K10 D 1.3 version update... ( for a novice)


Kal 10 d

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 21:37
I only bought my K10 D 2 weeks back and i have just been reliably informed that a 1.3 version update is available.

As i'm only a newbie .........................................................................
A =is it necessary for a novice
B= will it change anything on the camera that i may have only just got used to....
C= does it make a huge difference to any results..if so ....what please !!!

Your guidance's will be greatly appreciated....thank you..
K10 d-18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose..

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 22:18
Well, I don't suppose it is essential, but Pentax will fix any bugs they find when they update the firmware, so it might be more reliable.

The first update, I think, enabled wireless flash using the RTF, and 1.3 activates the focussing of SDM lenses.

If you don't use these, you can probably get away without an upgrade.

However, it really is very simple.

Download and unzip the file.
Copy it to an SD card.
Place the card in the camera, and switch on while pressing the menu switch.
It'll ask if you wish to upgrade, and you say yes.

That's it. (Those are from memory - check the isntructions first)

And use a freshly charged battery.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 22:43
George Lazarette wrote:
check the isntructions first

This is one of the best malapropisms I've come across in a long while. Absolutely splendid, George, top marks.

The instructions, however, are here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=8793673

They look hard, but they aren't. Follow them carefully, and there'll be no ructions.

Kal 10 d

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 22:50
ChrisA wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
check the isntructions first

This is one of the best malapropisms I've come across in a long while. Absolutely splendid, George, top marks.

The instructions, however, are here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=8793673

They look hard, but they aren't. Follow them carefully, and there'll be no ructions.

Whats that word then....????
K10 d-18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose..

ChrisA

Link Posted 26/02/2008 - 22:55
Kal 10 d wrote:
ChrisA wrote:
Quote:
check the isntructions first

This is one of the best malapropisms I've come across in a long while. Absolutely splendid, George, top marks.

The instructions, however, are here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=8793673

They look hard, but they aren't. Follow them carefully, and there'll be no ructions.

Whats that word then....????

According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary:

"The mistaken use of a word in place of a similar sounding one."

The example it gives is to "dance a Flamingo" (instead of a Flamenco).

I just liked the idea of "isn't ructions".

Sorry, George is the expert at arcane words, I'm a mere apprentice. You should see the ones he comes out with.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 00:24
Chris,

Even Homer nods.

I have observed that my occasional lapses cause glee in some quarters; and I must say I am delighted to be the bringer of pleasure, no matter how fleetingly.

However, I should, in the interests of accuracy, point out that my error was not a malapropism, but a humble typo.

May I commend to you my motto: "Only use long words when you know what they mean." (Or when nobody else does.)

We are both guilty of schadenfreude, it seems.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Clarky

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 02:05
George Lazarette wrote:
Chris,

Even Homer nods.

I have observed that my occasional lapses cause glee in some quarters; and I must say I am delighted to be the bringer of pleasure, no matter how fleetingly.

However, I should, in the interests of accuracy, point out that my error was not a malapropism, but a humble typo.

May I commend to you my motto: "Only use long words when you know what they mean." (Or when nobody else does.)

We are both guilty of schadenfreude, it seems.

G

Thats a good motto and George and you use it well. I guess its similar to mine. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, you baffle them with bullsh#t
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

iceblinker

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 05:14
Kal 10 d wrote:
I only bought my K10 D 2 weeks back and i have just been reliably informed that a 1.3 version update is available.

As i'm only a newbie .........................................................................
A =is it necessary for a novice

It's definitely worth doing for the bug fixes and extra features.

See http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=8793673

Quote:

B= will it change anything on the camera that i may have only just got used to....

No, and even your current custom settings will be preserved.
~Pete

ChrisA

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 08:00
George Lazarette wrote:
However, I should, in the interests of accuracy, point out that my error was not a malapropism, but a humble typo.

You're right of course, and I did know that. Sorry I'm such a Philippine...

What's the right word, then, for "creating an amusing alternate meaning by transposing two letters in a word"?

Mannesty

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 08:13
ChrisA wrote:
What's the right word, then, for "creating an amusing alternate meaning by transposing two letters in a word"?

Easy, that's a 'snooperism'.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 10:00
Mannesty wrote:
ChrisA wrote:
What's the right word, then, for "creating an amusing alternate meaning by transposing two letters in a word"?

Easy, that's a 'snooperism'.

Good one.

Here on Pentax User we are all shining wits, unlike our contemporaries on DePressing Review.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 10:35
Mannesty wrote:
Easy, that's a 'snooperism'.

George Lazarette wrote:
Here on Pentax User we are all shining wits, unlike our contemporaries on DePressing Review.

I bow to the masters.

Kal 10 d

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 17:33
ChrisA wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
Easy, that's a 'snooperism'.

George Lazarette wrote:
Here on Pentax User we are all shining wits, unlike our contemporaries on DePressing Review.

I bow to the masters.

...aah...the sages are among us....
K10 d-18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose..

Unlocker

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 17:44
ChrisA wrote:
Sorry I'm such a Philippine...

And it's Philestine!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

Mannesty

Link Posted 27/02/2008 - 17:56
Unlocker wrote:
ChrisA wrote:
Sorry I'm such a Philippine...

And it's Philestine!

Not Palestine? Stop it, my sides are acheing.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.