Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Is now a good time to upgrade to a K-5?

Smeggypants
Posted 12/05/2012 - 00:31 Link
michaelblue wrote:
wvbarnes wrote:
My son has just turned up with a new K5 for me bought from those nice people at SRS(he has a K20D). Not even my birthday!

My KR will go to my son in law for his birthday next month.

My daughter has a purple RZ10 from us.

I can't tell you what my wife has!

What a happy Pentax family

Go on....tell us, unless it begins with C or N

You can say Canon or Nikon. You just can't discuss them.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
percy
Posted 16/05/2012 - 08:43 Link
The K-5 is a good camera and a good price at the moment. There's always something better just around the corner, so you could be waiting forever! Bite the bullet and go for it, and use the extra money you'll save between the current cost of the K-5 and the model that will replace it to go towards a decent lens. You'll probably get more benefit from that.

BTW - I went from the K-x to a K-5 5 months ago and don't regret it.
That said, the K-x is a great little camera too and in some ways I wish I'd kept it as a backup camera. Oh well, needed to finance the K-5 somehow!
gazb0805
Posted 16/05/2012 - 09:19 Link
hi BarnHill I upgraded from the kx to a k5 and kept the kx as backup which is a very good backup. the k5 is an awesome camera and the minute I bought it I haven't looked back. I took the kx out the other day on a day trip and it just wasn't my 5, gonna sell the kx coz I know I'm never gonna use it again. the ease of use compared to kx is great, less noise at high iso, silent shutter,grip, nice bright view finder and the list goes on. buy one now!
BarnHill
Posted 18/05/2012 - 17:13 Link
davidstorm wrote:
BarnHill wrote:
has anyone here made then upgrade from the kx? Already have a small collection of glass so seems to be the natural route to take.

Yes, I have upgraded from the K-x, but have also kept the K-x too. I can confirm:

- K-5 transforms autofocus with a 55-300 lens - no more hunting!!
- K-5 is significantly faster to respond
- K-5 has better colour depth and detail
- K-5 can retain more dynamic range
- K-5 is significantly better built
- K-5 is far better with old 'manual' lenses and makes these an absolute pleasure to use (more accurate exposure, brighter viewfinder)
- K-5 has a better LCD screen
- K-5 has a built-in level (it works great on mine and is accurate)
- K-5 ROCKS!!

However, K-x is a fantastic camera and I will not be selling it anytime soon.

Regards
David

BarnHill
Posted 18/05/2012 - 17:16 Link
davidstorm wrote:
BarnHill wrote:
has anyone here made then upgrade from the kx? Already have a small collection of glass so seems to be the natural route to take.

Yes, I have upgraded from the K-x, but have also kept the K-x too. I can confirm:

- K-5 transforms autofocus with a 55-300 lens - no more hunting!!
- K-5 is significantly faster to respond
- K-5 has better colour depth and detail
- K-5 can retain more dynamic range
- K-5 is significantly better built
- K-5 is far better with old 'manual' lenses and makes these an absolute pleasure to use (more accurate exposure, brighter viewfinder)
- K-5 has a better LCD screen
- K-5 has a built-in level (it works great on mine and is accurate)
- K-5 ROCKS!!

However, K-x is a fantastic camera and I will not be selling it anytime soon.

Regards
David

My K5 arrived today and it defiantly ROCKS! Cant get over how mush faster AF is and how much quieter than the KX it is, not too mention how more intuitive it is to use
bugman1248
Posted 18/05/2012 - 21:11 Link
Enjoy!!
Pentax K5,Sigma 10-20 f3.5,Sigma 17-70 f2.8/4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Floggitt
Posted 18/05/2012 - 23:34 Link
Got my K5 last Saturday from the great guys at Carmarthen camera (if your on holiday in west Wales call in its a gold mine). I have upgraded from a K-m. Its is fantastic I cant wait until the weekend to go and have another days shooting with it.
The live view screen is so clear, its quicker to focus and quieter as most other posters have said. The biggest difference I first noticed was how fast it is in continuous drive. And how few images you get on a 4Mb SD card compared to the K-m.
Living in Wales its best feature for me is it weather resistance as it often rains here! Problem for me now is I am wanting to change a lot of glass to WR lenes.

ATM, K5 with 18-55WR, 50-200WR, DA 10-17mm ED (IF) FISHEYE, Sigma 70-300 APO Macro.
On my want it now list! D FA 100mm MACRO f2.8 WR
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
John's Law: If it isn't broke, it bloody soon will be.
JAK
Posted 18/05/2012 - 23:50 Link
BarnHill wrote:
My K5 arrived today and it defiantly ROCKS! Cant get over how mush faster AF is and how much quieter than the KX it is, not too mention how more intuitive it is to use

Excellent. The K-5 will be a tough act to follow.

John
John K
SteveLedger
Posted 19/05/2012 - 01:17 Link
Floggitt wrote:
And how few images you get on a 4Mb SD card

It would be very difficult to get even 1 single image from a 16Mp sensor on that card I'd say
davidstorm
Posted 19/05/2012 - 09:30 Link
sledger wrote:
Floggitt wrote:
And how few images you get on a 4Mb SD card

It would be very difficult to get even 1 single image from a 16Mp sensor on that card I'd say

I think Floggit was meaning a 4gb card, not a 4mb one!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
SteveLedger
Posted 19/05/2012 - 12:59 Link
....indeed, David - I got that.
Stuey
Posted 19/05/2012 - 13:06 Link
Floggitt wrote:
Got my K5 last Saturday from the great guys at Carmarthen camera (if your on holiday in west Wales call in its a gold mine).

I nearly pooped in lasy year whilst staying near Llanelli - I may make the effort this year

I'm 40 in September and had no idea waht I wanted but I hear the K5 calling
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
ChrisA
Posted 19/05/2012 - 18:25 Link
Stuey wrote:
Floggitt wrote:
Got my K5 last Saturday from the great guys at Carmarthen camera (if your on holiday in west Wales call in its a gold mine).

I nearly pooped in lasy year whilst staying near Llanelli - I may make the effort this year

Not entirely sure they'd appreciate your visit.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Mike-P
Posted 19/05/2012 - 18:32 Link
ChrisA wrote:
Stuey wrote:
Quote:

Not entirely sure they'd appreciate your visit.

Depends .. they may have been having a crap day.
Stuey
Posted 19/05/2012 - 18:39 Link
I see my excellent typing skills have produced another laugh - I nede a spel chcekre

I may pop in instead
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Edited by Stuey: 19/05/2012 - 18:42

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.