K-5 with kit lens, or K-r + extra (better) lens

ukwizard

Link Posted 06/02/2012 - 19:08
Just about to take the plunge, decided on Pentax after trying all the various cameras and just finding the Pentax a better fit.

However, I'm undecided between the K-5 and K-r. I have an initial budget of around 800, so can get a K-5 with the 18-55 kit lens, or alternatively the K-r with the kit lens, then add a better quality lens.

Really the question is what would you do? Is the K-5 much better than the K-r, if it is Im happy with the kit lens and can wait to get a better lens, but if its just a small step up then the K-r with a better lens might be better now.

Any suggestions?

vrapan

Link Posted 06/02/2012 - 19:11
Lens more important than body.

I would consider a s/h K-5 + a Tamron 17-50, or Pentax 17-70.

If s/h is not really to your liking then wait till you can spend 1k. Then buy a new K-5 + a Tamron 17-50 or Pentax 17-70.

wvbarnes

Link Posted 06/02/2012 - 19:24
I love my KR and it's still too soon to change it BUT the K5 has come down so much in price it must be very very tempting. You can take great photos with either.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 06/02/2012 - 19:32
For me it would be a no-brainer. If you've a chance to buy one of the best DSLRs ever made then I wouldn't hesitate. Stop down the standard lens a bit and I bet no-one will know the difference.

If you're that bothered about the lens then save up for a while, as people used to do, and buy something else!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Opethian

Link Posted 06/02/2012 - 20:50
Hello there! Welcome to the forums!

I will recommend that you get the K5. It is an investment, and I'm unsure where you live, but having weather sealing does boost your confidence of taking shots in unlikely weather, like recently across the UK.

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

ukwizard

Link Posted 06/02/2012 - 21:19
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments!

I think Ill go with the K5, and try to stretch the budget a bit!

Gedski

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 07:18
ukwizard wrote:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments!

I think Ill go with the K5, and try to stretch the budget a bit!

ukwizard. Which ever you choose, the K-r or the K-5, you'll be very happy. I have the K-r. It is far better than the Canon 1100D, I've used both. Also, according to a neighbour, he wishes that he chose the K-r instead of the Nikon 3100, after seeing mine.

If you can make it, get the k-5 as it is weather proof and does all plus more than the K-r. I am hoping that the K-5 price drops later this year so I can upgrade. Thay are both exceptional cameras.

Photoaddict

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 12:07
Have just read a comparison test in DSLR User magazine where the reviewer rated the Canon 1100D and the Nikon 3100 superior to the KR in both image quality and ISO performance, also stating that the KR's exposure was unreliable.
Is this just Canon, Nikon bias, as several comments in the Pentax Forum rate the KR superior to these two cameras? It does seem rather odd that this happens time and time again when reviewers review Pentax cameras

whatsthisbuttondo

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 12:15
Bias so bad have cancelled subscription wording on reviews pathetic

Gwyn

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 12:43
Photoaddict wrote:
Have just read a comparison test in DSLR User magazine where the reviewer rated the Canon 1100D and the Nikon 3100 superior to the KR in both image quality and ISO performance, also stating that the KR's exposure was unreliable.
Is this just Canon, Nikon bias, as several comments in the Pentax Forum rate the KR superior to these two cameras? It does seem rather odd that this happens time and time again when reviewers review Pentax cameras

This is partly (mostly) due to bias (who pays the biggest amount in advertising?), partly because reviewers take photos in jpeg and look at them straight from the camera at factory settings. Pentax jpegs are always more muted than the in your face colours of Canon in particular, and partly because it is what the majority of their readers want to hear.

Personally I prefer Pentax's jpegs, you can always play with the setting to get punchier ones if you want, or play in PP.
Reviewers seldom, if ever shoot RAW, or take the time to really get to know a camera. They all use Nikon or Canon so are used to the look and feel of those.

Back on topic, if you can afford a K-5 go for it. You won't regret it.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 07/02/2012 - 13:06

greynolds999

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 13:04
All cameras have flaws and none of them can take good photographs for you. In truth, a good photographer will get the picture with a Brownie or a mobile phone.

Autofocus, 3D matrix Metering and a billion megapixels won't help.

It is far more important to have a camera which feels right in your hand, which you can set up the way you want and which you never have to look at to know where the buttons are. Then you stop worrying about it and start worrying about composition, lighting and all the other things which are actually part of the photographers craft.
My Photobucket
Last Edited by greynolds999 on 07/02/2012 - 13:04

Gwyn

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 13:06
I absolutely agree Gareth.

ukwizard

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 15:55
Thanks again.

I took another trip into Jessops earlier and its definitely the best 'feel' for me, so ill be ordering one now.

I asked Jessops if they could price match there and then to sell the camera and they said they just couldn't, they lose on every camera sold. I said it was a little silly as they were providing a showroom, advice etc, then losing the order for the sake of 40 to a postal service, but they would not budge so Im now just weighing up Amazon, SRS etc and Ill be putting the order in there.

No wonder the high street is suffering!

Chrism8

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 16:13
SRS for the service, no question !
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

ukwizard

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 16:17
SRS got the order
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.