Insurance?

ZaphodB

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 00:38
I have a special talent. My special talent is, I break things. I drop them, knock them, or I simply look at them and they suddenly refuse to work. And now I own a digital SLR. This can't end well. So I'm thinking about an extended warranty and/or insurance. Just wondering what folks here think is the best way to go? Stupid question but I've never bothered before since this is the first time I've bought photo equipment of this expense from new. In particular I see Pentax User offers a special insurance scheme; anyone gone for that?

Tanks in advance for any advice!
Do you know where your towel is?

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 07:58
Living in the Netherlands I can't use the Pentax user offer, but I do have my kit insured.
It is insured for loss, theft, accident in fact anything you can think of AND is covered if my kit has to checked in as hold luggage anytime so I am covered for lightfingered and clumsy baggage handlers. This is very unusual. You need to read the small print very carefully. Some insurers seem to only pay out if the camera/lens/whatever was on your person in a suitable bag at the time you had it stolen/dropped it/whatever. It costs me 80 euros a year.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 11:35
How much have you paid out in premiums over the last twenty years (adjusted for inflation)?

And how much have you claimed back?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 11:47
George Lazarette wrote:
How much have you paid out in premiums over the last twenty years (adjusted for inflation)?

And how much have you claimed back?

G

I took out the insurance last year. I was flying to the US in the middle of the last terrorist scare in London when handbaggage was banned. It wasn't clear if handbaggage was allowed from Amsterdam, and I have absolutely no faith in baggage handlers, anywhere in the world. As it turned out I could take my rucksack as handbaggage without any problems, but I am still glad to have the insurance - I had to list everything and it's value - I was shocked by how much it added up to!
Since it also covers theft from a vehicle or hotel room I feel it is worth it, if only so I don't have to take the whole kit with me everytime I go for a meal or whatever.
Some contents insurances will cover your camera gear, usually if you list them seperately, just as you can insure other valuables, but again the restrictions can make it that it isn't worth it.

I'd rather pay the 80 euros and be covered than lose the lot - I can't afford to replace it, and saving up would only work if you could be sure nothing would happen until you have a replacement sum saved up. It is a new for old policy.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 12:33
Actually you seem to have got quite a good deal, though I suspect you have slightly fewer items of kit than I do.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 12:41
80 euros is VERY cheap... I asked this question on here last year (or was it the year before?) as I'd been paying premiums of over 200...

So far I haven't bothered to re-insure as I've only had limited trips abroad and in the UK most of my kit is covered under my house insurance (thanks for the tip last time John and George!). That's due for renewal soon and I'll be adding in some specific items and seeing if they will cover when overseas.
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook

petekd

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 13:57
hi all

My camera K10D is insured with e&l insurance (value 750) with full worldwide cover includes, theft. loss, breakage, stolen from vehicle and accidental damage.

Premium 27.81 per year

www.eandl.co.uk

Pete

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 16:25
George Lazarette wrote:
Actually you seem to have got quite a good deal, though I suspect you have slightly fewer items of kit than I do.

G

Probably I do have less - no K10D yet. But it still added up to 4000 euros worth of kit. I have my Tamrac Expedition 5 rucksack included and the Vosonics image tank. Plus a couple of memory cards. All add up if you have to replace them so why not include them?? It is done thorugh the Dutch TV orgabisation, even though I have nothing to do with them.

ZaphodB

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 20:32
Thanks for the replies. Gwyn interesting about you flying back during the terrorist scare, I was due to fly into Heathrow on the day it began. Fortunately they weren't then enforcing the hand luggage regulations at Vienna (where I was flying from) or Brussels (where I got routed through), so even though the flights were messed up I was able to carry my photo gear on the planes. At that point I didn't own a dSLR but I still didn't want to lose my bodies and lenses. I have little faith in the staff either (nothing personal if any baggage handlers are reading this!); whether my stuff gets broken or stolen either way I'm not happy. So the new regulations for air travel are definitely part of the reason I'm thinking about insurance.

80 Euros (about 50?) certainly sounds good for something that comprehensive. I don't own a car and am more concerned about theft from person than from vehicle (I've had a couple of attempts to snatch a film camera from my hands in broad daylight, then there's the possibility of more subtle theft from bags.

Thanks for all the advice. No one has first-hand experience of the Pentax User club's insurance scheme though?
Do you know where your towel is?

Steve Ferrar

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 22:05
Have a look at this site.
They do not make one for the K10D yet but I am sure it is only amatter of time
http://www.camerarmor.com/

spirit_of_will

Link Posted 25/01/2007 - 23:51
ZaphodB wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Gwyn interesting about you flying back during the terrorist scare, I was due to fly into Heathrow on the day it began. Fortunately they weren't then enforcing the hand luggage regulations at Vienna (where I was flying from) or Brussels (where I got routed through), so even though the flights were messed up I was able to carry my photo gear on the planes. At that point I didn't own a dSLR but I still didn't want to lose my bodies and lenses. I have little faith in the staff either (nothing personal if any baggage handlers are reading this!); whether my stuff gets broken or stolen either way I'm not happy. So the new regulations for air travel are definitely part of the reason I'm thinking about insurance.

Thanks for all the advice. No one has first-hand experience of the Pentax User club's insurance scheme though?

This whole topic raises a couple of thoughts of mine. Firstly I work for an airline arranging all the airport handling and know how light-fingered some of the loading staff are reported to be. Going on our baggage pilferage figures I'd say that it's wise to be a bit worried. That having been said it's only a tiny proportion of the bags that we carry - say 1 in 25000+ - that get items taken from them (mainly cigarettes funnily enough! ). All of the simple precautions apply - my old role was to travel a lot and on major trips I used to take 3 SLR's and my MF kit with me. Before the latest round of alerts back in August I always used to keep as much of it with me as poss in my camera bag and would pack the rest in a locked peli case that could go in the hold. I must've done upwards of 200 trips like this and never, ever, not once had a problem.

My new role at work means that I don't get to go abroad half as much but just after New Year I had to go away to Cairo for a week - naturally there should have been lots of photo opportunities but how to carry the gear that I wanted? Hand-baggage regulations now mean that it's only 1 carry-on bag and I had to take my laptop for work. This time round as my photography specific insurance has lapsed I only took the K10D and 2 lenses - it was all that would fit within my hand-baggage allowance.

If you are going to travel a lot in the current climate and wish to take lots of kit with you then a peli case is a must - nothing else will stand up to the abuse. Mine has done countless journeys and there's barely a scratch on it...

Onto your last question - the Pentax specific insurance... That was the last policy that I had for photography kit, it's with a firm called Glover & Howe Insurance Services. Luckily I never had to make a claim so can't tell you how good they are. The last renewal notice that I had to cover 2 film SLR's, the *ist-D, 645nII and god knows how many lenses, flash, filters, meter etc, the premium came to well over 250 - not cheap!

Previously to that I used a company called AUA Insurance based in Norwich (they advertise in AP). In the 7 years I was with them I had to claim twice, once was a small claim for my MZ-5 and 2 lenses stolen from the boot of a car on Holiday and the second, again on Holiday was for the whole lot, apart from my then Mamiya 645 and 3 lenses which was in the locked peli case which was chained to a radiator in my hotel room! Both times AUA paid out IN FULL, new for old, which is how I came to be such a good customer of Chris at SRS who helped a lot in writing estimates and sourcing replacements for everything. Naturally Chris' prices were better than AUA's own replacement service and I managed to get the level of kit that I needed to replace the quality of what had been nicked.

Sorry for the long post guys - hope some of this is relevant... I think the short of it is that I would definately insure my kit if I was off on a major trip abroad but while I'm here in the UK, house insurance (with a few additional premiums paid to raise limits) just about covers my needs.

Will
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.