K-1 owners: Have you gotten rid of your APS-C equipment?

richandfleur

Link Posted 20/04/2017 - 12:13
Papa_Lazarou wrote:

Time to sell the K-3s I think.

Shutter count/age?

Papa_Lazarou

Link Posted 20/04/2017 - 12:35
My original K-3 is a launch model, new from SRS - late October 2013. Think I was one of the first K-3 users here. It's in very good condition, box, papers, manual, unused strap etc.
I'll need to check shutter count - but think about 11k.

Second K-3 is one I bought used - about 2800 actuations, 2014 vintage. Complete with box, papers, etc (originally a 18-135 kit). Couple of small marks on the bottom of the body - but what i'd describe as normal useage - still good condition.
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

miles500

Link Posted 21/04/2017 - 12:29
When I bought a K1, I retained my K3 thinking I might continue to use it, but in the event I found that I prefered to use the K1 and the K3 was gathering dust and losing value. In many ways the two cameras were too similar and I felt that I might use a second camera more if it was clearly different and suited to different occasions. I PXd the K3 and 16-85 for a smaller and lighter camera from a different maker, so I am in effect running two systems and intend to use the second system for street and travel photography but will continue to use the Pentax for the rest.
Miles

HarisF1

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 18:24
K-3 sold today on eBay. Last used it this Sunday with the DA15 and 10-17 lenses. It was surprising how quiet the shutter is compared to the K-1.

A lot of mixed feelings about it as it was my first ever camera (I used my dads P&S many years ago, and smartphones after that) but it just wasn't getting the use it deserved.

Anyone want to hear the story of why I picked Pentax (and the K-3)?

Unruely

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 20:05
I've only had the K-1 for less than a week, but I don't see myself selling off my crop sensor bodies. I think they each have their strengths and will use them all often.

K10D

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 20:35
645Z owners: Have you gotten rid of your 35mm/FF equipment?

I'm surprised this has reached two pages.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Bikes link

richandfleur

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 21:03
HarisF1 wrote:

Anyone want to hear the story of why I picked Pentax (and the K-3)?

Of course we do

HarisF1

Link Posted 25/04/2017 - 21:54
The best bit about my Pentax story was that it started with complete chance.

For many years I had desired a decent camera and had always heard the term 'SLR' used to refer to the best cameras. I did a bit of research on them while I was at uni (~ 2010) but the prices were wayyyy out of my reach.

I then started working soon after my degree and found a bit of money coming in. Fast forward to July 2015!

Amazon had launched their 'Prime Day' sales and I had an eye on a number of deals. I wasn't looking at cameras all that much because my smartphone did a decent job of taking pics. I did notice a couple of cameras on with a decent discount being advertised on a tech site so I kept an eye for them.

The cameras I was looking at were from the Sony A6000 and RX series. They seemed good from the reviews I saw but I wasn't too hooked... and then I saw the Pentax K-3, due to go on sale for 469 at 7pm...

I had bought a pair of Pentax binoculars for 29 in an amazing Amazon deal a couple of months before this. They were awesome so I had a good opinion of the brand. They clearly knew how to make optics so the K-3 couldn't be that bad, right?

I checked reviews of the K-3 and saw that it was awarded 'Best Expert DSLR' by TIPA in 2014 (who said this was a mickey mouse award?!) and also had a DPReview 'Gold award'. Top class reviews! I was hooked.

And it still got better... in the Summer of 2015, Ricoh Pentax had a promotion that entitled me to a cashback of 75 if I bought the K-3 from an authorized source. Amazon had their own version of this cashback deal so I just had to go for it.

7pm arrived... and then I hesitated. Within a minute, all the K-3 bodies had been reserved. I clicked 'add to waiting list' in an attempt to maybe have a shot at the camera, but things looked bleak... And then I got my chance!

I instantly snapped up the camera at 469 and decided that I'd give it a shot. Here was a great camera at a really good price. Factor in the cashback and I got my camera body at 394! Not even the bargain basement Nikons and Canons could compete. At the end of the day, if I didn't like it, I could just sell it at a similar price so I couldn't lose.

But I really really liked it. Over the next few months I realised that I had bought one of the greatest cameras on the market. It was a camera with weather resistance, a great sensor, great features and excellent backwards compatibility. It also had the most innovative piece of tech to allow me into the world of astrophotography, the O-GPS1 astrotracer. No other brand could have ever done this. No other model had these features in abundance.

And so, my Pentax story had started It's a bit sad that a couple of years on, one of the chapters has closed but I'll always appreciate how amazing the K-3 had been for me.
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 25/04/2017 - 21:56

LawrenceKH

Link Posted 30/04/2017 - 02:02
wvbarnes wrote:
I guess as a retired person on limited income i've bucked the trend again.

I've acquired on of the last of the 699 K3 II's from SRS this week to go with my 55 - 300 PLM lens (249) which has proved excellent in use and much better for travel than my 300 star F4. In my bag i now have this and a 12 - 24 F4 DA bought on here (as new) for half the current retail and a tiny 40mm XS F2.8 pancake my son kindly passed on.

All this so much more affordable than the K1 (1999 now!)and its associated lenses which are clearly too big, heavy and too pricey for my needs. I get it if you are well to do or make money from photography.

Out today with dogs, smaller camera bag also on order...

W. V. Barnes,

Hmm. I have often wondered about the expression "retired person on a limited income." I think of myself in those terms. I will be 83 this coming October and my income is "limited" in the sense that it isn't going to go up, but my mortgage payment is low. My Jeep and everything else is paid for. I don't have any expensive hobbies other than photography, computers, and dogs. Oh yes, children who while their incomes are not "limited" seem always to be in need.

In my case I do a lot of hiking & that is probably the reason I am still in good shape at my age. And while I could afford and would have the strength to carry a K-1 on a hike, that has never seemed very practical to me and I haven't seriously considered it. But who knows? If the price dropped and I was looking for something a little different to spice up the terrain I usually hike in, I might get a K-1 at some future time.

One needs to consider motives -- at least I try to consider mine. I have a bit of a photographer's eye and a bit of an artistic bent so I have taken and can appreciate an excellent or artistic shot. Will a K-1 do something for me along those lines that my K3, K3ii or K70 will not? I think the answer must be no. I'm a retired Engineer and see the DSLR as a mature system, much as the laptop or automobile. We can expect repackaging, moving things about, making things larger or smaller, but we probably won't see quantum leaps. Oh they could happen. To have a battery operated car with a range of 5,000 miles would be a quantum leap in my opinion, but I can't think of anything equivalent in the DSLR. The MILC hoped it was going to be a quantum leap but thus far it doesn't do anything significantly better than the DSLR.

& so back to the OP's question, if one has a camera that one is extremely fond of and discovers that one is taking it out on outing after outing, that doesn't mean that one's other cameras sitting back home in the closet are going bad. A battery could go bad after a very long period of time, and I do take batteries out of cameras I suspect I won't use in the near future. I suppose if you need the money you might need to sell gear, but as in my case if you don't and you have the room in your closet, why not keep your old K3 or K5iis there nice and cozy?

I mentioned in another thread that when I heard the rumor that Ricoh might discontinue the DSLR, I dug out one of my old combinations, the Olympus E5 and Zuiko 12-60 lens and took them on a couple of hikes. I was very favorably impressed with the results, but since the DSLR at some point in time (IMO prior to the production of the E5 and 12-60) became mature, there was no reason for me to suspect that the photos on these outings would be bad. And indeed I was so impressed I wished I could go right on using this combination, but I thought that Ricoh in saying they were going to concentrate on "high value" cameras might be planning to discontinue the K-70 & so bought one right away & have been using it instead of the Olympus E5.

Here is the folder I've mentioned. The first two hikes are with the discontinued but still serviceable Olympus E5 and equally discontinued but serviceable 12-60 mm lens. https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Apr-2017/

You can see, unless my old eyes are deceiving themselves that this "obsolete" combination is still capable of producing photos worth keeping. This will be true of all the K5's, K5iis, K3s and K3iis being sold and replaced by KPs & K1s. If you get a KP or K1 you "might" get something you need, but most of us would have to admit that we won't. The photos we take with our old E5s or K5s will be just as satisfying as the ones we might take with a K1, but maybe we aren't looking for superior performance. Maybe we are looking for the equivalent of that "new car smell." I know I'm guilty of that. I love the feel and build of the K-70 I got the other day. I have been playing with higher ISO settings that I would not normally use on a hike as you could see in the outings after the E5 outings, but I'm probably going to go back to shooting at ISO 400 and at the most extreme on a dark morning under the trees, ISO 800. Maaaabeee I'll use ISO 1600 on occasion. Thus, the "improvement" I was experimenting with, extremely high ISO for hiking on dark mornings, hasn't really panned out for me. Does that mean I'll get rid of my K-70???? Well, no. It still smells like a new car.

Glad to see you running your Vizslas off leash. You can see Ben, a male Rhodesian Ridgeback in my shots -- a former show dog who is 120 pounds. The medium sized dog is a one-year-old Irish Terrier named Jessica. The smallest, a Schnoodle named Duffy, was acquired as a lapdog by my wife whom I lost a couple of years ago. He weighs just 23.5 pounds but enjoys a hike as much as a real dog.

Lawrence
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.