Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Ilford Galerie papers

aminstar
Posted 17/09/2009 - 11:28 Link
Hi, I have been trying to dl ICC profiles for Ilford Smooth Fine Art paper and the Gold Fibre Silk papers from the Ilford site for Canon Pro 9000 printer and so far I have been unsuccessful. Have been through all the options and selections that closely match equivalent papers but none give me the profile that the instructions mention. I am supposed to have the IGGFS13 for the Gold fibre silk and IGSFAP for the fine art paper but none shows this when I download.

Even sent an email to JP Distribution technical help and they sent me an email saying they have contacted Ilford to get some info but no luck so far yet with any profiles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Amin
Anvh
Posted 19/09/2009 - 22:28 Link
Amin not a solution to your problem but something else.
The Pro 9500 use the chromalife inkt if I'm correct, Ilford says it is not recommended to use it on the gold paper link

Just something I came across since I can't find the profiles either but the gold one is under the pro9500 though but since they use different inkt I would not advice using that profile.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
aminstar
Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:00 Link
Anvh wrote:
Amin not a solution to your problem but something else.
The Pro 9500 use the chromalife inkt if I'm correct, Ilford says it is not recommended to use it on the gold paper link

Just something I came across since I can't find the profiles either but the gold one is under the pro9500 though but since they use different inkt I would not advice using that profile.

Thanks Stefan , I ended up finding out that also. The Pro 9000 MK2 uses dye and you are right, the gold paper is not suitable for it only the 9500 uses pigment. I think you mistyped up there instead of Pro 9000 you put 9500, but I am sure you meant Pro 9000 like the one I have.

But problem is even for the ilford galerie smooth fine art paper I cannot find profiles and I even had a chat with the tech guy after sending him two emails and he was also stunned. He said he emailed Ilford in the States and was still awaiting a reply, which unusually hasn't still arrived. He said that was very unusual because most times they respond within 24 hours and it has been 3 days now.

So at the moment I have been printing using generic Canon profile and seleting Photo paper glossy plus for the Galerie fine art paper I have, and I must say I am quite impressed. Not sure how this could be improved with the correct profiles from Ilford but if they do then I am in heaven
Edited by aminstar: 19/09/2009 - 23:01
Anvh
Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:24 Link
aminstar wrote:
I think you mistyped up there instead of Pro 9000 you put 9500, but I am sure you meant Pro 9000 like the one I have.

Yes you're right Amin but you did understand me though

Not many other printers have the Fine Art as profile, don't know why not though.
You could try to see how the Gallery heavy matt profile works on the fine art paper instead of using the canon one.
Simply print a small image with both profiles and compare.

I'm now using the ilford profiles on Epson paper with a Canon printer and the results are good so far as I can tell.
With the canon profiles i always had a colour cast, red was the problem so far as I can remember.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 19/09/2009 - 23:25
aminstar
Posted 19/09/2009 - 23:31 Link
Anvh wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="aminstar"]
With the canon profiles i always had a colour cast.

Excuse my ignorance Stefan, but what is colour cast?

Oh and you just helped me with something even without realising, about Epson papers . My local IT shop where occasionally I go to get something if I am in a hurry had two boxes of Epson photo paper and he wanted to sell them to me. He literally was begging me to take them and he said he would sell me at cost price because he got stuck with them and cannot sell them off locally. Its a small local shop and I presume there is no market for such expensive papers. I told him I was using Canon printer and he said if I wanted those two boxes he could sell me very cheap. He had one box of Glossy Epson photo paper and the other one I think was matt but it didnt clearly state matt. I only noticed in the other one written Glossy. It was marked £32 and he wanted to give me at heavy discount. Told him would think about it and come back next week if I was interested.

So tell me about the papers you have been using. are they good? And which profiles are you using then? Which specific papers from Epson are you using and for what printing? Portraits, landscapes etc?

May be I will get a bargain if these papes are any good to print on Canon printers then
Anvh
Posted 20/09/2009 - 00:11 Link
Colour cast is... a shade of colour over the photo, Had some mahor problems with that when printing out-source very cheaply, there is a colour shade(cast) over the whole photo.
To be honest that was not the truly problem with the Canon profile, just they way the handle the reds nothing more.

The Ilford, epson, canon, option didn't came up randomly but searched on the net for experience about them.
Already had bought a Canon iP4500 but was not sure about the paper.
Out test the Epson Glossy photo, the simple 4 star one came out on top of all the others even better then the more expensive 5 star prenium papers from epson.
When seraching I found a forum where someone was getting good results on epson paper with Ilford inkjet glossy profiles so tried it out and it works good for me at least.

Will try to look it up, they guy tested several kind of papers and profiles if I remember correctly.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
aminstar
Posted 20/09/2009 - 01:17 Link
Anvh wrote:
Colour cast is... a shade of colour over the photo, Had some mahor problems with that when printing out-source very cheaply, there is a colour shade(cast) over the whole photo.
To be honest that was not the truly problem with the Canon profile, just they way the handle the reds nothing more.

The Ilford, epson, canon, option didn't came up randomly but searched on the net for experience about them.
Already had bought a Canon iP4500 but was not sure about the paper.
Out test the Epson Glossy photo, the simple 4 star one came out on top of all the others even better then the more expensive 5 star prenium papers from epson.
When seraching I found a forum where someone was getting good results on epson paper with Ilford inkjet glossy profiles so tried it out and it works good for me at least.

Will try to look it up, they guy tested several kind of papers and profiles if I remember correctly.

Excellent Stefan, hope you manage to dig that info out, that would really make my day . I have been trying various options and haven't set my mind still on any particular combination. From what I know your researches are pretty detailed and I am really excited antecipating that info so I can try that combination.

Thanks once again for your great help
Anvh
Posted 20/09/2009 - 13:16 Link
Sorry Amin but can not find it any more

You can look up for some paper test and see how Epson does, they are pretty good.
I would just buy the pack since they are quite a bit cheaper then the ilford and try them out and use them if you like them.

Need to be going soon (birthday) will info you a bit more if i can later.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
aminstar
Posted 22/09/2009 - 17:57 Link
Managed to grab the two packs that the local supplier had, one which is Epson photopaper and the other one says glossy. With a bit of convincing the chap sold me for £20 each, I think it was a bargan as the normal price was £32 for one and the other one £34.

Printed couple of portraits on the glossy one with canon profiles and so far looks pretty good. The real test will be when I print the smoke images with that black background.

Stefan I too searched for any ICC profiles with the Epson paper and Canon printers and couldn't find any. If anyone knows any links it would be ice to try them.

many thanks again for all your help. That was really helpful

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.