Just wondering how you guys do it

NaimKhan

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 21:42
Never used Photomatix but I have recently used LR6 - did you know you can do it there, using RAW files? The output image is also in RAW.
PPG

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 24/10/2016 - 13:07
Lightroom 6 brought out 'Photo Merge' which means you can select multiple RAW files and then with them highlighted, right click and choose 'Photo Merge > HDR' or press CTRL H as a shortcut. This will make a HDR raw file
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 28-105mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 105mm - Pentax FA 35mm f2 - Tokina 20-35mm, Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr

My 500px

redbusa99

Link Posted 25/10/2016 - 09:07
Photomatix is the starting point, giving you lots of presets to start from. when you are happy with that then you go back to Elements ,in your case, to adjust the subtlety a lot quicker than luminosity blending.
these are 5 shot images

K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 04/11/2016 - 20:28
I'm with Chrism8, alfpics and Carol8345, if you learn how to use Photomatix it can be very subtle / natural. I just use the 'Fusion' options instead of the 'Tone Mapping' and tweak the sliders to suit. Then, once the basics are complete in Photomatix, I finish the processing in Photoshop, quite often I will blend the final Photomatix image with a single exposure image of the same subject in Photoshop. I find this gives a more natural result whilst still retaining the benefits of multiple exposures for the brightest and darkest areas of the image. Sometimes the camera simply will not capture the full dynamic range in one shot and multiple bracketed exposures are the only viable option.

That said, I prefer single exposures wherever possible. Even more useful than any processing options for me are my ND Grad filters, they really do make a huge difference for landscape images.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

tyronet2000

Link Posted 07/11/2016 - 12:21
I use photomatix and have turned out some garish images but if used sparingly it can help a lot. Just remember it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time
Regards
Stan

PPG

richandfleur

Link Posted 07/11/2016 - 14:59
I don't know enough about this but Luminosity Masks in photoshop is an HDR alternative that feels far more natural.

It's basically about selecting different parts of an image to mask out based on brightness, and merging your three different exposures that way.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 07/11/2016 - 15:00
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.