K-x focusing screen

robbieclark

Link Posted 04/02/2011 - 10:47
I've been finding it difficult to focus with manual focus lenses. Yes the focusing indicator usually works but I wanted the kind of aids that I used to have using manual focus in the past. THe solution seemed to be to fit a split prism focussing screen.
Looking around various forums I identified two suppliers with a good reputation. One in the US and one in Taiwan - focusingscreen.com. Budget dictated the second.
Now recieved - well packaged with all the necessary tools - latex finger stools and tweezers.
After reading and rereading the instructions on their website, fitting the screen was straightforward and took about 5 minutes.
Result:
Excellent for my pentax 1.7 50mm.
Pentacon 2.8/135(the older one with amazing bokeh due to 16 curved aperture blades) very good wide open, fine at f4 some darkening but perfectly usable at f8, centre prisms too dark above that.
Macro bellows - too dark all the time especially in the centre - but I usually use liveview for macro work.

So far I've got what I wanted for manual lenses. I always focus wide open anyway, a little restrictive for macro work.

Total cost was about $60.
reversible should you need to.
I may find some other issues with it, so I will post again with an update when I've spent more time with it.
I'm interested in other people experiences/opinions on this.

johnriley

Link Posted 04/02/2011 - 14:01
Many users still don't realise how to adjust the dioptre correction on the eyepeice and it's always a good idea to check that before going to the expense of other options.

Point the camera at a blank wall (defocused is best) and adjust the slider over the eyepiece until the lines etched on the focusing screen are at their sharpest. Job done. Now your eye is at rest when viewing the focusing ecsreen and manual focus will be much easier.

After helping someone else out with this last night, perhaps I should add also make sure the eyepiece glass is actually clean....
Best regards, John

robbieclark

Link Posted 04/02/2011 - 15:32
Good advice, the dioptre adjustment is often forgotton.
I always check this.
I suspect that part of the manual focusing difficulty is the relatively small size and brightness of pentamirror finders.
Do you feel that assistance from the screen is unecessary and can be avoided by better technique?
Rob

johnriley

Link Posted 04/02/2011 - 15:36
I think it depends very much on the individual's eyesight. Some people, myself included, find manual focusing very easy with even a plain screen. In fact when we had cameras with split image and mircroprism aids I used to always use the plain ground glass to focus.

Other photographers sometimes have terrible problems and it might be just one of those things.
Best regards, John

Blythman

Link Posted 04/02/2011 - 16:17
I find the green light to be more accurate than me
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Transit

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 12:59
robbieclark wrote:
I'm interested in other people experiences/opinions on this.

surely all you needed to do was adjust the diopter ?

I have the same issue as you but with my K-7. Being a mean sod, I am modifying an old diagonal split screen.
How is the metering effected with your new screen ?

Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

dcweather

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 15:47
The dioptre adjustment isn't the best on my K-x. It's a bit jerky between stops and there's no fine adjustment. There must be millions of over forties out there who have the problem of needing reading glasses for the screen and dioptre adjustment for the viewfinder which is difficult to use with glasses anyway!
Dave

robbieclark

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 19:34
transit
metering is affected a bit. I tend to use spot meter mostly and that seems now to underexpose a bit - so the centre spot must be brighter than the old screen (this is under low energy light bulbs - which I guess are close to tungsten).
I'll write some more when daylight and me not being at work next coincide.

Transit

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 20:49
Thanks robbieclark
Yes it seems spot is the most effected.
Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

Transit

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 20:54
johnriley wrote:
I think it depends very much on the individual's eyesight. Some people, myself included, find manual focusing very easy with even a plain screen. In fact when we had cameras with split image and mircroprism aids I used to always use the plain ground glass to focus.

Other photographers sometimes have terrible problems and it might be just one of those things.

This is interesting as I seem to be one of the people who have trouble.
I seem to be unable to tell whether I am at the point of focus or just near it. My micro memory of visuals seems faulty.

I forget if what I just saw was less or more focussed than what I now see. If you see what I mean
Quite annoying really !

Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River

Algernon

Link Posted 10/02/2011 - 09:19
Practice by focusing on the lettering on say a Corn Flakes box.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

robbieclark

Link Posted 24/03/2011 - 16:08
I've put the original screen back in, partly to check the difference and partly because I found the split screen annoying for macro use.
That said the screen was excellent, especially with slower lenses which I find less easy to focus due to a darker screen.
I also have turned the in focus beep back on and am trying to rely on a mixture of the camera indication and disciplining myself to look properly.
I'll see how we get on.
Rob
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.