Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K20D - external flash compatibility

Desguy
Posted 19/03/2010 - 15:51 Link
Hoping for some help on the flash trigger voltage/current characteristics the K20D can cope with.
(Yes my mint K20D arrived this morning)
I'm using the common mains slave flash which go under the names of AICO or Morris as per image:

Comment Image

The triggers of the masters are powered by 6v batteries, so I'm guessing these will not be a problem.
But I've got other guns which on occasion are useful to use to set-off the slaves from some distance. I can easily measure the trigger voltage/current on these, but I haven't been able to find out what the K20D can handle.

I also a read a post which seemed to suggested that there is a difference in capabilities between the sync socket and the hotshoe. I got the impression that the hotshoe was less susceptible to getting fried, but I may have misunderstood that.
John

K20D
MattMatic
Posted 19/03/2010 - 16:43 Link
Some have said that the PC socket is the most protected (based on a video comment from one of the Pentax guys - but this was only inferred from the fact that he said the PC socket was protected, but he didn't specifically mention a lack of protection on the hotshoe )

However, it appears that both use thyristor triggering technology (which causes the lockups with slaves that take too much trigger current) - and they have 300V minimum handling.

I would have said that when you measure the trigger voltage that if it's less than 50V you'll be fine (usual disclaimers apply!!). Anything more than that and you're likely to get a tingle or a belt off it if you touch it anyway

For the faint of heart there's always the Weinsafe sync cubes

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Edited by MattMatic: 19/03/2010 - 16:43
Desguy
Posted 20/03/2010 - 00:51 Link
Thanks Matt,
For quickness tonight I checked a National PE-387S and the trigger voltage was less than 3v. So I used that in the hotshoe to fire all the rest off without prob.
Quote:
likely to get a tingle or a belt off it if you touch it

I remember it well, my first. It was one of my dad's guns, a REGULA-WERK.
Never heard of it? If I say the powerpack casing is made of bakelite....
As a kid I tried testing it by shoving a paperclip into the sync plug socket.
That's when I found out for the first time what 210v feels like

Think I'll try to find out more about that "protected" thing.
Cheers.
John

K20D
adriano210
Posted 21/04/2010 - 23:57 Link
I not recomend to use anything with more then 20v, as bigger current will work also but nobody know how long, weak ago I burn a flash trigger with lamp unomat with 180v on shoe and that stuff had a good galvanic insulation, so please be careful, as fair as I know all pentax dedicated flashes are safe (all with more then one pin) i have af260sa and af240z, they work fine on k200d and k20d,
k20,k200,e-410,program A,k1000,p30t,Z20,om10,feed5,feed4,mz6,
Anvh
Posted 22/04/2010 - 00:29 Link
I had looked up the ISO of the hotshoe and it was rated to 24v so I expect that Pentax can handle at least that.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
adriano210
Posted 22/04/2010 - 08:47 Link
i heard that k20d will handle up to 50 V, but i like this camera to much to take a risk, two years ago I power russian (220v) flash with E-410 by mistake, and camera still work, but i will not doit again
k20,k200,e-410,program A,k1000,p30t,Z20,om10,feed5,feed4,mz6,

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.