Is my film scanner borked? No earthl;y idea how to even clean it....

Jetsam1

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 05:05
Hello,

Got my developed films back and everything seems good with them (at least they are in focus this time!). However the Veho film scanner has an odd "blotch" showing up that I am sure is on the sensor. It wasn't there last time I used it and it has been stored in in its box since. Got all the the way from the UK to Budapest without showing any dirt etc so am not sure what it is. An example:

I can't see if this is dust or something wrong on the actual sensor. If dust there doesn't appear any easy way to actually get in to clean it. So, is it just knackered? These aren't enormously expensive and have I run up against the awful consumer electronics fail wall?
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 07:50
As the blotch is quite clearly defined, I'd say it's likely on the sensor rather than in the optics, but I could be wrong. Either way, if it's out of guarantee I think your only option is to try to take it apart and remove the offending particle. It's not a sensor fault because that wouldn't show up in this way, it would show up as lines across the whole image, it's definitely a particle stuck somewhere inside.

The colour balance is also way off, but I assume you didn't bother to correct it because the blotch is rather more of a problem.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Jetsam1

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 09:11
Yep, didn't bother for this one. Have since adjusted them all in Lightroom. I have tried to dismantle it but a lack of screws visible after the removal of the bottom plate suggests that there is glue and clips none of which can be seen. So, I think to clean the internals would require actually breaking the scanner so that would appear to be it really.

Have a contact for a scanning lab with Noritsu and Nikon so will decide if any of these latest are worth the better scan. Will have a think about how to proceed, whether replace my scanner or just use a lab for the next wee while.

alfpics

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 11:13
Don't know if the sensor/ optics are sort of near the slide entry point, but it might be worth trying a rocket blower into the opening? (ie one with the filter for air intake so you don't simply blow more muck onto the sensor)
Andy

Jetsam1

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 12:15
alfpics wrote:
Don't know if the sensor/ optics are sort of near the slide entry point, but it might be worth trying a rocket blower into the opening? (ie one with the filter for air intake so you don't simply blow more muck onto the sensor)

There is the light at the bottom but most of the internals are space! Te optics are near the top and unreachable from the slide entry point.

alfpics

Link Posted 05/05/2015 - 12:19
I was thinking that if you just blew into the opening, the air might dislodge the spot if it is just an alien dust particle
Andy
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.