Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Johnson's Photopia and K1 upgrade

Posted 29/10/2018 - 20:14 Link
Evening all.
I was intending to upgrade my K1 to a K1 II because my software didn't support the K1 II and I needed it for a few assignments before September. I then heard that the UK agent Johnson's Photopia went into administration and I wasn't going to send my K1 to them in case I didn't get it back so I've missed out on the time-limited offer.
I've read elsewhere that Pentax are still doing the upgrade and are honoring their upgrade pricing. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, who has taken over from Johnson's in the UK?
Kim C
Posted 29/10/2018 - 20:21 - Helpful Comment Link
doodlebug wrote:
Evening all.
I was intending to upgrade my K1 to a K1 II because my software didn't support the K1 II and I needed it for a few assignments before September. I then heard that the UK agent Johnson's Photopia went into administration and I wasn't going to send my K1 to them in case I didn't get it back so I've missed out on the time-limited offer.
I've read elsewhere that Pentax are still doing the upgrade and are honoring their upgrade pricing. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, who has taken over from Johnson's in the UK?

I would give SRS a ring. They are likely to know more than most members here.
bforbes
Posted 29/10/2018 - 21:02 - Helpful Comment Link
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
An update as promised....

A new company has taken over JPSS.

Contact details:

Tim Kessel - [email protected]
Tel: 01782 753 342

I am under the impression that work will be undertaken in the current buildings for the short-term.

The new company name will be announced in due course, but for continuity they are using the JPSS email and website, which will change.

When I've got any more info. I'll share straight away.

Posted 30/10/2018 - 05:38 Link
Thanks to both of you. I'll get in touch with SRS.
Posted 19/11/2018 - 10:48 Link
Hi All
Just a brief update on the Johnson `s Photopia administration issue.
My KS 2 developed a problem with the shutter button being stuck in the half pressed position.( Long story I won’t go into here)
I rang Tim Kessel as suggested by Chris at SRS.
The call went to answer machine but Tim returned my within a half an hour.
I gave him the details and I sent the KS 2 off to him as suggested.
A week later the camera was returned very well packed, repaired and cleaned, for less than £100.
Very well pleased, so I think we can rest assured that we still have a very reliable repair service available.
The new company is now called
John Pye & Sons Ltd
Contact details:

Tim Kessel - [email protected]
Tel: 01782 753 342
Regards
Graham.
pschlute
Posted 19/11/2018 - 12:14 Link
Good to know. Thanks for the update.
bforbes
Posted 27/01/2019 - 18:25 Link
I asked SRS about it on the 12th of this month. Here is a copy of reply, which I took to mean they are operating as a repairer:

Hello

The company is part of the John Pye group of companies, and whilst two of the engineers used to work for JPSS the admin people are all different.
If you have something that is out of warranty they aren't the cheapest, but their details are below:

John Pye Technical

39-40 Marchington Industrial Estate

Stubby Lane

Uttoxeter

ST14 8LP

Thanks

Doug
Dave-L
Posted 22/02/2019 - 17:16 Link
Press Release Feb 12th:

http://www.johnpye.co.uk/johnpye-technical-secures-ricoh/
Quote:

John Pye Technical secures Ricoh Imaging

At John Pye Auctions, the UK’s leading commercial auction house network, we recently launched a new technical division and are pleased to announce that we have secured global firm Ricoh Imaging as our first client.

Following a huge consumer demand for an electronic product repair and refurbishment hub within the business, we created John Pye Technical, which will provide product repairs as well as offering technical warranty and refurbishment services to commercial clients and private customers.

Lots of interesting information in there. Can't find them on the website yet though.
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/DA*200F2.8/DA*300F4/DA*50-135/DA*60-250/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
johnriley
Posted 22/02/2019 - 18:18 Link
They have just done a warranty repair on my K-1, and it's all 100% OK.
Best regards, John
walt
Posted 22/02/2019 - 18:33 Link
They've just done a warranty repair on my DA*300 F4. Work seems good, resulting in a lens that performs better than new. They look thorough. Only drawback was it took a couple of months, but they were waiting for parts, it was over Christmas and they were probably picking up issues from the previous co. It's good to not have to send the kit to France or Germany, which is what Pentax support said I should do, however SRS knew better!
Walt
My newer photos google photos
My older Flickr photos Flickr
Even older ones Picasa
johnriley
Posted 22/02/2019 - 19:53 Link
Indeed, SRS organised it all and they were totally brilliant, as usual!
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.