K1 Mk 2 review - disappointing to say the least

Daronl

Link Posted 15/05/2018 - 23:03
See link below

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-ii-review/2

Getting further behind the rivals including the original Mk1 K1.

Come on Ricoh wake up
Daronl

HarisF1

Link Posted 15/05/2018 - 23:49
It was not done with proper diligence and rigour so will be repeated. The K-1ii shouldn't be worse than the K-1 so the initial results were very strange.

JAK

Link Posted 15/05/2018 - 23:50
I'm not really sure what they believe they've gained from the 'update.' As to the images the original K-1 produces I've no issue at all; isn't it that that matters? I couldn't afford to swap systems every time a maker brings out a new camera, then to find its been over-hyped anyhow.
One point about the K-1ii that I wasn't aware of is that the pre-processor now bakes noise reduction into raw files. Wonder why they've done that? Given I like good raw files to work with that sounds like a good reason to stay with the K-1 v1 version after all. I'm not bothered with silly high ISOs or the new pixel shift either.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 15/05/2018 - 23:51

JAK

Link Posted 15/05/2018 - 23:52
HarisF1 wrote:
It was not done with proper diligence and rigour so will be repeated.

Is that fact or your gut feeling?
John K

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 00:18
JAK wrote:
HarisF1 wrote:
It was not done with proper diligence and rigour so will be repeated.

Is that fact or your gut feeling?

Here's the post about it: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61144073

JAK

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 01:31
HarisF1 wrote:
Here's the post about it: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61144073

Pleased they've picked up inconsistencies and keeping them on it!
John K

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 05:13
The Mk2 might yet be a bit of a disappointment but I can't understand why Ricoh would intentionally do so much damage to their rep with such a release (if the claims about NR and destroying image data are true).

The Mk1 was a huge success so to follow it up with something that actively hurts the brand is downright stupid.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 07:46
People over at the US forum are really up-in-arms over this but there are a lot of fanboys involved who don't seem capable of looking at things objectively. I'm not sure about the rigours of testing but the article certainly has the typical DPR whiff of anti-Pentax bias in it, especially disappointing as they had improved in this regard over the last few years.

Personally, I don't think I'd be too concerned about minutiae of image quality at silly ISOs on a FF camera that has just about the best image quality that money can buy in a camera. Yes, I'd prefer to make my own decisions on the application of NR and I'd favour noise over destructive smoothing, but the chances of that being an issue are tiny.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 08:28
Yeah, my K1 MkII has been a terrible dissappointment, so much so that I've improved my "keeper rate" significantly.

it can't handle ISO6400 at all..

the Dynamic Range is terrible..

it doesn't deal with detail..

it can't cope with subtle shades of colour..

it introduces jagged, spikey artifacts near in focus subjects..

it's just poor overall..

I wish I hadn't wasted my money

LennyBloke

spinno

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 08:30
LennyBloke wrote:
Yeah, my K1 MkII has been a terrible dissappointment,

I have a spare tenner would that be enough to take it off your hands, or maybe you should pay me
David

LennyBloke

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 08:41
spinno wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:

I have a spare tenner would that be enough to take it off your hands, or maybe you should pay me

You're too kind - but imagine the guilt I would feel if you had to deal with all these issues every time you took the camera out
LennyBloke

bjolester

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 08:48
Daronl wrote:
See link below

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-ii-review/2

Getting further behind the rivals including the original Mk1 K1.

Come on Ricoh wake up

There is a 24 page thread over at the American Pentaxforum about the dpreview of the Pentax K-1ii. The majority of comments doubt the quality of testing which the review is based on. Furthermore there seems to be an agreement that dpreview is very much pro mirrorless (Sony) and CaNikon, and negative towards Pentax.

link
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

RobL

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 09:07
Nicely played, Lennybloke! When I read this article it put serious doubts about whether I should go ahead with the internal upgrade of my K1, and still unsure. The ISO performance should also be apparent at say 800, not just the silly levels everyone says they don’t need so I would be interested to see how that pans out. I am attracted by the improved autofocus more than anything else though.

spinno

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 09:09
LennyBloke wrote:
spinno wrote:
Quote:

You're too kind - but imagine the guilt I would feel if you had to deal with all these issues every time you took the camera out

I suppose you're right, but my offer still stands
David

Algernon

Link Posted 16/05/2018 - 09:09
Pixel peeping DPR samples really is sick. There's nothing between any of the cameras. They are made for taking photos not this nonsense.

One camera only needs slightly more sharpening than the others to look the best.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 16/05/2018 - 09:15
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.