Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-3 review at Pocket Link

BarryE
Posted 28/01/2014 - 16:16 Link
If you've not seen this review ...

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/126781-pentax-k-3-review.

It's not particularly scientific and as they appear to only have used the supplied lens, they seem to forget that some points they raise are down to the lens.

Anyway, they haven't banged on about the ergonomics being odd ie different from Canon/Nikon; praised the construction, colour fidelity and focusing. They're a bit negative on the expected noise at high ISO and the tendency to underexpose, the later being a bit of a gripe for me.

Good review score, perhaps helping Pentax/Ricoh to gain ground.
JAK
Posted 28/01/2014 - 16:28 Link
Bad link, try this:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/126781-pentax-k-3-review
(Doesn't need the full stop!)

Grain at middling sensitivities:
Really an 'against'?

Noise on video soundtrack caused by lens mechanics:
So how do you get the K-3 to autofocus while videoing. I've not managed to do that or have I missed a hidden menu option?

Smaller lens arsenal than competition.
Given Pentax's legacy glass the reverse is surely true. Who else has the Limited equivalents?

Mind 4.5 stars out of 5 is more than respectable, but was the camera fully tested? I suspect not.
John K
Edited by JAK: 28/01/2014 - 16:43
McBrian
Posted 28/01/2014 - 17:52 Link
Quote:
So how do you get the K-3 to autofocus while videoing. I've not managed to do that or have I missed a hidden menu option?

Press the AF button while recording
It's not continuous AF but with a little practice it's better than nothing
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
hogboy
Posted 28/01/2014 - 18:28 Link
Here is a terrible 'review'
The user has not actually used a K-3, exceptionally annoying !!!!

link
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20
richandfleur
Posted 28/01/2014 - 18:31 Link
Sounds like the video has been forgotten again. With all the talk of the new auto focus system I thought they would have tried to implement the auto follow focus during video recording. Useful for shots like a bride walking down the aisle for instance.
JAK
Posted 28/01/2014 - 23:59 Link
McBrian wrote:
Quote:

Press the AF button while recording
It's not continuous AF but with a little practice it's better than nothing

Thanks, yes, so it does. Use a quiet focussing lens and there's no noise at all. Nothing to do with the camera body.
John K
JAK
Posted 29/01/2014 - 00:16 Link
hogboy wrote:

link

There's a very pleasant comment from a well equipped Nikon user who has added a K-3 to his kit and suggests to viewers to disregard the video as the author is sadly mistaken. Not surprising as the video author himself makes the comment he hasn't even tried a K-3. How can someone make such comments without even trying the camera; what a waste of space.
John K
Edited by JAK: 29/01/2014 - 00:22
richandfleur
Posted 29/01/2014 - 00:39 Link
hogboy wrote:

link

That's extremely poor given he hasn't used the camera! But then I guess that is the internet, anyone can say anything really. Potentially these points are valid on some level, but to deliver them like that means I can't finish the video anyway!

If Pentax have developed a great tracking auto focus system, then why isn't it available in video mode? I haven't read enough, but how does the K-3 auto focus ability stack up against the competition? I have seen some demos of Canon vs Nikon on youtube and that concept of speed vs accuracy approach was very clear.

The flu card is an odd choice in my opinion. The price seems a lot, and it's a new company, and it takes one of the two SD slots, thereby negating that benefit if you want wifi tethering etc also. Personally if wifi was going to be a feature it should be bundled into the unit, especially if it's a flagship model. Are Flucards even out/tested yet? Like others have said though, with USB 3 on board I wouldn't be using wifi for file transfer, but I expect tethering to be the main use. Is there a Pentax app for tethering/remote focus/shutter press etc?

So good points and worthy of discussion, but these two tiny points are so minute it's just not funny, considering ALL the features present on a K-3!
And indeed all the extra bonus features on many Pentax models vs their direct cost competition I might add!
Fail? I don't think so.
Edited by richandfleur: 29/01/2014 - 00:42
Smeggypants
Posted 29/01/2014 - 05:10 Link
richandfleur wrote:
hogboy wrote:

link

That's extremely poor given he hasn't used the camera! But then I guess that is the internet, anyone can say anything really. Potentially these points are valid on some level, but to deliver them like that means I can't finish the video anyway!

If Pentax have developed a great tracking auto focus system, then why isn't it available in video mode? I haven't read enough, but how does the K-3 auto focus ability stack up against the competition? I have seen some demos of Canon vs Nikon on youtube and that concept of speed vs accuracy approach was very clear.

The flu card is an odd choice in my opinion. The price seems a lot, and it's a new company, and it takes one of the two SD slots, thereby negating that benefit if you want wifi tethering etc also. Personally if wifi was going to be a feature it should be bundled into the unit, especially if it's a flagship model. Are Flucards even out/tested yet? Like others have said though, with USB 3 on board I wouldn't be using wifi for file transfer, but I expect tethering to be the main use. Is there a Pentax app for tethering/remote focus/shutter press etc?

So good points and worthy of discussion, but these two tiny points are so minute it's just not funny, considering ALL the features present on a K-3!
And indeed all the extra bonus features on many Pentax models vs their direct cost competition I might add!
Fail? I don't think so.

Maybe it's the noise of the motor?

However some people add their own soundtrack in post pro so peeps should have the choice. I guess the best way is to employ the traditional techniques of focus pulling
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
jules
Posted 29/01/2014 - 05:18 Link
I read your comment on his video, on his you tube channel a full one minute after you made it Smeggy! Hilarious, you upset the missus though, it never good to chuckle in the bedroom apparantly!
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Smeggypants
Posted 29/01/2014 - 05:34 Link
jules wrote:
I read your comment on his video, on his you tube channel a full one minute after you made it Smeggy! Hilarious, you upset the missus though, it never good to chuckle in the bedroom apparantly!

Met plenty of people like that when I used to gig on American Military bases. Full of hot air.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
cabstar
Posted 29/01/2014 - 10:11 Link
Never trust anyone who wears a baseball cap with a large yellow M on the front....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.