K-5IIs At Chester Zoo

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 13:46
Some samples of my visit to Chester Zoo with the K-5IIs, first with DA*300mm all others with DA*50-135mm

I found the AF very much better when shooting in the inside exhibits than with the K-5 (Mk1) on my last visit. I couldn’t detect a big difference outdoors, although it did seem to prefer locking on the wire fences more than I remember the K-5 doing. So far very happy with the performance, and don’t regret paying out to upgrade from the K-5.

Simonmac

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 14:36
Hi

Not a fan of zoos, but good photos nonetheless.

Mac
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

FAT8BIKER

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 14:41

This one was taken with K-R and 55/300.
Cheers
Dave

davidstorm

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 15:16
The Rhinoceros one is the only one that I think shows the true potential of the K-5IIs, the level of detail in the shadows is lovely. I don't think the others have enough to see any difference between these shots and what could have been achieved with a normal K-5.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Simonmac

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 15:21
davidstorm wrote:
The Rhinoceros one is the only one that I think shows the true potential of the K-5IIs, the level of detail in the shadows is lovely. I don't think the others have enough to see any difference between these shots and what could have been achieved with a normal K-5.

Regards
David

I wonder if that was the point?

Mac
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

davidstorm

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 15:35
Judging by the title of the thread, I would imagine that the images were posted to show the quality of images the camera can produce, otherwise it may just have been called 'Pictures at Chester Zoo' or something similar.

That's why I have made observations about them in relation to the K-5IIs, I think this was a fairly logical reaction to the thread?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

DrOrloff

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 16:18
I agree, I'd expect this image quality from a regular K5 and those lenses. It's probably difficult to judge at these small sizes though.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 15/11/2012 - 16:19

leytono

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 18:30
Must say that wouldn't persuade me to buy the K-5IIs, but as was mentioned very hard to judge with the small sizes

The K-r shot has been badly over sharpened so hard to judge that camera quality too

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 20:50
It was fairly gloomy in the Rhino House and I was surprised how well the AF locked on (ISO 4000). I think comparing results I got on my previous visit with a K-5 and the same lenses I ended up with more keepers with the K-5IIs. I wouldn’t expect the K-5II to perform any differently – I expect you will only see the benefits of no AA filter on a small number of occasions when the combination of subject and conditions are just right.

The fur detail on the Meerkat shows up well in the full image.

Link to full size images:

Rhino 100% JPG
Rhino RAW DNG

:Tiger 100% JPG
Tiger RAW DNG

Meerkat 100% JPG
Meerkat 100% RAW DNG

There was no post processing except on the Tiger where I had started to tidy up some of the artefacts generated by the wire fence. The Rhino and Meerkat had no fence obstructing the image.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 15/11/2012 - 21:05
The rhino was the standout shot for me. As with Puma's shots yesterday we are seeing exceptional quality at high iso, maybe this is where the KIIs' strength lies.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.