Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K1 to K1 II upgrade path

Mike-P
Posted 22/02/2018 - 21:31 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:

that's the price to change... making the value of a excellent K-1 with less than 10k clicks £1100...

Yes but that's the trade price, SRS will add something before selling them on to the public. I would imagine 20% markup on used equipment.
Posted 22/02/2018 - 22:44 Link
As a K1 user and long term Pentax user I think the offer to upgrade the camera spec bringing it in line with the newly launched model is something I haven't come across from any other manufacturer. It does sound like a great gesture by Ricoh (Pentax) to their customers, if maybe a little pricey, to enable us to benefit from the promised improvements :-
Improved high sensitivity performance
Improved high-speed Auto Focus
Improved image resolution through handheld Pixel Shift Resolution

For me I would like to wait and see if the first two improvements are significant to pay the upgrade fee because up to now I have found the K1 impeccable for my style of photography.

It wasn't long ago many of us agreed we would pay for firmware updates and now we are offered both firmware and hardware updates at a cost. My only fear, in using my cash to invest in new lenses rather than the update, will leave me with the original K1 and no future firmware update releases, although I guess that's inevitable at some point.

What do you think you will do before the end of September cut off ?
“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams
Mike-P
Posted 22/02/2018 - 23:07 Link
Fishbones wrote:

Probably one of 5 things .....

1.Do nothing
2.Part exchange the K-1 for a MKII
3.Pay £450 to upgrade the MKI to a MKII
4.Sell the K-1 privately and buy a MKII
5.Sell the lot and take up fishing.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 1 but it depends on how good the AF improvements are.
Chrism8
Posted 23/02/2018 - 06:58 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Fishbones wrote:

Probably one of 5 things .....

1.Do nothing
2.Part exchange the K-1 for a MKII
3.Pay £450 to upgrade the MKI to a MKII
4.Sell the K-1 privately and buy a MKII
5.Sell the lot and take up fishing.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 1 but it depends on how good the AF improvements are.

Me to, defiantly #1
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
RobL
Posted 23/02/2018 - 08:07 Link
Despite my comments on the cost/value of the upgrade I am becoming more inclined towards that as an option rather than trade up given my low shutter count; although two years old my K1 is as good as new and there is no rational reason to swop it. In another two years we will be facing the same dilemma again when a completely new body gets launched so do I want to keep changing at a cost just to keep up? The added performance would be nice but for now I am more than happy with my K1 so will do nothing as well.
darkskies
Posted 23/02/2018 - 08:40 Link
I would definitely want to know if the improved AF and improved performance at high ISO make a difference. Those 2 things are important for my gig photography.

Fortunately, we have time to find out, before the upgrade window is upon us.
This space deliberately left blank.
Mike-P
Posted 23/02/2018 - 09:45 Link
interestingly at todays exchange rate the conversion would cost £357 in the USA and £365 in Canada.

My thinking at this time is that I only use the K-1 when I may need the better ISO performance (which is not that often tbh), for most other stuff like wildlife, aircraft etc I use the K-3II or Canon so perhaps AF performance on the K-1 is not that important after all and I would just be throwing away money to have it upgraded.

I am still surprised that the K-3II is being discontinued and nothing is replacing it though, the KP (as good as it is ISO wise) is not a top spec APS-C body imo.

I also wonder how much would have been done with the announced firmware update that was cancelled at the last moment.
Algernon
Posted 23/02/2018 - 11:26 Link
£350 sounds tempting, but £450 is far too much for just a circuit board. I can't see why it should be dearer in the UK? The Japan to UK exchange rate is still quite good.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
HarisF1
Posted 23/02/2018 - 11:41 Link
The KP at the moment can perform very close to the level of the K-1 in terms of ISO performance (actual DR obviously varies) so I can't wait to see what the FF sensor can do. The samples look great so far but I'm looking forward to seeing what the community can do. I won't necessarily use the AF.C improvements as I'm not a big tracking AF guy, but the improvement might still be worth it for me.

The KP is going to be a massive bargain buy when the new APS-C body comes out.
All the gear with no idea
sebas77
Posted 23/02/2018 - 14:02 Link
I don't understand how can ISO and SR improve just changing the circuit board?!
Posted 23/02/2018 - 14:34 Link
hi Sebas77 I am assuming it is the inclusion of the accelerator unit only as the K1 already (as far as I know) sports the Prime IV engine and SR II. I also imagine as it is fitted to the mother board it would mean a complete swop out along with the firmware update we were expecting last month.

I am no expert though
“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams
Algernon
Posted 23/02/2018 - 15:43 Link
Jealous Fuji have been quick coming up with a Shake Reduction Update and it's FREE!

https://fujifilm-blog.com/2016/06/16/banish-camera-shake-with-a-stringpod/

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 23/02/2018 - 15:50
DaveKitson
Posted 23/02/2018 - 16:26 Link
Algernon wrote:
Jealous Fuji have been quick coming up with a Shake Reduction Update and it's FREE!

https://fujifilm-blog.com/2016/06/16/banish-camera-shake-with-a-stringpod/

--

pgweber
Posted 23/02/2018 - 17:38 Link
Both the K1 and K1.ii have: "SAFOX 12 with 33 sensor points and full-frame-proportioned AF frame."

The difference in the K1.ii seems to be:
"...Its AF Tracking algorithm has also been revised to improve tracking accuracy of fast-moving subjects in the AF.C (AF Continuous) mode."

Another incremental improvement then, to get there eventually?
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.