Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Jobo GIGA one portable Hard Drive and card reader

bonnipics
Posted 23/04/2009 - 21:23 Link
I have a Jobo GIGA one and for some reason it's started to show 0.0 Gb memory space and refuses to read SD cards. Although I can access it from my PC and cut and paste to itand can see the whole 40GB capacity. Is it time to bin it or does anybody have any ideas thanks regards Ron
Quote:

terje-l
Posted 23/04/2009 - 21:47 Link
Isn't this just an 80 GByte harddisk? I would think reformatting may be in order - of course after copying its contents to another disk
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Oggy
Posted 23/04/2009 - 21:58 Link
I have been in electronics for a long time now, and have found when something starts failing, it continues to do so. I certainly would not use it for anything you cannot afford to lose. Does your computer report it as the correct size?
Comment Image
George Lazarette
Posted 23/04/2009 - 22:04 Link
Sounds like time for a new toy.

I use an Asus EEE PC 900, with an external 150GB hard drive. The Asus is a great machine for travelling, and the screen is considerably larger than any purpose-built photo storage device (that I know of).

There are models available with hard-drives (but I like the robustness of the SSD), and also with bigger screens. But those are bigger overall. For my money, the 900 or 901 are perfect for the travelling 'tog'.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Mannesty
Posted 23/04/2009 - 23:07 Link
It probably needs to be reformatted with the software that can be downloaded from here.

It must be formatted as FAT32, and not with Windows format utility.

As you delete files from it, the space occupied by those files does not then become available for more storage. Eventually it will think that it has no space left and report 0.0Gb Free space, hence the need to reformat it using their own software utility.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 23/04/2009 - 23:11
Oggy
Posted 23/04/2009 - 23:20 Link
Really?
Comment Image
Mannesty
Posted 23/04/2009 - 23:25 Link
Oggy wrote:
Really?

Yes, really.

It's also possible that the device has been formatted using Windows format utility and something other than FAT32 was chosen for the file system.
Oggy
Posted 24/04/2009 - 07:35 Link
I have been involved with disc drives since 1980 when a 5Mb disc was about 15" diameter and some of our smaller software controllers were not strong enough to pull our 300Mb discs out of the drives right up to SATA drives, and I have not observed this 'filling up' phenominum.

Odd.
Mannesty
Posted 24/04/2009 - 07:58 Link
Oggy wrote:
I have been involved with disc drives since 1980 when a 5Mb disc was about 15" diameter.

Me too.
Hardgravity
Posted 24/04/2009 - 08:22 Link
Quote:
It must be formatted as FAT32, and not with Windows format utility.

It's amazing how many external drives are still not compatible with Windows XP/Vista format systems.

I suppose it's so they can be used on MACs as well.

As for old drives, my first was a 20mb unit on an expansion card for my old Amstrad...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
shim
Posted 24/04/2009 - 08:40 Link
It's because they don't want to pay MS for an OS, which probably would be unsuitable anyway. Most external drives inc. domestic HD video recorders use Linux and the file systems vary. The HD's are often different to give faster access.

shim
Hardgravity
Posted 24/04/2009 - 09:05 Link
shim wrote:
It's because they don't want to pay MS for an OS, which probably would be unsuitable anyway. Most external drives inc. domestic HD video recorders use Linux and the file systems vary. The HD's are often different to give faster access.

shim

Makes sense.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Oggy
Posted 25/04/2009 - 00:18 Link
I'm puzzled here Peter.

A piece of software I wrote some years ago for a flight simulator included a replay function, so the pilot's actions could be played back to them. This we did by writing "snapshot" files at the rate of one per second to a PC hard drive. this was on a 40 minute rolling loop. once the 40 minutes was reached, the the system started deleting the oldest file and replacing it with the newest. When the software was shut down, it deleted all these files. One way or another, a lot of file creations and deletions.

We had no issues with discs filling up.
Comment Image
Mannesty
Posted 25/04/2009 - 08:57 Link
I have a Jobo GigaOne 40Gb drive and the behavior I have described occurs with mine.

It is odd, I know, and there is no mention of it in the manual. Maybe mine is faulty. I certainly don't use it very much. It was one of those bits of kit that I thought would be useful for long trips. Trouble is, I haven't made any long trips for years.

I'm in UK at the moment and my gear is at home in Spain. When I get back next Wednesday I will double check my claim and report back.

Interesting to note that the OP does not seem to have returned to this thread so we've no idea yet whether my reformat suggestion has fixed it. I've PM'd him.
Edited by Mannesty: 25/04/2009 - 09:00
bonnipics
Posted 25/04/2009 - 14:34 Link
Hi guys thanks for your interest and ideas. I have tried to reformat it in FAT32 but the PC can't read the drive thru the programme from Jobo. Although I still can see it on windows explorer. I'm affraid I no longer have faith in it now, so I guess its 'Bin Time' as the whole idea behind the beast is to provide sure and safe backup for my pics, thanks once again regards Ron
Quote:

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.