Just watching the NEW's - I hope that all members are OK

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 14:31
I just wanted to raise my concern about what is on the news at the moment and hope that all members are at least save.
I know of a couple of friends that are stuck at the moment that usually 'lurking' here as one is a Samsung GX-20 user and one just got himself a K-5 and this trip was supposed to try out his new camera.
I guess he will get different pictures from them he wanted to get.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 14:41
It seems to be getting worse as the minutes go on, looked last night like it might be blowing over as well.

Father Ted

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 14:54
Are you referring to Australia, or did I miss something?

We have friends over in Queensland who were flooded a couple of weeks back. They are actually staying in Mexico at the moment and neighbours moved their stuff.
Now for the same areas to be hit with this cyclone...what next?
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 14:58
Ah I thought we meant Egypt..

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 15:05
Australia seems to have it bad at the moment as well. One of my Brother in Laws lives there now and have not heard from him today (he usually calls once a day, but its still early for him. He lives in Brisbane).
But Australia seems to have taken a backstep in the news at the moment. All they show is nutters stoning each other.
Spotted one photographer climbing some kind of yellow cement holder on a building side.
Some photographers are right nutters by being right at the front where all the stones are landing.
I know we get news pictures in the papers tomorrow but that is madness.
Would like to see some live footage from Australia too to see how bad it is over there. I know its bad but no one is talking about that at the moment.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 15:06
chrism_scotland wrote:

Really talking about both, but Egypt seems to be the only one on the news. Australia you have to go on the net for.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 15:24
I had a look to see where this cyclone was I have family in Queensland but it seems they are well south of where the storm is, but right enough its all Egypt right now.

Father Ted

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 16:55
I'm still in work, so haven't heard any news since 8am.
Still, only 5 mins to go before they release me
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Clarky

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 21:31
Well it looks like it wasn't as bad as predicted, The cyclone came ashore just sth of Cairns, Mission bay and Tully took the brunt of it, These are small towns and most of the houses there have been badly damaged, No reports of deaths or injuries,

95% of the aussie banana crop is gone so we can expect to be paying triple the cost for them, But if that is as bad as we can expect then we can count ourselves lucky.

We had storm surge in Townsville and wave heights were measured at 18mtrs high, you could hear all the surfies up and down the coast with thier catch cry "surfs up"
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Don

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 23:08
SmutjeUK wrote:
chrism_scotland wrote:

Really talking about both, but Egypt seems to be the only one on the news. Australia you have to go on the net for.

wasn't some time around 2005 that Bin Laden and Zawahiri were proclaiming that waging war against the USA was the only way to topple totalitarian regimes like Mubaraks?
"We have to attack the far enemy to defeat the near enemy?" or something along those lines.....
Who is winning this war?

BTW, Bin Laden considered Mubarak to be the main thing preventing Muslims from uniting to attack Israel... the next Caliphate so to speak...

I wonder how the King is feeling in Jordan, right now, I imagine he's a little sweaty under the collar...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 02/02/2011 - 23:20

Don

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 23:22
Clarky wrote:
Well it looks like it wasn't as bad as predicted, The cyclone came ashore just sth of Cairns, Mission bay and Tully took the brunt of it, These are small towns and most of the houses there have been badly damaged, No reports of deaths or injuries,

95% of the aussie banana crop is gone so we can expect to be paying triple the cost for them, But if that is as bad as we can expect then we can count ourselves lucky.

We had storm surge in Townsville and wave heights were measured at 18mtrs high, you could hear all the surfies up and down the coast with thier catch cry "surfs up"

Let's hope for the best... stay safe!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Clarky

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 00:16
cardiff_gareth wrote:
A close friend of mine that used to be my neighbour before to oz now lives in Cairns. Not heard from him today or yesterday so I hope Cairns got off lightly

He was probably evacuated to one of the evac centres, power was cut off to the city last night before the storm hit and I would doubt it has been switched back on as yet. The storm is still going at the moment but has been downgraded to a cat.3

From what I am hearing Cairns got off relatively lightly.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Last Edited by Clarky on 03/02/2011 - 00:16

i-Berg

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 05:04
A couple of the Melbourne-based papers (with equivalents in the other Australian states, out of their respective media stables...

link

link
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

Oggy

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 07:42
Good luck Gents.

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 03/02/2011 - 09:19
Heard from both of my friends now.
The one in Australia was away from the danger area anyway, they went on a 10 day tour of Sydney and the Blue Mountains.
The one who was going on a Nile cruise has been moved to a hotel on the outskirts of Cairo but is still waiting for the tour operator to fly them back (At least his K-5 is OK ).
Glad to hear that other members are safe as well and that it was not as bad as expected down under.
Lets hope that the saying 'All things come in three' is not coming through for you!
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.