Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-3 and a 128gig Micro SD card

Posted 15/08/2016 - 08:37 Link
Hi,
I cannot find the answer I am looking for on current forum posts so forgive me if it is in there somewhere but does anybody know what the maximum capacity card a K-3 will work with? I am off to Aus in January and have purchased 2 x Girixx, 128 gig Micro SD cards so I can view pics on my Samsung tablet while I am there and transfer the same to my collection of pen drives on the go. I don't want to lug around a heavy laptop. I have done a couple of practice runs with the 2 cards but some photos it takes fine and others it just refuses to write. "Cannot display image" is the usual message on both the camera and laptop for these files.

Anstonian
Mag07
Posted 15/08/2016 - 10:40 Link
Don't think it's a card capacity problem; rather card itself. I have a 128 gig SanDisk Ultra and it works without issues on K3II, KS1 and 2. Have you tried using a different micro to sd card adapter maybe? Do the cards sit in comfortably? Never heard of the brand before; possibly there are some quality issues with the product?
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
JAK
Posted 15/08/2016 - 16:38 Link
I've tried a Google search for Girixx SD cards and the only thing that shows up is your own query! That's a pretty unusual occurrence. I was trying to see if others have had the same issue with that brand elsewhere but with regret I drew a blank.
I think I'd try a reliable branded one (such as Sandisk) before the trip to avoid disappointment.
John K
truckerathome
Posted 15/08/2016 - 17:38 Link
JAK wrote:
I've tried a Google search for Girixx SD cards and the only thing that shows up is your own query! That's a pretty unusual occurrence. I was trying to see if others have had the same issue with that brand elsewhere but with regret I drew a blank.
I think I'd try a reliable branded one (such as Sandisk) before the trip to avoid disappointment.

Think you will find the correct spelling is Grixx. They still make flash drives and used to make cheap cards as well and were sold through 7shopday.com and Amazon. Think the cards have been discontinued now but they still advertise the the flash drives and also a card holder I do believe. Not used one myself but they were fairly cheap although not well know, so I don't know how reliable they are or were.
malcombe
Posted 15/08/2016 - 18:27 Link
Something you might care to try is to format the cards in the K-3.
It might be a compatibility issue.
Just a thought.
Malcombe
Posted 17/08/2016 - 09:00 Link
Thanks to all for your input. These cards are indeed from 7dayshop and strangely enough are not for sale on their site currently. The make is GRIXX. I am in email contact with 7dayshop regarding the problem and they are twirling all over the place at the moment. "Have you tried this, have you tried that. etc, etc". I have indeed formatted the cards on the camera. The latest suggestion from 7 is to format the cards on a computer. Not sure what that will do but if it solves the problem I will be happy. It is an intermittent problem, the worst kind, so doubt will always be there and the last thing I want is a card failure whilst on a shoot somewhere. I do have plenty of smaller capacity cards as backup but it is the 128 gig capacity on these that was the key reason for purchasing.
Once again thanks to all.
Anstonian
JAK
Posted 17/08/2016 - 12:54 Link
They've recently been doing Sandisk micro SDXC Ultra 128Gb's for £25. I bought one but haven't tried it yet. Oddly, no sooner had the card arrived they wanted me to review it. Perhaps I had better try it in case it is like those Grixx ones.
I get somewhat annoyed being asked to review something the moment you receive it. I reply to the effect 'ask me in a couple of months' - they never do.
John K
Posted 17/08/2016 - 16:16 Link
JAK wrote:
They've recently been doing Sandisk micro SDXC Ultra 128Gb's for £25. I bought one but haven't tried it yet. Oddly, no sooner had the card arrived they wanted me to review it. Perhaps I had better try it in case it is like those Grixx ones.
I get somewhat annoyed being asked to review something the moment you receive it. I reply to the effect 'ask me in a couple of months' - they never do.

Let me know how you go on please. 7Dayshop have asked me to return the cards for them to repair. Not sure how you repair an SD card though. Either way, confidence is paramount with this piece of kit and if there is no confidence I would not use it.
JAK
Posted 17/08/2016 - 22:00 Link
If you're not happy with something purchased by mail order you have the right to return it. I'd do that and ask them to swap for another brand. I think Sandisk should be OK. Can't see SD cards being repairable.

What speed are the Grixx cards? My Sandisk is class 10 80MB/s 533X so much the same as its larger cousins. (I'm wondering if the K-3 can't write to your cards fast enough.)

I'll try the Sandisk tomorrow but can't believe they'll be a problem with it (but if there is I guess it would be useful to know!)

Can you read normal SD cards in your tablet? If so could be another option.
John K
Edited by JAK: 17/08/2016 - 22:03
Posted 18/08/2016 - 08:03 Link
The 2 Grixx will be sent back to 7DS later today and an email also sent to ask them to swap for another brand. More expensive, of course. The cheapest they do currently is around £35-36.
I don't think there is a speed write problem. I have been using 2 x 64gig, full size, 7DayShop cards, class 10 U-1 45mb for nearly a year now without problem and when these are put back into the K-3 all is well. The 2-128 SD cards are certainly no slower than this so should be fine, I would think.
The tablet will only take micro SD cards I'm afraid, which is why I have gone the route I have.
JAK
Posted 18/08/2016 - 10:23 Link
Would an adaptor like this work with the tablet?
http://www.cablematic.co.uk/ref/SL39?gclid=CK37hdnRys4CFekW0wodsHMIBw
Comment Image
John K
Edited by JAK: 18/08/2016 - 10:23
JohnX
Posted 18/08/2016 - 12:13 Link
Or, an OTG card reader.
JAK
Posted 18/08/2016 - 12:15 Link
Just to say that with my 128Gb micro Sandisk in the K-3 taking raw files everything seems normal (except the number of shots to go which is well over 2000) so no complaints.
Look out for that offer in case it comes round again as £25 was a really good price for a decent 128Gb card.
John K
Edited by JAK: 18/08/2016 - 12:15
JAK
Posted 18/08/2016 - 17:58 Link
FWIW, this is one of the photos I took this morning to test the card. Glad I had the camera out!
Comment Image
John K
Edited by JAK: 18/08/2016 - 18:00
stu62
Posted 18/08/2016 - 20:28 Link
if girixx as discontinued it i think that says it all

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.