Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

*ist DL and older flashes.

LiamD
Posted 30/12/2005 - 10:49 Link
Hi,

having used the old ME Super for a long time until it started feeling it's age, I've bought the *ist DL with 18-55 kit lens (which according to UPS's tracking system I should be unwrapping in a few hours ) I have lots of lenses and stuff ready to use.

I also have two flash guns, the Pentax AF200S (three pins on the base, if that matters) and a Sunpak 3600 Auto Zoom

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sunpak-Camera-Flash-Unit-Auto-Zoom-Not-Canon-Olympus_W0QQitemZ7576475140QQcategoryZ15221QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Disclaimer: I'm not selling this, just identifying the model to anyone who hasn't seen it)

Can I use them with my new camera? The ME had a coax socket so I could plug and play with the Sunpak. It's handy if you want to instantly blind 200+ people at a wedding reception. But the main reason is to use it at some point as a freestanding flash for portrait work, which would be a newish venture for me.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
niblue
Posted 30/12/2005 - 12:21 Link
As long as the trigger voltage isn't too high then either should be usable with your DL, although obviously not with the same level of functionality as with one of the later dedicated Pentax flash units.

You'll probably need to get a hotshoe to sync cable adaptor to use the Sunpak, and (depending on flash voltages) it might be necessary to get one which limits the trigger voltage at the camera.

I've just done a couple of portrait sessions using studio flash units with my DS (using a Nikon hotshoe to pc sync cable adaptor) and that worked really well. I especially like being able to see the results of lighting changes straight away without having to shoot polaroids as I did with my old Bronica medium format kit.
LiamD
Posted 30/12/2005 - 12:33 Link
Hi,

thanks for the info. It was the trigger voltage that was worrying me. I've just got the camera out of the box; it arrived 20 minutes ago, so I'm having a play with it setting it up at the moment. I've just set the language to Chinese and as I'm not fluent in it.. !!! I'm off to tour Google to set that up now.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

LiamD
Posted 05/01/2006 - 14:35 Link
Hi,

I've just been looking at trigger voltages here..

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Trigger voltage AF200SA (is this the same flash as the S?)... 7.65-7.82V

Trigger Voltage Sunpak 3600 Auto...................................... 194V

A hundred and ninety four volts

Quote:
You'll probably need to get a hotshoe to sync cable adaptor to use the Sunpak, and (depending on flash voltages) it might be necessary to get one which limits the trigger voltage at the camera.

Is there one available that limits the voltage down that far, and would it work anyway?

Also, can I use a remote flash trigger of some sort. This would negate the need for the flash to be conected to the camera at all? I'm happy enough setting the flash manually.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

MattMatic
Posted 05/01/2006 - 16:56 Link
Liam
Brilliant website - thanks for the link
Matt
LiamD
Posted 05/01/2006 - 18:23 Link
No problem Matt,

Would something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTICAL-SLAVE-TRIGGER-FOR-HOT-SHOE-FLASH-BRAND-NEW_W0QQite...

work on the Sunpak?

Cheers

Liam
Liam

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.