*ist DL vs. *ist DS2

George Lazarette

Link Posted 19/12/2005 - 19:36
Anonymous wrote:
Sorry I know you are probably sick of this question.
I have a ist 35mm with a few lenses and want to changeover to digital.
Am I right to say that basically there is no major differences between the models in the ist digital range, the D is slightly more professional but quality and spec is ok on all models?

At the same price would the order of preference be
D DS2 DS DL

Yes and yes.

However, the D does have one drawback that will be important for some people. It is a little slower to write images to the card than later bodies. If you are used to shooting off loads of frames in quick succession, then a later body would be better. The other "disadvantages", such as USB1 and the smaller LCD are not a problem in practice. Most people use card readers, so the USB connection is redundant (in fact, they should drop it altogether), and the screen is quite big enough.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Gordon Holmes

Link Posted 19/12/2005 - 20:26
I dont know whether it me but there seem to be a current trend with companies changing models every few months, about 2 months ago i bought a PentaxDL and am well pleased with it, yet on nearly all these forum pages people start plugging new gear.... i find nothing wrong with that at all, but how many photographers change their 2 or 3 month old cameras to keep up with the contantly changing market ,i bet nearly every member on this forum wishes to upgrade but like me you save hard to get new gear then a couple of months down the road something new comes along. me i shall most likly keep my DL until it wears up.One thing which a lot of owners (not just Pentax) don,t know is that there are sometimes software upgrades for most models and sometimes these make a lot of differance.
Gordon

http://www.redbubble.com/people/fred59

mteck

Link Posted 19/12/2005 - 20:45
I wasnt logged in for my 1st post.
Thanks for your reply.

the D and DS2 seem to only be available in the U.S at the moment,
The cheapest I can find the D at is $1095 (about €910)

The DS2 $629 (€523) I don’t have the current Sterling exchange rate.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&...

In the UK the DL seems to run £100 to £150 cheaper than the DS (the cheapest I've found is DL £443 DS £590) With A link in this thread The DL @ €569
http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/foto/fotodigital/digitale-slr/page.html?page=2&... The DL @ €569

So I think the DS2 looks good at the moment

niblue

Link Posted 19/12/2005 - 20:51
I was in Jessops at the weekend and they had the DL + 18-55 kit for about £530 and the DS + 18-55 kit for about £550. I was after the DS kit which my local shop (Edinburgh) didn't have but Glasgow and Dundee did, so I drove to Glasgow.

Other Jessops shops might also still have stock of the DS.

mteck

Link Posted 19/12/2005 - 20:58
Forgot to mention all the prices are body only

mteck

Link Posted 20/12/2005 - 18:06
I have decided on the DS2 body inc. shipping it works out at £432.88 from the U.S. Before I order it has anyone any experience or advice on buying cameras in the U.S.

I only came across this site this week and I have to say in the searching I've done so far there is a lot of useful info and nice people here, I've even discovered a few things about the other cameras I have p30t and ist 35mm (btw I got the ist in Australia I seem to travel for my cameras).

George Lazarette

Link Posted 21/12/2005 - 00:10
If buying from the US, avoid companies like Abe's of Maine, which use nasty bait and switch selling techniques. Most of the real scammers are Jewish, but then, so is the best: B&H, which is extremely highly regarded. They are also conversant with selling overseas. Although I have not bought from them, I would not hesitate to do so.

I imported my first *ist D from Aden Photo of Toronto. They were fine.

KEH is another good American outfit - best for second-hand items, and very conservative with their appraisals.

But consider also Technikdirekt.de, and ask Park Camera if they can still get you a D. Their last price was much lower than any American's.

G

PS: Don't forget to factor in VAT, duty, and agency fees if buying from America.

Arthur Dent

Link Posted 21/12/2005 - 00:46
Two companies that are held in high regard on this side of the Pond are B&H and Adorama. I have dealt with both of them for many years, and they are always on top of things.

I ordered a hood for my 45-125 zoom form them, it turned out it was only the outside part. They refunded my money, apologized for not knowing it was a two part hood (hardly anybody does) and never asked for the part back. They like to keep customers loyal.

I just used B&H to order the 12-24 and the 31mm (the return of the excellent fast normal, this one for the D).

Both of these companies are Jewish, I guess most of the camera dealers are. They are all closed on the High Holy Days.

emem48

Link Posted 21/12/2005 - 08:21
Hi folks,
Seems to me a bunch of folks are in denial. The DS superceded the D - get over it.
Compare the specs of the 2 cameras - little difference - in fact in some specs the DS has a distinct edge.
And as far as the USB 2.0 goes George, it is substantially faster. And I'd be a very unhappy camper if Pentax "dropped it altogether". My USB cable is permanently sitting on my desk beside my mouse for a quick connection and download. Very fast. Card readers were only required because most equipment that used memory cards lacked the USB connection on the equipment itself.
I paid AUD$1000 less for the DS than I would have had to pay for the D a couple of months earlier. SOOO glad I waited.
I know the original post was a while ago but if you still want info try:-
http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Pentax-istDs/Pentax-istDs-review.htm and
http://www.pcphotoreview.com/mfr/pentax/digital-slrs/MPL_8920_3127crx.aspx
Mike M.
Mike M.
*ist DS & a bunch of lenses etc.

MattMatic

Link Posted 21/12/2005 - 09:31
Quote:
...little difference...

Perhaps in terms of "paper specs", but definitely not in terms of useability. Here's my list of items that I couldn't live without on the *ist-D, pretty much in priority order:

* Wireless flash using the popup flash
* AF button on rear with ability to not focus on half press of shutter
* Viewfinder bar graph metering for manual exposure
* Vertical grip
* Thumb and finger wheels for Av and Tv

And I believe there are more custom options on the *ist-D - and I do actually use them all! So... not in denial, but hoping that the next model will cover these things too

If I had a choice of an *ist-DS/DL and an as-new *ist-D - I'd go with the *ist-D again, even if it cost more

As far as image quality is concerned, though, they're all on a par (when it comes to RAW), and, as you say, the *ist-DS/DL are probably better out-of-camera when it comes to JPG.

Matt

niblue

Link Posted 21/12/2005 - 09:39
MattMatic wrote:

* Wireless flash using the popup flash
* AF button on rear with ability to not focus on half press of shutter

No interest in the above.

Quote:

* Viewfinder bar graph metering for manual exposure
* Vertical grip

But all these I would find useful as it'd become closer to the handling of my beloved Z1p.

Quote:

If I had a choice of an *ist-DS/DL and an as-new *ist-D - I'd go with the *ist-D again, even if it cost more

I'd have been happy to pay more for a D had I been able to find one, however I had enough trouble with the DS and it'll do until Pentax come out with a proper digital replacement for the Z1p.

Anonymous

Link Posted 21/12/2005 - 09:52
MattMatic wrote:

Which may sound like a minor point, but this really makes a huge difference to ease of use. I've no idea why Pentax dropped the second finger wheel after the D.

George Lazarette wrote:
However, the D does have one drawback that will be important for some people. It is a little slower to write images to the card than later bodies. If you are used to shooting off loads of frames in quick succession, then a later body would be better.

This, however, is a big disadvantage (for me at least). You only have a six shot buffer on the D, which may sound like a lot, but as it can take a minute or two to write six RAW files you can end up missing a lot of shots if things are happening quickly.

One other drawback of the D for new users is that it uses CF (compact flash) cards. When the D first came out these were the only affordable 1Gb+ option, but now SD cards are much cheaper and it doesn't look like CF cards will be around much longer - at least, not in Pentax cameras.

Gordon Holmes wrote:
i bet nearly every member on this forum wishes to upgrade

If Pentax ever do bring out a real upgrade for the D, I'll buy it like a shot. While they're basically re-badging the same camera I have other priorities. Next on my "upgrade" list is a 100mm 2.8 A Macro. Hardly new gear: they stopped making them in 1989!

Steve

http://www.siblog.co.uk/
http://www.siblingmedia.com/

Anonymous

Link Posted 23/12/2005 - 12:54
I think the point about promoting these models is important. I think the ist DS is brilliant but you could spend weks looking at photo magazine without finding reviews. Quite how Pentax UK stays in business (and why Mr Pentax Japan hasn't got pretty annoyed!), I don't know.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 28/12/2005 - 20:46
The people in denial are those who bought a lower-specc'd camera, and pretend they don't need the things the D offers.

Those few who choose to use the USB connection are of course welcome to do so, but it's a feature that adds cost without advantage.

As for Compact Flash cards not being around much longer, or being more expensive, get real!

But if any wise men are still interested in a D, I know of a shop which had a new one with a 16-45 lens on Christmas Eve, and it may still be there. PM me if interested.

G

Kevin Stephens

Link Posted 28/12/2005 - 22:59
my suggestion would be to get a DL as cheap as possible and start taking pictures, spend savings on decent lenses, eg the 16-45 in preference to the 18-55 etc

The lens will be good for a long time and you will be able to dump the body for a much better one in a year or two, which will make the diffference between the D-DS-DL seem insignificant
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.