K1 and Aperture Priority instead of Manual.

loadoftripe

Link Posted 28/05/2022 - 20:16
I seem to have improved (hopefully) my photos using AV instead of Manual, (one day I might try Auto shock horror) following pics are more or less SOOC but for increasing exposure half a stop as were shooting at 1 stop under (don't know why but read it somewhere as best to do for the K1). Used the 28-105 D-FA WR kit lens but with a CPL using step up rings so maybe some slight vigneting. Taken yesterday Friday morning and weather was glorious and I just had to - couldn't help myself, low tide and place was empty and fantastic scenery...... enjoy;

3. Brittany Ferry the Pont Aven returning to Plymouth on the Horizon.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 28/05/2022 - 23:32
Enjoyed...
Be well, stay safe.

drofmit

Link Posted 29/05/2022 - 00:16
Nice set....
You write about EV as follows "don't know why but read it somewhere as best to do for the K1"
It has always held good for any camera to underexpose... film or digital.... I use -o.3 or -o.7 as a standard.
The reason is that you can always pull detail out in the darkroom.... or nowadays with Lightroom or Photoshop etc.... but if you overexpose an area of white and blow the detail, that is it.... gone forever!
Never be afraid to talk about your techniques...
"Give a thousand photographers...
the same camera, lens and scene...
and you'll always get a thousand different takes!!"
Anon.

loadoftripe

Link Posted 29/05/2022 - 08:10
It has always held good for any camera to underexpose... film or digital.... I use -o.3 or -o.7 as a standard.
The reason is that you can always pull detail out in the darkroom.... or nowadays with Lightroom or Photoshop etc.... but if you overexpose an area of white and blow the detail, that is it.... gone forever![/quote]

Ah yes that's it, I remember now thank you, must have been a .Senior moment,
Thanks for the comments

davidwozhere

Link Posted 31/05/2022 - 00:24
There's nowt wrong with those!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Benz3ne

Link Posted 31/05/2022 - 09:09
Lovely shots! I use aperture priority on my two cameras - it's such a simple way of getting a good end result. With my two cameras I can also set a minimum shutter speed, plus I'll chuck it on auto-iso so I only really need to worry about the aperture. The EV compensation dials then give me the ability to over/underexpose as I see fit! Simple stuff!

pschlute

Link Posted 31/05/2022 - 09:31
Nice set...I can smell the sea air

Av mode is the one I use most of the time when hand holding a camera. Especially for scenes like this where DOF is your main priority and the light is bright enough to not worry about too slow a shutter speed.

I tend not to dial in a general underexposure compensation, but then I do rely on reviewing the histogram for each shot and adjust accordingly. Where there is a high contrast scene I also recommend bracketing your exposures and merging them in software, or simply use the HDR feature in the K1 directly.
Peter

My Flickr page

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 31/05/2022 - 09:31
Rather than just uniformly under-exposing, it's better advice to "expose to the right", the right of the histogram that is. This is to get the maximum exposure without clipping any highlights to maximise the flexibility of RAW files since shadows can almost always be brought up but highlights, if clipped in the RAW, cannot be restored.

I almost always use Av mode on any camera I use. I find it easy to get good results while retaining easy control of depth of field and overall sharpness.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

loadoftripe

Link Posted 31/05/2022 - 11:13
Thank you all for the helpful comments, appreciated.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.