July with the A*135/1.8

HarisF1

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 00:11
During lockdown I've realised that I don't take enough pictures. So here's my attempt at getting out there a little bit more. I took my first shots a couple of days ago and I'll try to keep this thread updated.

I've picked this lens because it's longer than the typical primes as well as having the usual fast Pentax lens quirks to deal with. I've also target my 'framing' as an area of development so I'm looking to see if having a restricted FoV will help with that.

A couple of images to get us started then:

f/1,8

f/1.8

Comments and criticism very welcome.

Benz3ne

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 06:45
Where’s the “like” button when you need it? Nice work!

Lubbyman

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 09:17
An interesting pair of photos. Both of them flowers at the end of long stems but entirely different in concept and execution. Keep taking 'em!

The 2nd shot looks like a sempervivum (houseleek). If you've got more sempervivums than just that pot (and who can stop at just one pot??) you've got ample subject matter for lots of photos. Shallow depth of field, macro, abstract shapes, colours, flowers from all angles (alive and dead), how they change through the year, even the miniature wildlife that hangs around them - there's plenty of opportunity and subject matter for taking more (and more and more...) pictures .

Steve

danofmk

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 09:41
I'd be keen to see the second one but with a deeper depth of focus

Would be interested to see how they'd compare

HarisF1

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 11:36
Thanks for your comments guys.

Yes these are 'houseleeks' and there are a few others with them, waiting to be planted in a possible crevice garden set up. It'll hopefully be done in the coming weeks!

I'll consider playing with DoF too in future shots, it's an interesting balance between separation and detail.

HarisF1

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 15:06
Another couple from yesterday.

By the way, these pots had been blown over by the wind (I'm not that horrible!)
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 18/07/2020 - 15:08

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 18/07/2020 - 17:14
The photographs do show the character of the lens with the smooth out of focus areas. The first one is a great example of three dimensionality that it is capable of.

The lens is one I'd be looking to buy if my numbers 'come up' this weekend but, your copy excepted, I've never seen one for sale. I guess not too many were sold back in the day.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 01:16
Nice images from a nice lens. I really like the first one. The f1.8 is a really rare beast but you can sometimes find the A series 2.8 135mm. That takes equally impressive pictures.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

jvs

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 08:02
I like the first one very much. DoF is very effective and the focus of the image is all on the daisies, while the flower heads stand out clearly and effectively against the darker background shade.
I find the background in 2 too strong and fussy - my eye is drawn away from the focus point by its domineering presence. That’s less the case in 3 which I find a more attractive composition.
The colour rendition in all of them is lovely!
John

Benz3ne

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 09:03
The Fuchsia is a beauty. Loads of colour pop!

HarisF1

Link Posted 19/07/2020 - 14:32
Here's a JPEG straight from the camera at f/2.8 to demonstrate the colours this lens produces. It does a superb job of enhancing the pink/magenta tones. The sharpness isn't quite there due to poor handholding causing a bit of blur.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 20/07/2020 - 09:51
Really like that 2nd image
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Sry

Link Posted 20/07/2020 - 21:43
Lovely colours indeed. 3 is the more interesting one to me - one can start imagining things...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.