Is anyone excited about the future of Pentax?

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 18/09/2011 - 21:58
I only ask because of what has recently been announced and rumoured.

1. New and improved Optio range. – They need doing. And with Ricoh not exactly big in this area, it might happen. Not a big money maker, but who knows?

2. The Pentax Q system – Beautifully made and best performing 1/2.3” camera by a long way. A true Premium product. Could be Pentax’s masterstroke.

3. Un-named and unknown spec CSC camera – The entry into the fastest accelerating market sector. Micro 4/3rds, NX and Sony NEX watch out.

4. A true “third” DSLR above the K-r and K-5. With the likelihood of Sony making all of theirs SLT in the next 18months, it could prove another masterstroke. Ricoh really want Pentax to be the foremost alternative to CaNikon in the “proper” DSLR arena.

5. The 645D – The camera we ALL aspire to. The best studio and landscape camera for the price (and more). Still want that Hasselblad or PhaseONE?

The only areas missing are the Bridge camera (possibly a dying breed and yes there is the X series, but they are third party OEM models and not exactly cutting edge) the premium compact (leave that to the Ricoh GX/GR/GXR models), and the Full Frame DSLR (not in the short term – but who knows long term?)

Excited? I am!
Some Cameras

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/09/2011 - 22:09
Pentax needs a FF DSLR if they are serious about taking on Canikon. Not so much because they are profitable but more to give a decent upgrade path from the K-5. The mirrorless cameras interest me but only because Pentax has no premium compact. An improved K-5 (up to date AF system) would certainly get me interested and the 645D does nothing for me at all, I don't aspire to one in the slightest.

Interesting times ahead .. yes I think so.
. My Flickr

wvbarnes

Link Posted 18/09/2011 - 23:44
I think it's exciting as long as the new Pentax continues to bring out DSLR's like my KX and now KR(or their future equivalent) that are such value for money as well as of good quality and innovative.

As for full frame I spend time with a pro friend lugging his bulky Canon and giant lenses around. Not for me as my APS-C Sony sensor does all I'd ever want!

ChrisA

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 02:13
Offertonhatter wrote:
The 645D – The camera we ALL aspire to.

Having handled one now, I'm with Mike. I hope they sell loads to pro studio type togs, since I want the brand to do well generally.

But I have no aspiration to own one. It was good to note that despite its size, it still felt like a Pentax, and hence was very easy to use, but my arms were aching by the time I'd played with it for a few minutes, it was slow to focus even with the standard lens, and even though it's cheap for a MF and has 10% off at the moment, it's price tag is mental.

Cool, but daft for most people's purposes, in reality. There's a reason it has two tripod sockets - it's because it needs them.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Hyram

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 08:29
More excited than I was - hoping for a K3 with the autofocus dramatically improved
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

simonkit

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 12:04
Good to know that investment in new products will continue - my guess is that DSLRs in general will cease to exist as they are now within a few years, I think everything is heading for mirrorless - I see Ricoh investing more in development of these models than DSLRs

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

Dodge69

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 13:24
Continued tie up with Sony has to be a good thing judging from K5 and the stats of the new A77.
That sensor and EVF with pentax glass and ergonomics please.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 15:51
wvbarnes wrote:
I think it's exciting as long as the new Pentax continues to bring out DSLR's like my KX and now KR(or their future equivalent) that are such value for money as well as of good quality and innovative.

As for full frame I spend time with a pro friend lugging his bulky Canon and giant lenses around. Not for me as my APS-C Sony sensor does all I'd ever want!

No reason why such a camera need be larger than say a K20d, and as for lenses, think along the lines of the FA24-90m (reputed to recently have been back on sale new), or something like the F35-70mm (tiny) or even the new DA35mm, which would be even better on FF than APSC. And this isn't even mentioning the FA ltds!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

nass

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 17:11
It all sure sounds exciting. But I'm surprised at the lack of firm roadmap information from Ricoh. I'd hope that comes out on the actual purchase day. It would do a lot to set DSLR owners minds at rest.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

johnriley

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 17:13
I'm not sure purchase day is here yet nass. Isn't it 1st October? If so, apart from general intent, I doubt that Ricoh will have much more to say.

Now when the day comes and they own Pentax, well that should indeed be an interesting time.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 19/09/2011 - 17:14
nass wrote:
It all sure sounds exciting. But I'm surprised at the lack of firm roadmap information from Ricoh. I'd hope that comes out on the actual purchase day. It would do a lot to set DSLR owners minds at rest.

Well as they don't take over until Oct 1st (and I presume until then anything can go wrong) it would be jumping the gun to officially announce anything. Only another few weeks and we should hopefully know everything.

Edit: And so I don't sound like an echo, John is obviously a quicker typer than me.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 19/09/2011 - 17:16
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.