K-3ii upgrade to K-3iii


Mike-P

Link Posted 26/02/2018 - 20:44
I have always thought flippy screens were a brilliant idea. My little Canon M5 has a tilt screen with touch focus which is superb for macro but the flippy one on the 80D is better still.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

michaelblue

Link Posted 26/02/2018 - 23:17
I'm not interested in touch screens, wifi, bluetooth, phone connection or any other silly gimmicks, just DECENT AUTOFOCUS TRACKING!!
When are they ever going to sort this problem out? ALL the others can do it, when is Pentax/Ricoh going to wake up?
The autofocus tracking on my K3ii (supposedly an improvement) is totally useless!...as it was on the K5, K7, KX K10 and no doubt every other model.

Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

richandfleur

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 03:29
michaelblue wrote:
any other silly gimmicks

Hopefully without appearing rude, what constitutes a gimmick totally depends on how you want to use your Pentax device.

Id love to have better video quality from mine, and Id love a touchscreen. Voice control on my new GoPro is genuinely really useful for example, so Im all for user interface developments, and I can see benefits from a touch screen for menu adjustments/image review at least.

I hear you on the subject tracking and eye AF would be a massive drawcard for me too.

stu62

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 16:59
Why oh why dose every one go on about doing video if you want to do video by a bloody video camera and just concerntrat on a pure stills camera like the old 35mm

Rant over
Last Edited by stu62 on 27/02/2018 - 17:00

darkskies

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 17:00
stu62 wrote:
Why oh why dose every one go on about doing video if you want to do video by a bloody video camera and just concerntrat on a pure stills camera like the old 35mm


This space deliberately left blank.

Chrism8

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 18:19
stu62 wrote:
Why oh why dose every one go on about doing video if you want to do video by a bloody video camera and just concerntrat on a pure stills camera like the old 35mm

Rant over

Plus 1
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Pentax 100 Macro F2.8 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6

Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Algernon

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 18:33
I've no problem with the odd post asking for video even though Pentax don't really do video but it's pointless asking on an almost daily basis especially after solutions have been pointed out such as.... Sigma lenses some of which have stabilization or even a K-5. That's just Trolling!



--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 27/02/2018 - 18:35

richandfleur

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 21:10
stu62 wrote:
Why oh why dose every one go on about doing video

richandfleur wrote:
michaelblue wrote:
any other silly gimmicks

Hopefully without appearing rude, what constitutes a gimmick totally depends on how you want to use your Pentax device.

Id love to have better video quality from mine, and Id love a touchscreen. Voice control on my new GoPro is genuinely really useful for example, so Im all for user interface developments, and I can see benefits from a touch screen for menu adjustments/image review at least.

I hear you on the subject tracking and eye AF would be a massive drawcard for me too.

85 words.
9 about video.
The rest talking about a touchscreen, AF, and the fact that each user has different requirements/uses from their Pentax device.

Algernon wrote:
I've no problem with the odd post asking for video even though Pentax don't really do video but it's pointless asking on an almost daily basis especially after solutions have been pointed out such as.... Sigma lenses some of which have stabilization or even a K-5. That's just Trolling!
--

Pentax have done video since the K-7? in 2009, so nearly 10 years with a video mode on all Pentax DSLRs.
That doesn't sound like a company that 'Doesn't do video'. What we mean is Pentax doesn't do video well.
Every other manufacturer has improved significantly in this area, and Pentax is now glaringly behind here.

Re the Lenses, very few companies (any new now?) offer in lens stabilisation for the Pentax K mount, because it's quite rightly assumed that stabilisation will be handled in body on a Pentax. Whilst this is true for stills, it's unfortunately not the case for video, since 2012 and the introduction of Movie SR.

Offering a long discontinued 2010 K-5 as the solution for video in 2018 is trolling.


Again, in the context of this conversation, I'd like a touchscreen.
I'd also like better video, and I'd like better subject tracking AF and eye AF.
These are the types of developments I'd like to see on a K-3 range update (the subject of this thread).

My shopping list might be different to yours, but it's still a valid Pentax users perspective.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 27/02/2018 - 21:15

jemx99

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 21:49
Pentax needs to bring out fantastic stills cameras but they need to be pretty damn good at video too. Though Pentax does come out with some great unique features, it needs to compete with other manufacturers in all technology or it will die. It's also true that some video features can help with stills photography too, check out what some cameras with 4k ability can do, also check out how a touch screen can help pin point a focus point.

derek897

Link Posted 27/02/2018 - 22:21
richandfleur wrote:


My shopping list might be different to yours, but it's still a valid Pentax users perspective.

I wouldn't and couldn't argue with that
I know what i like, If not always why.

microlight2010

Link Posted 03/03/2018 - 06:32
I agree that gimmicks are only gimmicks if you don't use them. I find GPS tagging invaluable especially for long trips where you can easily get lost with which-photo-was-taken-where syndrome. The astrotracer was invaluable a couple of weeks ago for a spectacular Milky Way picture on the Coromandel.

The video is what it is, and we K-3ers have to work with it; at least the video controls on the K-3/K-3II are comprehensive. Post-processing and shake reduction will get the best out of what it is capable of putting out.

I'm not bothering to worry about what any K-3II replacement will or will not have, I'm just enjoying using it as the damn fine picture-taking machine that it already is.
K-3II - HD DA20-40 Limited, HD DA55-300PLM, SMC DA10-17 Fishy, AF201FG Flashy
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.