In praise of the humble MV1

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 15:16
The MV1 doesn't seem hugely sought after now. On the surface you can see why, it's Av auto only (with manual 1/100 and B settings) and doesn't even tell you what shutter speed it plans to use, instead showing you a green light if it's safe hand held or an amber one if you should use a tripod with extra red lights to show if the exposure is beyond its abilities or that the flash is ready.

But when I saw this one for £5 with a stuck selector dial I decided to rescue it. The lens was a similar purchase some months ago with a bit of fungus which cleaned out easily enough. I've un-jammed the selector, it all works and sounds accurate enough to try a film:

I now have two of these bodies through similar circumstances, this is the nicer of the two although they both work. The other has a marked focusing screen which I can't work out how to replace (got a spare, just needs fitting). I also picked up an AF160 for a fiver at the same time, which I used to take this photo.

Film photography for less than the price of a good meal, and it'll wipe the floor with those Holga things!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Snootchies

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 17:00
I can't argue with you Matt, I have the precurser to that one, the M-V. I believe the M-V suffered from pronounced mirror vibration (it does give quite a thump) hence Pentax released the MV-1 to address this. Though my pics have been fine.

Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

Hardgravity

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 17:27
I've a couple of both, all work and have been used, none cost more than a fiver. One of my MVs cost £3.98 including postage!

Now that was a bargain.

In use I find them very competent even though they are, effectively, a point and shoot camera.

Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 17:51
Hmm, I need another chrome MV1 to complete the set (I had one, then it jammed, and now it's got the non-cocking-shutter fault). I did think about trying to swap the panels onto the scruffier of the two black ones, but every time I try to fiddle with the self timer screw on a camera body it invariably shears off (even after I learned which way to turn them!)

The MV seems rarer, it was certainly shorter-lived as it was just a little bit too lightweight and suffered from vibration as said above. The MV1 added a self timer and a coupling for the motor winder.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with multiple examples of the M 50mm f2!
Matt

johnriley

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 18:03
The MV and MV1 were released at virtually the same time and ran together for a while. The minor differences have been noted.

They are basically simplified ME-based designs. There is a mint MV sat on our shelves - Sue's first SLR.
Best regards, John

womble

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 22:20
I have one of each of the MV and the MV1, part of my M series collection. I don't have every variant, but I do have at least one of each M series model. Doesn't the MV/MV1 have the exp.comp. hidden under the ASA dial?

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Hardgravity

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 22:30
I also have multiple f1.7 lenses as well Matt

I see a good lens at the right price and LBA kicks in!!
Cheers, HG

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 23:03
womble wrote:
I have one of each of the MV and the MV1, part of my M series collection. I don't have every variant, but I do have at least one of each M series model. Doesn't the MV/MV1 have the exp.comp. hidden under the ASA dial?

K.

I think it does, but on the occasions when I've had cause to remove the ASA dial I haven't seen any sign of a linkage between the inner ring and the part which actually sets the ASA! I'm therefore wondering if it's more like the display on the back of some flashguns which moves parts of the table as you change the ISO setting - it doesn't actually do anything to the camera but instead acts as a guide to show you where to set the control?

I'm currently up to four M 50/2s as a result of buying three stupidly cheap ones and already having one from my K1000...
Matt

Last Edited by Dangermouse on 09/12/2010 - 23:04

johnriley

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 23:49
Quote:
it doesn't actually do anything to the camera but instead acts as a guide to show you where to set the control?

Correct.
Best regards, John

mowog

Link Posted 11/12/2010 - 20:22
I'm sure that I'm about to put my foot in it, here... Especially with JR. But...

I have never liked the ME, MV, MG series cameras. Their introduction marked the start of a slippery slope for Pentax, from which it has never really recovered.
In the 1960s Pentax was regarded as a serious, high end manufacturer. At that time, it was number 1. Bigger than Nikon and Canon. For the first part of the seventies, things were still quite good. The K series cameras were highly regarded, though by this time, Pentax was already being overtaken by what we now call the big two. Then, things started to go wrong; Pentax went down market, producing too many low end and similar to each other cameras. Lightweight, simple point and shoot Auto SLR cameras for the mass market. The MV, MG ME range may well have made Pentax some money, but they didn't do anything for the company's reputation. Pentax became known as a second rate manufacturer. An Amateur's make. And that's how Pentax is still seen today.
Yes. I blame the countless medeocre samey cameras pentax decided to concentrate on, for the marque's decline.
The MX was a great camera, but the rest of the M series were a mistake, in my view. This is bourne out by the fact that nobody wants these cameras now. Ebay is awash with them, fetching a fiver or less, while Spotmatics and K series cameras fetch much higher prices. The Ms are Pentax 'litter'. Unloved and largely ignored.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

Algernon

Link Posted 11/12/2010 - 20:42
The error Pentax made was carrying on with screw thread cameras for far too long. Everyone else had long since moved to bayonet. This alienated the press who never came back on the side of Pentax, probably because they had all had to switch systems. Olympus OM cameras had been out for about 5 years when Pentax switched over to similar stuff. The MX came out at the same time as the ME.

The ME and MX were expensive cameras and without the cheaper models Pentax just wouldn't have survived.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 11/12/2010 - 20:49

johnriley

Link Posted 11/12/2010 - 20:47
They were intended to sell SLRs to compact camera users and hence the cut down spec bodies, but of course high quality lenses. After all, even a humble MV will knock spots off any of the common rangefinders of its day, in terms of quality.

The ME Super was the best of the bunch, and it's an efficient SLR. The MX is my favourite.

Don't forget the A series started off splendidly with the Super A, European Camera of the Year...I would put the decline at the start of AF cameras. The Z series are unappealing, large and clunky. It was to be the MZ series that put things back on track, spoecifically the tremendous MZ5 which was firsly back where Pentax belonged.

Others will no doubt disagree with both of us.
Best regards, John

digikid-tv

Link Posted 12/12/2010 - 10:34
johnriley wrote:

Don't forget the A series started off splendidly with the Super A

Snag about the Super A was that it was mimicking the electronically based Canon A1, offering only a much better DOF preview system, but was released 5 years later. An early example, oft since repeated, of Pentax being caught out by technology changes led by other manufacturers??
John

Dangermouse

Link Posted 12/12/2010 - 21:53
I'm not sure that it's fair to call the M series bodies "litter". Good ME Supers seem to fetch reasonable sums. I have ended up with three dead ones (non-cocking shutter) though along with a broken MV, MV1 and MG, which are now supplying parts to keep other cameras running.

I'll cheerfully accept that I'd rather have an ME or MG from the more basic bodies as they at least tell you what shutter speed they intend to use. My thoughts here were to get hold of a very nice example of the MV1 for my collection. I'll definitely put a roll of HP5 through it as I want to show what can be achieved even with the absolute bargain basement end of the Pentax range (and that having a play with film needn't cost more than a pub meal).

They all have their uses. Before it got stupidly cold (and therefore hazardous to mechanical cameras) I was planning to leave the scruffier MV1 in the car all the time, tucked away out of sight and in an ERC to protect it from knocks. I thought it might make an interesting project to document where my car had been over the course of a few months and a cheap, easily replaced camera/lens which can still take very decent photos is a perfect tool for the job. Given I have had water up to bonnet level before now I'm not inclined to leave things worth more than a fiver in there!
Matt

Hardgravity

Link Posted 12/12/2010 - 22:34
I've examples of all the Ms and for choice prefer the MX and ME with the ME Super coming a very close third.

Like DM I've carried a MV at work on odd occasions when it could be fun to shot things I came across.
I agree with John that the best auto models are the MZ series, I've not come across an *ist so can't comment on them.

Out of the MZs I have it's the MZ6 that I prefer with the MZ30 next. I find the MZ10 and MZ50 I have too simple and dare not use them at work incase they get damaged.

As for size, the MX and ME fit easily into a pocket and can be carried with ease. The MZs are similar but when fitted with a grip (to use AA batteries) are not much smaller than a DSLR.
Cheers, HG

Last Edited by Hardgravity on 12/12/2010 - 22:36
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.