Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-x - "make it or break it" for Pentax

gubak
Posted 17/09/2009 - 13:20 Link
Well, the K-x is based on the same body design as the K-m, which isn't weather-resistant either. To add weather sealing to this body would require a lot of re-engineering and probably didn't fit in with their time/cost plan for the K-x release.

To many this would appear to be an apparent step back from their nature/outdoors strategy given how much they pushed the weather and cold-resistant abilities of the K-7, as well as the weather-sealed kit lenses that were introduced along with it. But considering the financial environment we have seen in this past year, as well as the uncertainties that Hoya management had regarding where to take Pentax, I don't think we could expect them to introduce a new line of weather-sealed bodies in this time. So given this, I think the fact that the K-x is not weather-sealed is understandable (check on the official Pentax K-x video ), though obviously it's not desireable nor ideal.

That said, the K-x is a very pleasant surprise to me, and I suspect it's taken more than a few others by surprise too. Could this be the "make it or break it" for Pentax? Anyways, its success will bode well for Pentax (and us) for the next few years, and hopefully we'll see a more complete line of weather-sealed bodies and lenses in the near future.
George Lazarette
Posted 17/09/2009 - 13:33 Link
I think there will always be non-weather-sealed cameras at the lower end, in order to keep the price down. No need to read anything into this.

But it's nice to see this camera, and in most respects the spec is excellent.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
KZ
Posted 17/09/2009 - 15:38 Link
gubak wrote:
Well, the K-x is based on the same body design as the K-m, which isn't weather-resistant either. To add weather sealing to this body would require a lot of re-engineering and probably didn't fit in with their time/cost plan for the K-x release.

To many this would appear to be an apparent step back from their nature/outdoors strategy given how much they pushed the weather and cold-resistant abilities of the K-7, as well as the weather-sealed kit lenses that were introduced along with it. But considering the financial environment we have seen in this past year, as well as the uncertainties that Hoya management had regarding where to take Pentax, I don't think we could expect them to introduce a new line of weather-sealed bodies in this time. So given this, I think the fact that the K-x is not weather-sealed is understandable (check on the official Pentax K-x video ), though obviously it's not desireable nor ideal.

That said, the K-x is a very pleasant surprise to me, and I suspect it's taken more than a few others by surprise too. Could this be the "make it or break it" for Pentax? Anyways, its success will bode well for Pentax (and us) for the next few years, and hopefully we'll see a more complete line of weather-sealed bodies and lenses in the near future.

An entry level camera must not be weather-sealed. An entry level camera must be cheap.
grahamwalton
Posted 17/09/2009 - 15:50 Link
With its good specification we can hope for some great reviews.

If Pentax get the marketing, supply and price right,then these should fly off the shelves. The cheeky colours may well capture the new buyers interest and fun.

The survival of our favourite brand could well rest with the popularity of this camera.
Friendly Regards
Graham
dangie
Posted 17/09/2009 - 16:09 Link
grahamwalton wrote:
....great reviews
....marketing
....supply
....price

All good points Graham. Lets hope they can get some on the shelves pretty quick and dealers who are prepared to sing the virtues of Pentax against the other big two or three (or four) whose names slip my mind..!!
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
RichardDay
Posted 17/09/2009 - 16:31 Link
The K-x seems an excellently spec'd mid/entry level camera with (hopefully) excellent high ISO and IQ performance.

The omissions of WS, top LCD and focus point confirmation are obvious limitations of the K-m body on which it is based. I suspect that many users would not even notice the lack of them.

If the sensor provides the expected improved noise performance (at both low and high ISO's), I would seriously consider one for that alone. I was somewhat disappointed that the K7 is no better than the K-20D in that area.

Ideally I would love a K20D body (I do prefer the design and ergonomics) with the new sensor if the noise levels are as I hope, but that is as likely to happen as that hot place freezing over!

Maybe we will see a variant (with no major feature omissions, i.e. still with pentaprism, two wheel hyper program controls, WS etc.,) of the K7 body with the 12MP sensor at a cost between the K-x and K7.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link
Mike-P
Posted 17/09/2009 - 16:49 Link
RichardDay wrote:

If the sensor provides the expected improved noise performance (at both low and high ISO's), I would seriously consider one for that alone. I was somewhat disappointed that the K7 is no better than the K-20D in that area.

Trouble is that as a prospective K-7 buyer I am going to be reluctant to pay the extra if that Sony sensor out performs the K-7 noise wise (even if the K-7 has weather sealing, 1fps more, extra dial, better focus points and top lcd).

I wonder if the K-7 could use the new A550 Sony Exmor 14MP sensor in the future.
Edited by Mike-P: 17/09/2009 - 16:51
Hardgravity
Posted 17/09/2009 - 16:59 Link
Pentax need to develop a 'range' of cameras.

If they keep the K-m, add the K-x, produce a 'cut down 12MP' K7 as well as the K7, then the press might just take the company seriously.

As for the K-x, I'll hold judgement until I've played with one.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Joe S
Posted 17/09/2009 - 17:33 Link
Like gubak, I was a bit surprised when I saw it but my immediate reaction was more "oh no... now, what happened to the newfound "outdoor" strategy?" I don't fear the K-x will be a "break it" camera for Pentax - I'm positive it will generate lots of sale. Specifications are good, the price is right and it has character! But I do feel this is a gimmick with a short life and in worst case it might be said to errode the "outdoor" profile Pentax have been pushing lately. It's not that every camera from Pentax should be build like a tank, but this camera signals the exact opposite: a toy, made to look smart on the shelves where it will match the Apple accessories.

So personally I hope this will be nothing more than a digression from the "outdoor" path. So mixed feeling here!

And then again, it is always exciting to be a Pentax shooter - You never have a clue what they are up to next!
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
Shaky
Posted 17/09/2009 - 18:11 Link
Mike-P wrote:
I wonder if the K-7 could use the new A550 Sony Exmor 14MP sensor in the future.

I don't think that would work at all unless Pentax were to develop a Canon style Mark II nomenclature and I can't see that happening somehow; otherwise it would simply be too confusing.

However, in order to retain some semblance of internal logic the product line up is now screaming either for a K8 or K30 or something that would put clear multi-coloured water in an aspirational direction between it and the KX.

As for this business abut weather sealing, thank God Pentax appear to have ditched that marketing message like the dog it is; the vast majority of prospective buyers want to identify with bright 'n breezy, warm and colourful and certainly not some mud-infested, damp squib.

Even so I very much doubt that the new multi-coloured line-up is the slam-dunk most appear to believe but at least it isn't a direct turn off.
chrissinkpen
Posted 17/09/2009 - 18:14 Link
I think Pentax did their homework on this camera.
The first DSLR (at this price point)with Full HD movie capture!!

Have Pentax made a bad DSLR??? I have every faith in the quality of their kit.

Regards

Chris
Mike-P
Posted 17/09/2009 - 18:28 Link
chrissinkpen wrote:

Have Pentax made a bad DSLR??? I have every faith in the quality of their kit.

As do I but I notice on a couple of large non branded forums I use that there is not one mention of the new K-x ... nor was there anything when the K-7 arrived.
nilescrane
Posted 17/09/2009 - 18:38 Link
Mike-P wrote:
As do I but I notice on a couple of large non branded forums I use that there is not one mention of the new K-x ... nor was there anything when the K-7 arrived.

But the average picture-taker doesn't visit forums, and is probably not even aware of specific ones.
Mike-P
Posted 17/09/2009 - 18:47 Link
nilescrane wrote:

But the average picture-taker doesn't visit forums, and is probably not even aware of specific ones.

Yes quite true but I was mentioning it more because I find it quite sad that such a good brand gets no mention at all on such forums.
Greytop
Posted 17/09/2009 - 19:07 Link
chrissinkpen wrote:
I think Pentax did their homework on this camera.
The first DSLR (at this price point)with Full HD movie capture!

Well 'full' HD movie capture is actually not correct, for that it would have to be capable of 1080P rather than 720P (1920 x 1080 verses 1280 x 720).
Still not to be sniffed at however
Regards Huw

flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.