Indoor sports team photograph...advice please

Sean282

Link Posted 16/10/2013 - 21:58
Hi guys

Local primary school principal has asked if I would take a sports team photograph. 14 lads to shoot and I've my K5 and a sigma 530dg super for flash. Any tips you can pass on?

fritzthedog

Link Posted 17/10/2013 - 09:23
There are members that are far more experienced than I with indoor photography. It would be unfair of me to name some but if you are a regular reader - you will be aware of some of them and it may be worth a pm to them.

Best advice I could offer would be the obvious things like - visit in advance and check out the available lighting - is there much natural light - what electric lighting is available etc.

I am guessing that like most of us - you will not have a van full of studio lighting available so - does the school have any portable spot-lights for instance?

You will need to be getting as much light as possible as your flash will struggle for an even spread over a group shot like this.

Personally, I would try and organise the group to take up as little space as possible - perhaps in seated and standing rows - the closer you can get them all in frame the better. You don't mention what lens you will be using but the faster the better and you may need to push the ISO up.

Don't forget the tripod and use a remote if you have one

Shoot in Raw or Raw+ if you are uncomfortable with just RAW files

If at all possible - try and arrange it so you can take some shots - and view them on a PC/ laptop immediately and keep the lads available so that you can shoot again if needed - or do a test shoot prior using anybody available.

Good luck and apologies if I have stated the blindingly obvious.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 17/10/2013 - 14:11
This is the sort of job we local Press Photographers USED to get all the time - now there is a TEACHER with a 'School Camera' who takes them and sends them to the newspaper for FREE so any Freelancers or Staff Snappers don't get the job !
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

fritzthedog

Link Posted 17/10/2013 - 14:23
Peter Elgar wrote:
This is the sort of job we local Press Photographers USED to get all the time - now there is a TEACHER with a 'School Camera' who takes them and sends them to the newspaper for FREE so any Freelancers or Staff Snappers don't get the job !

Have to say round here it is still the local paper that sends a staff photographer out for this sort of thing - and village fetes etc - I have done the odd fete for them when their regular has not been available.
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

gartmore

Link Posted 17/10/2013 - 20:32
Peter Elgar wrote:

recently had a request from a local paper, national company with profits in the many millions, to use a picture for free. I told them where to go.

But back on thread, my advice is: your flash is easily powerful enough, whilst they are getting set up do some test shots. Obviously I don't know the location but if the ceiling is low I would try bouncing with the catchlight panel extended, or bounce at 45 degrees. If you have a white wall behind you you could try bouncing off that which I have found to be very effective but I'm assuming you can get the flash off camera
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Sean282

Link Posted 17/10/2013 - 23:36
To Peter
As much as you'd like to tell me off for taking the scraps from someone elses tables, I'm afraid you're well off the Mark

I happen to be the owner of a DSLR who spends 8 to 12 hours a week coaching in my local GAA club (look it up). I've coached everyone of these lads for over 5 years since they were 4/5, so when they win a tournament playing for the local school I'm more than happy to be part of celebrating their success.

Shots in question will be used on both the school and my clubs website. It was stealing no ones thunder

Sean282

Link Posted 17/10/2013 - 23:52
Many thanks for the advice provided....I must take some time to learn how to use flash properly

I ended up going outside with them and used the flash in pttl mode (basically I winged it). The results were no better than I expected ...amateurish although good enough for a website and an historical record

greynolds999

Link Posted 17/10/2013 - 23:53
Aside from lighting, think about what you want to say. There's the traditional shot with the captain in the middle, front row kneeling and back row standing.

But if you have the chance, try different angles/poses to mix things up. Low down with the kids leaning towards you or in a circle, high up (from a ladder?) with the kids jumping as if they're going for the ball.

And get the kids to join in. They usually have tons of imagination.

And remember that sharp and in-focus matters more than low noise.
My Photobucket
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.