Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K10D is Official on Pentax Canada

Arthur Dent
Posted 18/09/2006 - 01:54 Link
USD 915 at B&H in New York. Body only. I'm not sure the current exchange rate to GBP.
42 Comment Image
LiamD
Posted 18/09/2006 - 07:17 Link
Hi,

£486.29

I always use this..

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Arthur Dent
Posted 18/09/2006 - 14:11 Link
Thanks, Liam. I've bookmarked it.
42 Comment Image
zoik
Posted 18/09/2006 - 16:10 Link
hi, i'm new...

primarily, what i was hoping from the K10D - faster fps and a larger buffer for RAW...

oh well...
dexteruk
Posted 18/09/2006 - 18:32 Link
Do you think customs would notice if we clubbed together and someone flew to america to buy a dozen K10D bodies?
Mannesty
Posted 19/09/2006 - 02:49 Link
Dex

with your aerial transport connections, can't you organise it?

I hope the grip is working well for you, I'm only sorry that it is not compatible with the K10D

Regards,
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Joshua Hakin
Posted 19/09/2006 - 02:56 Link
what the hell people!!!!!!!!
919US at B&H.... thats awesome!!!!!!
ZaphodB... were you complaining about the price???
I was expecting this camera to come out at 1500-2000US.... when I saw the ACTUAL price at around $900 I was floored!!!
I payed $1800 for my istD a long time back! This new camera has tons of incredible features and is EVERYTHING I ever needed!!! It's a dream come true!
Thank you Pentax!
Damn! Weather sealed too!!! Shake reduction!!!
I dont EVER want to hear anyone else complain about the price in any way... I would, without question, pay as much a $2000 for this thing... but I dont have to! It's actually affordable!
It makes me sick to hear people quibble over a few quid here or there when the product is of such stellar proportions!
I'm gettin' one.
Mannesty
Posted 19/09/2006 - 03:09 Link
Bang for buck, what does the K10D offer to most of us, that the Sony alpha 100 doesn't at several hundred dollars cheaper?

OK, I know it is compatible with our range of lenses. What else?

I'm just purposely throwing petrol on an already blazing fire here. I'll be buying a K10D too. I'm just a bit miffed that Pentax could not have made the D-BG1 grip fit.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 19/09/2006 - 07:51 Link
It offers Pentax logistics and ergonomics. Pentax quality of contruction and results. Water/dust sealing of the body. A track record second to none of maintaining almost 100% backwards compatibility.

I think we should be comparing it at the Nikon D200 level, if we need to compare it at all! The price will soon fit the market in any event.
Best regards, John
Gwyn
Posted 19/09/2006 - 09:33 Link
Mannesty wrote:
Bang for buck, what does the K10D offer to most of us, that the Sony alpha 100 doesn't at several hundred dollars cheaper?

I'm just purposely throwing petrol on an already blazing fire here. I'll be buying a K10D too. I'm just a bit miffed that Pentax could not have made the D-BG1 grip fit.

Hopefully better quality photos - the ones I've seen from an Alpha stink - way too saturated and just not good.

I think the price is great - I paid over 800 euro for my *Ds in June 2005, but the publicity is useless. If I had just produced something like the K10D I would be shouting it from every roof top. It would make a nice change to see a Pentax ad on tv instaed of those really annoying Canon ones all the time!
Don
Posted 19/09/2006 - 12:16 Link
I think I read somewhere that the imaging chip was from sony....same as alpha.
don't believe everything you read, but it is possible....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
LiamD
Posted 19/09/2006 - 13:02 Link
Hi Don,

The Sony ICX493AQA sensor is (again apparently) the same as in both the Alpha and the Nikon D80.

link

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
smc
Posted 20/09/2006 - 10:15 Link
Mannesty wrote:

The Sony is probably somewhat underpriced to capture attention and initial market share (as is shown by sales results in Japan). Tht's marketing at work.

I suspect there will be a cut down K10D with the same sensor to replace the K100 series in 6 months time.

Also, one of the comments about the Sony in the AP review was that the body and materials are moulded like a cheap flashgun. let's hope the K10D is somewhat better made.
Pwynnej
Posted 20/09/2006 - 13:30 Link
I have seen a lot of the a100 on shelves - it looks like the 300D

cheap!!

but if they carry on working for a long time, then appearance doesn't matter...

I travel to the US several times later this year - I guess it might become difficult to 'pass' a camera shop if the K10D goes for the equivalent of less than 500 pounds....
ZaphodB
Posted 23/09/2006 - 15:55 Link
Joshua Hakin wrote:
what the hell people!!!!!!!!
919US at B&H.... thats awesome!!!!!!
ZaphodB... were you complaining about the price???

Yes, I was and I am. I don't live in the US. I can't get it for the equivalent of $919. The only online shop currently listing a price (Park Cameras) wants £999. That translates to just under $1,900. Which is... oh, right, 1500-2000US. On the higher end of that scale actually. So I'm not floored, except in the sense of being shocked it would cost so much.

Joshua Hakin wrote:
This new camera has tons of incredible features and is EVERYTHING I ever needed!!! It's a dream come true!

Good for you. It's not everything I ever needed. I liked 3200 ISO. 10-megapixel IMO is not the enormous leap from 6-megapixel everyone seems to think it is, and there's still no sign that Pentax are planning to use a larger sensor at any point in the future. But while it's not everything I would like, it's still enough of an improvement over the 6-megapixel Pentax range (which by now are pretty old technology) to mean I would like to buy it. At a reasonable price. Not at nearly £1000.

Joshua Hakin wrote:

It makes me sick to hear people quibble over a few quid here or there when the product is of such stellar proportions!

Well I'm sorry for making you ill. But I don't think a difference of around £300 between this and the competition is "a few quid". It's quite a lot of quids actually. And I'm really not sure how you can already tell the product is of 'stellar proportions'. When I see that the K10d handles noise significantly better at higher ISO levels than the Sony Alpha which uses the same sensor, and when I see the actual benefits of those 22 bits, then maybe I'll agree it's stellar. But I still won't pay nearly £1000 for it. It's simply not a competitive price, and frankly I should be able to buy a Pentax camera for a competitive price in my own country rather than having to fly myself or the camera across the ocean (for which I would also need a good worldwide warranty, since I've already bought one faulty Pentax dSLR).

If the camera sells in the UK for around £700-£800 body only I will think the price is good. If it sells for less I will consider it competitively, even aggressively priced (both terms have been banded around regarding this camera). But £999 is neither. £999 happens to be the only price currently listed in the UK, so it's all I can go on.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.