Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K3 & F*250-600mm, little birdies!

Unlocker
Posted 27/03/2014 - 01:19 Link
As promised in the earlier thread some more shots taking on my first trip out with new K-3 paired with the F* 250-600mm, they will show slightly larger when clicked on!!

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Posted 27/03/2014 - 03:14 Link
Outstanding work.
Fletcher8
Posted 27/03/2014 - 06:48 Link
Danny, the second and third images really hit the mark for me personally, they work really well. The images also seem to have more pop to them than the Blackbird image you uploaded the other day, have you processed these images any differently?
Fletcher8.
Smeggypants
Posted 27/03/2014 - 07:46 Link
As "archive the species" shots #2 and #4 are perfect

#3 is a great composition.

#1 is more of a personality shot, but I'd desaturate the background slightly to help the birdie pop a bit.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Algernon
Posted 27/03/2014 - 09:24 Link
These are great. That lens has really nice bokeh for bird
photos. 2 and 3 are my favourites.

The 1st one looks focussed just in front of the bird, judging
by the grass.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Blythman
Posted 27/03/2014 - 17:01 Link
Lovely seperation from the background in #2 and #3 Danny.

Had an invasion of yelllowhammers last week after seeing none at all at the same spot the weekend before. Such bonny little birds, but I didn't manage anything decent off the ground, which you need to throw the background out.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Unlocker
Posted 27/03/2014 - 17:45 Link
Glowingblue wrote:
Outstanding work.

Thanks!

Fletcher8 wrote:
Danny, the second and third images really hit the mark for me personally, they work really well. The images also seem to have more pop to them than the Blackbird image you uploaded the other day, have you processed these images any differently?

Hi Fletcher, processing is almost identical to the Blackbird, bit of noise reduction on the RAW file and edge sharpening on the bird and brighten the eye up a bit. The 'pop' is more down to the clean background, certainly helps a lot.

Will definately be sneakily setting up some more photogenic branches with clean backgrounds around the bird feeders if I can get away with it!

Smeggypants wrote:
As "archive the species" shots #2 and #4 are perfect

#3 is a great composition.

#1 is more of a personality shot, but I'd desaturate the background slightly to help the birdie pop a bit.

It was a shame no other birds sat on that fence post, it was perfect when the sun was out!

Did try darkening the background on the 1st shot and didn't quite work for me, didn't think of desaturating, so will try that when I get home!

Algernon wrote:
These are great. That lens has really nice bokeh for bird
photos. 2 and 3 are my favourites.

The 1st one looks focussed just in front of the bird, judging
by the grass.

--

The focussing on the Yellowhammer was a combination of leaning out of the bird hide whilst trying not to scare it off, trying to get a shot at all as the little bugger just would not sit still, narrow depth of field and learning the new focussing modes on the camera, it wasn't easy!

Having said that I do think it might be front focussing a bit / would like it to back focus a bit more as when shooting small birds, it's a lot easier to focus on the body than the eye. The problem here is at say 15ft away and at 600mm the depth of field is so narrow that even at F10 on a tiny bird, the 'shoulder' can be in focus with the eye out of focus!

Blythman wrote:
Lovely seperation from the background in #2 and #3 Danny.

Had an invasion of yelllowhammers last week after seeing none at all at the same spot the weekend before. Such bonny little birds, but I didn't manage anything decent off the ground, which you need to throw the background out.

Thanks, that fence post came in handy and the branch was conveniently cable tied between the 2 bird feeders!

Had the same problem with the Yellowhammers, they were spooked quite easily and were almost always on the ground but they are my first shots of them so will do for now!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.