Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

*ist DS advantages over *ist D?

kyber
Posted 14/09/2004 - 08:22 Link
As I purchased a *ist D just a few weeks ago, I have been a little concerned about what the new camera will be like. Whilst I am happy with the *ist D, it would be a slightly bitter blow if the replacement turned out to be both better and cheaper.

It seems from the first looks on dpreview though that whilst there are some ergonomic improvements and minor improvements to the LCD panels and shooting speeds, overall they have left out a few things (some of which are surely just disabled in software) to leave the *ist D with an advantage. The new camera is also slightly smaller and lighter but I do not think I could cope with this as I have large hands. The *ist D is just about fine.

I am also not so sure the adoption of SD storage is a benefit. Perhaps that is just because of the decent investment I have made in CF cards though.

Overall, I am relieved. No doubt the experienced hands will have some strong views once more detailed reviews are available and some have had a chance to have a play.

Stuart
Anonymous
Posted 14/09/2004 - 13:51 Link
I'm feeling relieved too, but there's one feature that drives me nuts that they're putting on the new camera.... Interchangeable focus screens! Why didn't ist D come with that??? One of the single most useful tools for an autofocus camera to have, and they left it out of the pro version?
I told my wife that if the new camera looked like it had the same features as ist D I'd sell mine quickly before the new one was releleased, but I don't think I'll be doing that now! I'm not worried, especially considering the tiny size and SD memory.
mattie
Posted 14/09/2004 - 14:45 Link
Hi

It's third hand information I know, but apparently the *istD (and *istDS) do have interchangeable focus screens:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1028&message=10263443

Matt
john monaghan
Posted 14/09/2004 - 20:20 Link
I've been thinking about investing in the istd over the last few weeks, but it's cost is a barrier, and i was surprised to see that it is quite slow in terms of continuous frames per second (my me super can manage 2.7 I think). The istds is a little quicker and a fair bit cheaper so I may well put my pennies there, if reviews look o.k.
Anonymous
Posted 15/09/2004 - 02:17 Link
Thanks for the tip mattie! On closer inspection, I can see the retaining clip for removing the screen. Now for the fun part... finding someone who sells it!
Anonymous
Posted 22/09/2004 - 11:45 Link
Tater wrote:
Thanks for the tip mattie! On closer inspection, I can see the retaining clip for removing the screen. Now for the fun part... finding someone who sells it!

In Germany it's www.TeKaDe.de who sells them. They are fitting in both Pentax DSLR.
Paul
hockfoci
Posted 23/09/2004 - 10:24 Link
This site ha the ISTD'S' up already if anyones interested

Click Here and type Pentax ist in search window if it doesn't show straight away
MattMatic
Posted 23/09/2004 - 12:57 Link
Just trying to find out the differences:

The *ist-DS...
* has the same three meter modes
* has no hyper mode
* doesn't support TIFF (big deal!)
* uses SD cards, not CF
* cannot have a battery grip
* doesn't have an illuminated top LCD
* has a larger 2" colour LCD
* has only one white balance preset
* has only "AF", whereas the *istD has AF-C and AF-S
* has one custom preset (*istD has 3)
* doesn't appear to have mirror lock up
* has some extra features (like ISO warning and histogram preview, all of which could be addressed with an *istD firmware upgrade)

All in all, the *ist-DS looks an excellent beast! Much less of a feature crop when comparing the Canon 10D & 300D. But, I wonder how much the *istD will be hit, or how much extra Pentax will add to its firmware to make the price difference more worthy??

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
mattie
Posted 23/09/2004 - 13:44 Link
Hi Mattmatic

> The *ist-DS...
> * has only "AF", whereas the *istD has AF-C and AF-S

I was under the impression that the *istDs does have servo, but you can only access it if you use the appropriate shooting mode - in effect, you can't seperately control how you control exposure and how you control focus.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Matt
MattMatic
Posted 23/09/2004 - 14:31 Link
Matt,

The *ist-D has a three way switch to the left of the lens (as you are holding the camera): M=manual, AF-C=autofocus continuous, AF-S=autofocus single.

AF-C allows you to track moving targets without having to keep half pressing.

The *ist-DS has only "M" and "AF", presumably equivalent to the *ist-D "M" and "AF-S". Additionally, the *ist-D has an AF button on the back, and you can disable the focussing when you half press. I've found this useful in a few tricky situations - use the thumb to focus, and then use the finger for the shutter. You can't do that on the *ist-DS.

It looks like the *ist-DS is more point-and-shoot, but then it seems a very capable and flexible camera. Having spot focus is a real benefit (I used to have the MZ-5 which had spot, and my wife has the MZ-10 which doesn't but has "shooting" modes. She'll definitely love the *ist-DS!)

Hope that clarifies some more!
Matt
mattie
Posted 23/09/2004 - 15:03 Link
Hi Mattmatic

I think I've phrased my question/observation a bit weakly, I'll try again.

I was under the impression that the *istDS does (will) have both single and continuous (servo) focus, but you can't specifically choose one - by selecting the 'action' mode or whatever it is you actually get servo focus on the *istDS, whereas all other modes/programmes give you single focus. In this way the type of focus is inextricably linked to the mode of exposure calculation. I'm not even sure you can access servo focus outside of programme.

Basically, the focus on the *istDS is almost the same as the *istD save for the lack of a seperate switch.

Do you know if I'm correct in saying this?

Matt
MattMatic
Posted 23/09/2004 - 16:28 Link
Matt,

Ahh! Now I understand. You're probably quite right I can't comment either way!!

Matt

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.