Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-r and Energizer lithium AA batteries

Pikaholic
Posted 10/07/2017 - 20:32 Link
I have just bought some Energizer batteries for the K-r as my Eneloops were giving less than 200 shots. When I put them in and switched on the info screen came up but when I depressed the shutter release the sign came up 'Batteries depleted'. Since then I have tried everything possible to find out why this is. This includes cleaning all the contacts, testing the batteries (6.75v in battery holder), setting the battery type to Lithium from Auto-detect and then trying them in my K100D. This was a bit better and the battery showed nearly empty but I was able fire the shutter before it turned red. Later I was able to fire off 6 shots before the same result. As this was an improvement I put the batteries back in the K-r, which showed half full. I could playback all the previous pictures and even took a 17 sec video but ended up with the battery depleted. I couldn't understand the erratic responses I was getting so in final desperation I tried another new set of batteries. As soon as I switched on the dreaded message 'battery depleted' appeared. I wondered if the high voltage of 6.7 was too much for the cameras to handle.

If anyone has had a similar experience or has any ideas which might help, I will be very pleased to hear from them. Thank you, Bob (Pikaholic)
Old hand, slow fingers.
1stEverPentax
Posted 10/07/2017 - 20:54 - Helpful Comment Link
I don't think that the voltage is too high. I used to have a K-x which I used to run mainly off NiMh rechargeables rated at 1.2v each x4 but did on one occasion run off 4 lithium AA perfectly well. Lithium AA are generally about 1.7v ex factory each x4. As you can appreciate the camera would operate within quite a wide voltage range (4.8 - 6.8 )

I'm assuming that there won't be any appreciable difference in the operating characteristics power wise from a K-x to a K-r. Interestingly the Pentax D-Li109 that's in the K-50 and others is rated at 7.4v so for those classes of entry level cameras I should imagine this is at the top end of operating voltage.

I vaguely recollect this cropping up with other people a few years back but can't remember the outcome...sorry I can't be more help.

Karlo
Edited by 1stEverPentax: 10/07/2017 - 20:56
JAK
Posted 10/07/2017 - 21:02 - Helpful Comment Link
How is it with the D-Li109 ?
John K
Pikaholic
Posted 10/07/2017 - 21:17 Link
Thanks Karlo, that deals with the battery voltage query nicely. I have just read another post which raised the difference between battery voltage under load and without load. I can test this but not sure how much resistance the camera places on the battery, therefore what resistor to use.

Thanks Jak, the D-L109 works fine but I like using AA's and keep the D-L109 as a back up

Bob
Old hand, slow fingers.
JAK
Posted 10/07/2017 - 21:27 Link
Have you set the AA battery type correctly in set-up menu 3 ? If its set to auto, perhaps it is not getting it right for some reason.
John K
Edited by JAK: 10/07/2017 - 21:28
Pikaholic
Posted 10/07/2017 - 21:50 Link
Thanks again Jak, Yes, I tried both settings but kept it on 'Lithium'. I also reduced the pixel count to 2 mg to see if that eased the situation but it didn't.

Kind regards, Bob
Old hand, slow fingers.
JAK
Posted 10/07/2017 - 22:02 Link
Both settings? Aren't there three besides auto?
1. Lithium
2. Ni-MH
3. Alkaline
Also, are you on the current firmware v1.15 ?

Another thing to try is to completely run the batteries down and do a fresh recharge of them. The battery chemicals state of health might not be too good.
John K
Edited by JAK: 10/07/2017 - 22:04
Pikaholic
Posted 11/07/2017 - 15:11 Link
Thanks for your persistence John, in trying to help. You will be interested to hear that I have now proved that the batteries are dud. I tested them under load and the meter first reported a voltage of 6.4 and then started jumping through a random cycle of lower values right down to zero and back again. This explains why I was able to take a few shots before they hit zero and stopped the camera. This was not what I had expected from set of batteries from a well known make. They will be returned.

On the other points you mention, I had discounted the 'alkaline' option and the firmware is up to date. These lithium batteries are not rechargeable or that could have been an option.

Thanks again for your help. Kind regards, Bob
Old hand, slow fingers.
1stEverPentax
Posted 11/07/2017 - 19:18 - Helpful Comment Link
What date was on the batteries Bob? Those Energizer Lithium are normally good for quite a few years.

Probably worth investing in another set of rechargeable AA. Nowadays most of them for sale are the Ready To Use (RTU) low drain variety. A set of 4 decent branded 2400-2600mAh shouldn't cost you more than £2-£3 more than you are likely to have paid for the Lithium AA and should have a useful life of 3-4 years minimum.

Karlo
OldTaffy
Posted 11/07/2017 - 23:39 - Helpful Comment Link
You were evidently sold a bad batch of Lithium cells. I hope that the retailer will replace them or refund you.

My old K-x (bought from SRS in 2010) was notoriously bad at reporting 'dead battery', though the firmware upgrade helped. I thought that the K-r was better in that respect.

I have used eneloops and lithium cells in the K-x. Lithiums are expensive and not rechargeable, but they do have the advantage of holding their power during weeks of inactivity, whereas NiMH rechargeables do lose power if they are just sitting in the camera for a while. It just depends on your level of regular activity. If you use the camera frequently, then NiMH such as the newer eneloop 3UTGB (1900 mA.h) are likely to be the most economical if you charge them with an 'intelligent' charger. They do eventually lose ability to take and hold a good charge. The old 3UTGA eneloops that I bought seven years ago are no longer fit to use in the K-x (which doesn't get much use these days anyway!).

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
JAK
Posted 11/07/2017 - 23:43 - Helpful Comment Link
Pleased you have it sorted. Eneloops and Energiser Lithiums are both usually good with the K-m, K-x and K-r.
John K
sebas77
Posted 12/07/2017 - 10:15 - Helpful Comment Link
Energiser are really bad batteries in my experience. Eneloop pro or powerex are the only reliable batteries for this kind of applications
1stEverPentax
Posted 12/07/2017 - 10:33 - Helpful Comment Link
I've had a good experience with Ansmann...2600mAh and 2850mAh which are quite pricey but still cheaper than Eneloop and i've also used JCB successfully...2450mAh which are about £7 for 4...all in a K-x although i am going to be taking a set of JCB with me to Fairford to supplement my two Li109s. (These in my K-50)
Edited by 1stEverPentax: 12/07/2017 - 10:33
Algernon
Posted 12/07/2017 - 10:47 - Helpful Comment Link
Stick with Eneloops and buy a good charger. Most others are very poor and vary, plus the capacities are often overstated.

Lidyl Tronic Energy 2300 looked good a few years ago, but the last one's I bought won't last longer than 1200 mAh so I won't buy them again.

My first digital was a Nikon 600 in 1999 and Panasonics were the only batteries that lasted any length. Great batteries (no longer made) and still going strong after 1000's of uses.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Pikaholic
Posted 12/07/2017 - 17:36 Link
Thank you Karlo, Martin ,John, Sebas77 and Algi for your extra comments, They all add to my understanding of the problem, one way or another. I do appreciate your time and trouble very much. I will try and reply to the points you have all made in this one post, without too much repetition.

Karlo, the date on them is 12-2030, so they should have been good but were made in Singapore!!
Martin, the retailer will give me a refund. They need to check out their stock in case it is a dud batch. Your experience with the K-x is interesting. When using Eneloops the red battery indicator would show empty but I could go on taking shots for quite some time. Both you and Algi have referred to using an intelligent or suitable charger. I have to admit that when I started using Eneloops I ignored Sanyo's advice and used the ultra -fast charger I had. This may have damaged the performance of the batteries. I have a Fameart slow charger that I will now try, if it's not too late. I have three sets of Eneloops, which I would like to go on using, if I can get a better performance from them. I will check getting a charger from Panasonic. If not, I now know what the options are, thanks to your help.

Kindest regards, Bob
Old hand, slow fingers.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.