K-r - AF severe problem

Pikaholic

Link Posted 28/11/2012 - 17:21
I bought the K-r body from SRS when they were selling the ex demo bodies in October. I was alerted to a focusing problem by a shot taken of the Little Harp, which I will post on the gallery. The only portion that appears in focus is the left hand edge. The centre and foreground are out of focus and the fence going off to the right shows no increase in focus. I then explored the AF Fine Adjustment option and did numerous test shots, using the AP test chart and instructions, to try and correct the back focus. The results were all out of focus whichever +- setting I tried. I then tried my Pentax F 50mm 1.7 lens to compare to the kit lens. I discovered that with 0 adjustment the lens was focusing well over 3 meters on the focus distance scale, whereas the physical distance to the test chart was 2.67 meters. When I changed the adjustment to the limit of +10 the focus was just on the right edge of 3 meters. I then switched to a manual focus of 2.4 meters (8 ft) and got a reasonably sharp image, considering the dim indoor conditions.

I wonder if anyone else has had such a bad experience with the K-r?

I realise I have to return the camera but I don't know if it can be corrected successfully or whether I should ask for a replacement or a cash return. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Sorry this is so long but I thought it needed a full explanation.

Thanks, Bob
Old hand, slow fingers.

johnriley

Link Posted 28/11/2012 - 17:23
I would phone SRS and they will advise how best to return the camera. I'm sure they'll sort it out to your satisfaction.
Best regards, John

Pikaholic

Link Posted 28/11/2012 - 20:21
Thanks John, that will now be my next move.

Kind regards, Bob
Old hand, slow fingers.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.