be closed for a while, or key people in a development team to get the bug, and every sheduled date goes out the window. And if there's a delay in getting parts, it makes sense to spend the time tweaking things (i.e. development) so the final thing is as good as can be. Speaking personally, I think it's remarkable how companies have been managing to keep things going through an incredibly difficult period.

Steve

malfis

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 15:52
Lubbyman wrote:
We don't know what has caused the delays to the 'product parts'. A lot of things are being delayed due to Covid-19. It only needs a production facility to be closed for a while, or key people in a development team to get the bug, and every sheduled date goes out the window. And if there's a delay in getting parts, it makes sense to spend the time tweaking things (i.e. development) so the final thing is as good as can be. Speaking personally, I think it's remarkable how companies have been managing to keep things going through an incredibly difficult period.

Steve

Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm et al, don't seem to be having the same problems. To me it appears to be another cop out.
I want to buy one - it's most frustrating.
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!

RobL

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 16:49
The phrasing of the announcement sounds a bit desperate, we donít know what the true problem is but this is the second time the launch has been delayed so something isnít right. With other manufacturers surging ahead with new products this is a very poor reflection on Pentax management.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 18:46
RobL wrote:
The phrasing of the announcement sounds a bit desperate, we donít know what the true problem is but this is the second time the launch has been delayed so something isnít right. With other manufacturers surging ahead with new products this is a very poor reflection on Pentax management.

Or a reflection of the difficulties that Covid can cause for a small organisation (Ricoh may be big, but the Pentax bit isn't). Japan is still in a 'state of emergency', most of it will remain so until March 7th. Goodness knows what the situation is in other SE Asian countries that supply or assemble bits and pieces. A quick glance at the WWWeb (so it must be true...) shows that Nikon warned about supply delays due to the impact of the state of emergency while "Apparently, Canon was originally planning to announce a new camera body and a couple of lenses at CP+, which was due to begin on 25 February. However, due to "manufacturing challenges", these plans have now had to be cancelled".

Of course, Pentax may simply be dooooomed... (as usual ).

Steve

pschlute

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 20:31
malfis wrote:
Lubbyman wrote:
We don't know what has caused the delays to the 'product parts'. A lot of things are being delayed due to Covid-19. It only needs a production facility to be closed for a while, or key people in a development team to get the bug, and every sheduled date goes out the window. And if there's a delay in getting parts, it makes sense to spend the time tweaking things (i.e. development) so the final thing is as good as can be. Speaking personally, I think it's remarkable how companies have been managing to keep things going through an incredibly difficult period.

Steve

Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm et al, don't seem to be having the same problems. To me it appears to be another cop out.
I want to buy one - it's most frustrating.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/news/new-canon-camera-delayed
Peter



My Flickr page

johnriley

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 23:19
Also, Nikon are closing their Japanese factories and moving to Thailand I think.
Best regards, John

Flan

Link Posted 18/02/2021 - 23:33
My own bobs worth, I think they mightíve been gaging the interest in this product from the Pentax supporters . And maybe with the the analysis and feedback it might not be the time for a full production run. To my eyes the camera that they showed at their last announcement seemed unfinished. The lack of the articulating rear screen of some sort was a mistake. While I feel it was going to be a fast professional reporters camera with many new features including updated autofocus system it just seems that the bean counters at Ricoh said no ,not know. Iím probably wrong but covid did put a spanner in the works so who can blame them.

RobL

Link Posted 19/02/2021 - 08:42
johnriley wrote:
Also, Nikon are closing their Japanese factories and moving to Thailand I think.

I believe there is also a plan in place to reduce Japanís dependence on China by moving production back home so there could be friction and difficulties in supplies there.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 19/02/2021 - 11:11
Whatever the reason(s)..it gives people longer to save up for it anyway!

Hopefully they will still announce something new...a 70-300 or maybe a new convertor...every little thing helps.

barkin

Link Posted 19/02/2021 - 11:18
But...but...but...didn't everybody's current cameras stop working the day it was first rumoured?

JAK

Link Posted 19/02/2021 - 13:53
barkin wrote:
But...but...but...didn't everybody's current cameras stop working the day it was first rumoured?

You'd think so, wouldn't you?
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.