Interesting fabled lens turned on PF

JAK

Link Posted 09/01/2020 - 01:10
Quote:
There seems to be quite a bit of overlap in availability, at least, if not manufacturing.

Well I'm pretty sure they weren't going to throw any unsold 'oldies' away. Even now some the older FAs are still available new along with the newer D-FAs.

I gather some of the rarer lenses were only made to special order.
John K

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 09/01/2020 - 08:22
M and K are lens series, not differences in the mount. The mount is exactly the same.

I think some people think that K lenses topped when the Ms came along, but this wasn't the case. Some K lenses remained available if they had no M series equivalent. I think the longest-running one was the 28mm f/3.5 Shift which remained technically in production until 2004. Likewise the A 50mm f/1.2 remained available (as a special order I think) into the F and FA periods.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 09/01/2020 - 08:47
Pentax truly was at the forefront of lens design and technology for quite a few years - I don't know a great deal about the offerings from the other "Big Boys" at the time but how many of them had prototypes (or limited release) of a 20mm f1.4 and a 35mm f1.4 that long ago?

The heritage of Pentax is so significant that it is probably the reason that it still exists today - clearly many of us on the forums have a number of old lenses that perform more than adequately (some are still equal or possibly better than the modern equivalents) - I really hope that the direction that has been indicated by the introduction of the new FF lenses (in particular the DFA*50/1.4) continues and our descendants will be having similar discussions in another 50 years time
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.