In Praise of the DA L 55-300 Lens!

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/01/2014 - 23:49
The poor old DA L (plastic mount) version of the 55-300 lens often comes in for a bit of stick and I see constant recommendations to buy the DA metal mount version. However, I love my DA L 55-300 and I've taken what I would consider some of my best landscape shots with this lens. So, I thought I'd post just a few of some that I like!

Isolated Landscape - K-5IIs

Ullswater Mono - K-x

Light - K-x

Winter Squall over Hope Valley - K-x

The Landing - K-x

Man On A Mission - K-5IIs

Casting Into The Surf - K-x

Constantine Bay - K-x

Thanks for looking.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

DrOrloff

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 00:17
It is optically identical so hardly a surprise that it takes images as well as a metal mount version.

Nice shots, it is certainly a lens that punches well above its weight at the sweet spot. But tell me how the plastic mount is faring in 50 years time.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

davidstorm

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 00:23
DrOrloff wrote:
But tell me how the plastic mount is faring in 50 years time.

Actually, I would be surprised if the mount fails before other parts of the lens mechanism do! I don't think many people will be using DA or DA L 55-300 lenses in 50 years!

Cheers
David
Flickr

Dodge69

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 00:27
DrOrloff wrote:

I suppose if you're still using it in 50yrs time means Pentax still haven't come out with a FF.

I too would cast vote on the humble DAL 55-300, cracking lens, for someone who doesn't shoot long that often the fact it is so light makes it easy to always have with you
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

DrOrloff

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 00:32
davidstorm wrote:
DrOrloff wrote:

Actually, I would be surprised if the mount fails before other parts of the lens mechanism do! I don't think many people will be using DA or DA L 55-300 lenses in 50 years!

Cheers
David

Neither do I.

However, if I am still alive in 11 years time and the K mount is too then I guarantee that I will still be using several of my K series lenses 50 years after their birth. And they will last many years after that and many years after me.

Billdad

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 03:13
I Think if you took images through a beer bottle they would still look good David.

Regards
Bill

McBrian

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 04:47
Masterful images

Yet again it shows that it is not the gear but the skill to know how to use
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

Blythman

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 06:54
Good advert for the K-x never mind the lens
Alan

PPG
Flickr

swarf

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 10:42
McBrian wrote:
Masterful images

Yet again it shows that it is not the gear but the skill to know how to use

+1

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

michaelblue

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 12:26
Blythman wrote:
Good advert for the K-x never mind the lens

+1
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Stuey

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 12:40
Billdad wrote:
I Think if you took images through a beer bottle they would still look good David.

Regards
Bill

Have they sussed out your secret David actually it's not a beer bottle it's the hat he wears that is the secret behind these images

More seriously David, you have highlighted a valid point in that the DAL version is overlooked or given stick when as you have proven it produce some great results that said the other versions have their differences in terms of mount etc so each to their own on purchasing as such

Another thing I would like to point out here is just look at your landscapes with a telephoto lens - very nice - a combination some certainly overlook (ie landscape/telephoto lens)

Nice photo's David - thanks for sharing
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

python118

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 13:17
Nice pics Dave, most of us will not be around in fifty years time, I allso have the 55-300 have not taken that many shots with it as only had lt last November. I do find it heavy compared to the 50-200 but lets more light in, am using it at a friends wedding soon

Regards Dave

benwood08

Link Posted 17/01/2014 - 16:43
I must say that having had the 55-300 for most of the short time i have had my K30 and with my limited experiance/knowledge i find the lens really good.

All my photos on here are taken with it. Given that most of my pictures are taken from a moving ship at sea in what can be very unpleasent weather and it has never caused me any issue/concerns i would recommend it to anyone.

Brilliant pictures, i really like the ones with the mist.

davidstorm

Link Posted 19/01/2014 - 10:32
Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread. I hope it may have sparked some interest in using the 55-300 for landscape work, I plan to make a series of landscape images in 2014 with this lens just to do something a bit different.

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 19/01/2014 - 10:33

tyronet2000

Link Posted 21/01/2014 - 16:34
DrOrloff wrote:

I'll be 120 yrs old then so watch your inbox for a pm.

A great set of images David. I think time, place and skill of the photographer played a major part in their production.
Am looking forward to trying the metal mount 55-300mm with the K5IIs, didn't get good results on the K7 but they did improve slightly when I took the uv filter off
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.