Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

*istD and Vivitar flasguns

Anonymous
Posted 10/01/2004 - 11:16 Link
Having just purchased a *istD, I have been advised by a friend that there might be some risk in using it with my tried and trusty Vivitar 283 and 285 flashguns in terms of the triggering circuits. Whilst appreciating that they will not be able to use the TTL capabilities of the camera, is there any electrical compatibility problem? I would hate to fry it.
Posted 12/01/2004 - 21:11 Link
Hi,

I'm interested in the answer to this question too, and as opinion is divided I decided to e-mail Pentax UK this evening and ask them directly.
I think I'll be happier knowing the answer comes "straight from the horse's mouth"!

I'll post Pentax's response here when I receive it.

Best wishes,

-NN
George Lazarette
Posted 18/01/2004 - 21:26 Link
The manufacturer's official line is always: "Don't use any other make of flash/whatever, as it may damage the camera and will invalidate the warranty". So don't be surprised if that is the answer you get.

The independent flash makers would very quickly go out of business if they "fried" cameras. Personally, I have never heard of it happening, and I have used a variety of flash guns (including very old studio flash units - connected directly to the camera) with a variety of Pentax and other cameras.

Apparently some old flash units used a very high trigger voltage, so if buying an old unit it is probably best to stick to well-known names to names like Vivitar.

If a flash unit is capable of using some or all of the more advanced features on a modern camera, then it will certainly behave properly. If it can't use the features, then it won't connect to the "extra" contacts on the hotshoe.

My only advice would be that you don't mix and match. Don't try to use a
Canon-dedicated flash with a Pentax body.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.