Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-3ii half press feedback

paulcliff
Posted 10/03/2016 - 14:04 Link
Hi All,

Recently purchased a K-3ii but I've noticed that the shutter button seems to have no tactile feedback when being pushed half way, I'm pretty sure my K-X did and the battery grip I'm using does so I've been used to more of a 2-step feel with it, It just seems completely soft all the way until you actually press the button to release the shutter.

Just wondering if this is a normal feature of the K-3ii or is there something wrong?

It doesn't actually seem to causing me any problems as AF is working fine.

If anyone has a K-3/ii could they try it and let me know?

Thanks.

Paul.
stu62
Posted 10/03/2016 - 17:35 Link
i havent noticed any thing like that on mine but yes you are right but i dont find it a problem
Mag07
Posted 10/03/2016 - 19:53 Link
I use the back button for AF but just checked on Auto and it doesn't seem to have an tactile feedback either. On a recent trip I was taking photos of people with their cameras of various sort, and distinctly remember none of the Nikon had any either. Seems that's the standard now? With the beep turned off, it was quite awkward I must say when trying to frame the shots in bright sunlight using the lcds due to awkward angles lol.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
vic cross
Posted 11/03/2016 - 09:04 Link
K3--K3ii both have the usual half way feel on mine.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
wvbarnes
Posted 11/03/2016 - 10:06 Link
My K3 is fine no noticable difference to K5 I used to have. I've not used back button much so not qualified to comment.
paulcliff
Posted 11/03/2016 - 10:32 Link
Thanks guys, so those saying that it has a tactile half-way feel, do you find you press the shutter release button and it 'clicks' and then pushing it a bit harder it 'clicks' again and takes the photo? - This is the behaviour I'm experiencing with my grip, and my old K-x. I push the button, it has a small amount of travel, clicks, autofocuses, small amount of travel again, then clicks to fire.

Or is the only tactile 'click' you feel when you actually press the shutter release button fully? - This is what I'm experiencing with the K-3ii body, I push the shutter button, it seems to have some travel, autofocuses, then a single click which takes the shot. As a result it feels a bit 'spongy', but if that's correct then I can get used to it.

note. 'click' is probably a strong word to describe the action.
vic cross
Posted 11/03/2016 - 10:44 Link
Yes "Click" is to strong a word. All it does is have what you might call a halfway soft stopping point (you have to feel it gently) then goes on to the final stop position to activate the shutter. Does that lot make sense??
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
paulcliff
Posted 11/03/2016 - 10:50 Link
Yes that's what I was trying to describe, the body doesn't seem to do this, I don't feel any resistance at all, its completely soft until the usual resistance I would expect to release the shutter. Which is different to the battery grip, which does have to 2 definite resistance points.

I wonder if any shops down my way might have a K-3 I can play with in store and double check. As I say, it's a not a massive deal, just different, but if it is wrong I'd rather get it sorted whilst in warranty.
Puggy
Posted 11/03/2016 - 12:53 Link
Sorry to hijack the post but it's a related point

I use back button af but have found on k3ii I have to half press the shutter button to activate the back button, can't find any way to change this. Anyone have any ideas? Sure K5 didn't need to do this

Kind regards Pete A
My Photos link
Me link
wvbarnes
Posted 11/03/2016 - 13:44 Link
Hi Pete, Not the case on my K3 either, just tried it and works fine from power on. MK II glitch perhaps? I note there have been no firmware updates of late presumably the next will be for the new full frame lenses.

Puggy wrote:

I use back button af but have found on k3ii I have to half press the shutter button to activate the back button, can't find any way to change this. Anyone have any ideas? Sure K5 didn't need to do this

Kind regards Pete A

Trubshore
Posted 11/03/2016 - 14:33 Link
Puggy wrote:

Kind regards Pete A

I use back focus button all the time.
In the camera menue 4 ,under button customization, AF2 allows the back focus only. top AF button inoperative other than for taking the picture
Regards.Peter
Chrism8
Posted 11/03/2016 - 14:37 Link
I think I'm right in saying, on the K5iis, its selectable in the menu somewhere, guess it may be similar on the K3ii
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
stu62
Posted 11/03/2016 - 22:05 Link
paulcliff wrote:
Yes that's what I was trying to describe, the body doesn't seem to do this, I don't feel any resistance at all, its completely soft until the usual resistance I would expect to release the shutter. Which is different to the battery grip, which does have to 2 definite resistance points.

I wonder if any shops down my way might have a K-3 I can play with in store and double check. As I say, it's a not a massive deal, just different, but if it is wrong I'd rather get it sorted whilst in warranty.

where in kent are you as i am down in sittingbourne in a couple of weeks you could try mine see if there is any differance
paulcliff
Posted 11/03/2016 - 22:46 Link
stu62 wrote:
paulcliff wrote:

where in kent are you as i am down in sittingbourne in a couple of weeks you could try mine see if there is any differance

Dover, work in Canterbury, there is actually a camera shop round the corner from the office, I'll pop in next week.
paulcliff
Posted 17/03/2016 - 08:25 Link
Just to update this, I popped into the camera shop yesterday, they had a demo model K-3 which they let me have a play with, shutter button feels exactly the same so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Cheers everyone

Paul.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.