Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Info on Pentax-A 70-210mm zoom please

George Lazarette
Posted 05/03/2008 - 13:08 Link
Well, one lives and learns. I have never seen this lens referred to as a macro, and, of course, it isn't really. But I didn't know it had a macro setting.

Boz'z site says the max mag is .25. Does anybody think that is wrong?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Pentaxke
Posted 14/03/2008 - 19:03 Link
It indeed is 0,25x at its' clostest setting: it's the same magnification ratio on 70 (+macro setting) as it is on 210 (1,2 m closest distance), but you do well to use it at the 70 setting then, as sharpness declines rapidly once you go under 2m distance (@210.)

I had it back in my film days, and I didn't think much of the lens. I have it now again and use it on my D and it's quite sharp, provided you avoid f/4 @ 210mm...

I never understood why Pentax never updated this lens to an AF version... :
Posted 25/02/2016 - 00:34 Link
I have this lens and the the lens can zoom by it self (gravity) because it works so smooth. The macro position is only available in the 70mm position and locks the in the 70mm position. So you can focus but you can't zoom
The image is about the same size as in the 210mm at closest focusing distant.
Zoom-creep is not funny when taking macro pictures and pentax avoided that this way.
On the net there are rumors that this lens woul not have a constant aperture, I checked on a white wall and found that my camera (samsung gx20) gives the same exposure time from 70mm to 210mm.
In a practical situation exposure time wil differ due to the fact that zooming in usually means less sky.
This lens came with the 1.7 50mm that I bought (also included a program A film camera).
At the moment I don't use it sice I have a 50-200 WR wich is a lot lighter.
But as soon as I have a K1 I wil use this one.
ilovesaabs
Posted 25/02/2016 - 11:58 Link
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman! Is 8 years a record on PU? Strange seeing all the old names , clarky et al,
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
BruceStrachan
Posted 25/02/2016 - 14:50 Link
You know I was just thinking I didn't recognise any of the names....never noticed the 2008 until your post!!!
Cheers,

Bruce
ilovesaabs
Posted 25/02/2016 - 19:46 Link
You've not been around long enough to remember our George - a PU Legend
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Gwyn
Posted 26/02/2016 - 09:21 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
You've not been around long enough to remember our George - a PU Legend

I think he still pops in very occasionally, unlike Clarky who, like so many, has vanished without a trace.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.