Interesting article in Amateur Photographer

Jetsam1
Posted 13/02/2014 - 22:02 Link
JohnX wrote:
Jetsam1 wrote:
Miss the ability to use AA batteries..

Not if you use a grip!

Good point well made!!!
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
davidstorm
Posted 13/02/2014 - 22:13 Link
When I bought my first K-5, I did not see a massive leap in IQ from the K-x, which was, and remains a great camera. However, there were loads of other big benefits which made it easier for me to get good images with the K-5.

The step up to K-5iis though and now the K-3 is more noticeable in terms of IQ. These two cameras easily surpass the K-x and the K-5, especially in terms of image detail, where the K-3 in particular excels due to its higher resolution. I can't wait to try the K-3 for insect macros this Summer, I'm expecting it to be superb for this type of photography, based on what I've experienced so far.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
RussV
Posted 15/02/2014 - 15:58 Link
The only thing I don't like about my k100d super is the difficulty of cropping a 6mp image and menu diving to change settings. When funds allow I plan to get a k20 or k7.
Edited by RussV: 15/02/2014 - 15:59
galeforce1
Posted 16/02/2014 - 18:19 Link
I still have my old K100D, and having just spent a little time going through some photos taken with it back in 2010, I have to say that the quality is still more than acceptible, especially when put through newer software. The main downside with it was that it was a bit of a struggle at high ISOs or in lower light, but on photos taken in better conditions I was more than happy with the results. I won't ever part with this camera, if my K5 ever fails I will be really glad that I have this as a back up.
MattyH
Posted 16/02/2014 - 18:59 Link
I must admit and it hadn't been mentioned as such in this thread, My Pentax K-r is one of my all time favourite Pentax cameras if not my all time favourite camera.

I can still remember the day I bought it from Jessops in a New year sale on 2nd Jan 2011, getting it home, and taking it out of the box and holding it for the first time, feeling how solid it felt with a fantastic weight to it compared to the rest of the market, I knew from that moment I would keep it till the end.
jemx99
Posted 16/02/2014 - 19:04 Link
RussV wrote:
The only thing I don't like about my k100d super is the difficulty of cropping a 6mp image and menu diving to change settings. When funds allow I plan to get a k20 or k7.

The K100d super produces some great results. One thing about not being able to crop, is it means you learn to frame your shots better which is a great skill to learn.
Algernon
Posted 16/02/2014 - 20:16 Link
Well this thread should convince Pentax that they don't
need to release a FF

Come on Pentax we want a Retro *ist DL

Oh! for the good old days of 6MB cameras!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 16/02/2014 - 20:17
RussV
Posted 16/02/2014 - 20:39 Link
jemx99 wrote:
RussV wrote:

The K100d super produces some great results. One thing about not being able to crop, is it means you learn to frame your shots better which is a great skill to learn.

I know, I shot 35mm slide film for years, but the less than 100% viewfinder means it can be difficult to make small adjustments without losing some vital mega-pixels

Although I've managed to get around that at times by increasing the image size by 10%.
Edited by RussV: 16/02/2014 - 20:42
richandfleur
Posted 16/02/2014 - 21:23 Link
Looking back over my collection with the K100d I notice that an awful lot of my photos are back focused. The improvement in focussing accuracy and speed is something I've noticed with the move to the K-30.

The K-30 does allow the use of AA batteries I might add

Taking a look back here has been really interesting. The K100d certainly packs a punch, and it picked up the shake reduction. Everything from roughly page 4 onwards was taken with it.

I'll tell also that when I got the K-30 I was disappointed with how 'plasticy' it felt compared to the K100d. The dials seemed to be cheaper plastic and didn't feel as firm when selecting the modes etc. That surprised me initially.

Now though, I can't wait to get my K-30 back from the service. Honestly I'd recommend upgrading to new Pentax equipment, even if it's a K-30 or K-50 instead of the more expensive models. For me the increase in viewfinder coverage and brightness, and the dual mode wheels etc have really made it a joy to use. Oh, and I don't fear the rain anywhere near as much as those around me now either
KatierRax
Posted 16/02/2014 - 21:38 Link
Having had my K200 stolen last year and being unable to replace it with anything more modern the thing this article has done for me is to convince me to look at getting a K100D. Ultimately I still want something with better ISO options, but the K100D (my first DSLR incidently) will do me just fine. I wouldn't go down to the *ist series though purely because I'd like SR.
Gamka
Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:28 Link
I still have my original *istD purchased in Tokyo before it became available in the UK. It is still used and performs well.

Will I dispose of it? Unlikely.
K10D
Posted 16/02/2014 - 23:42 Link
Algernon wrote:
Well this thread should convince Pentax that they don't
need to release a FF

Come on Pentax we want a Retro *ist DL

Oh! for the good old days of 6MB cameras!

--

But Algi,

The final image isn't the only reason people use FF, although some argue it is. It's because people have better options or more choice as far as kit and systems go. It's as much about using the kit as to what it produces which is down to the end user at the end of the day.

If Ricoh don't make a FF, so be it. There are plenty of other choices out there from companies that do. I'm shooting MF film, not because I find it better than digital but it's different and I just like using the camera and lenses.

As for a Ricoh Retro, yes, bring it on.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
ronin67
Posted 17/02/2014 - 01:56 Link
Not a big shocker. My first Pentax DSLR was the *ist DS and it took amazing photos, with great color saturation. I used it to take some amazing photos during the 2005 World Expo in Japan. The pics still stand out even compared to the newer Pentax DSLRs I owned later.

Ed
"DSLRs come and go, but none stand out more then Pentax"

Current DSLR: Pentax K3
Previously owned: Nikon D70, D50, D300s, D7000, D600, D800E/ Canon 50D & 7D/ Pentax *ist DS & K7

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.