Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-s2 Battery Issue

Posted 30/07/2023 - 20:24 Link
Hi,

Iím by no means an expert on photography or cameras so cut me a little slack.

I have a Pentax K-s2 camera which I brought when I retired about six years ago, generally it has served me well and for the cost was well worth the money.

Recently I have had a problem with the battery, it seems to not hold a charge for very long and will only take a few photographs before the battery dies. I brought another battery charged it up and the same think happed with the new battery. When the batteries are charged the charger indicates they have been charged.

Iím not sure if the problem is with the camera or the battery charger, I donít think it is the batteries.

Can anyone shed any light on my problem before I send in for a repair?

Kind regards

Steve
Spad
Posted 30/07/2023 - 22:16 Link
If two batteries are not holding a charge, it maybe worth trying a new charger.

Is there a camera shop nearby that stocks Pentax kit? They may be able to help.
The Legendary Terry Pratchett once said:
At the beginning there was nothing... which exploded
Edited by Spad: 30/07/2023 - 22:21
MHOL190246
Posted 31/07/2023 - 09:24 Link
Steve
I have just found this courtesy of Google https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/425796-ks-2-battery-die...

It might help, on the other hand...

Good luck

Michael
Posted 03/08/2023 - 19:09 Link
I have a K S2 and have used several different brands of batteries and chargers. An old battery no matter who makes it will over time will not hold the same charge. It incrementally holds less and less charge. This is the nature of lithium batteries the expected life is usually 500 charge cycles. I always turn off my camera when not in use to preserve the battery but even off it will lose its charge over time. I would suspect the charger if the new batteries are not charging to full. Off all the non-Pentax batteries and chargers I have found that the Kastar brand is good value and their dual bay chargers with meters are nice and can use micro or USB C cords.
roberrl
Posted 04/08/2023 - 09:44 Link
Just a thought but have you checked the battery contacts in the camera?
If the current is trying to fight through a layer of crud it may make the batteries look weak.
A hard eraser on the end of a pencil will often do the trick for cleaning the contacts.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.