Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

If you have consided a "grey import" camera and/or lens...

steven9761
Posted 09/03/2012 - 13:26 Link
I was chatting with our import broker this morning, and it cropped up in conversation about digital cameras in general. We both double-checked the official HMRC Tariff Guide, and can confirm that:

(A) DIGITAL CAMERAS (compacts and DSLR's) are free of import tax.
(B) CAMERA LENSES have an import tax of 4.2% applied upon importation.

In both of the above cases, VAT at the current rate of 20% is payable.

* This information applies solely to imports being brought to the UK.
Please check with an import agent in your own country for further
information.

Anyone who has/had considered importing digital cameras and/or lenses from abroad but were unsure of the levies can now decide on the economics of buying "grey imports".

Note that import tax is not charged on goods that were purchased within the EEA (European Economic Area), but you should expect to pay VAT at the local rate (if bought in Belgium, Belgian VAT is paid, etc).

It is important to point out that goods purchased from a supplier based in the Channel Islands are taxable, as the Channel Isles are NOT EU members.
Edited by steven9761: 09/03/2012 - 13:27
johnriley
Posted 09/03/2012 - 13:37 Link
The biggest problem I see is what you do if you open it all up and it's damaged or doesn't work. It's just not worth the hassle when suppliers like SRS offer such a great back-up service.
Best regards, John
steven9761
Posted 09/03/2012 - 13:47 Link
That's one of the risks in importing, John. That said, some people may still consider it to be a worthwhile exercise if they can save money overall.

Generally speaking, most (if not all) fragile equipment such as cameras, lenses, etc tend to be placed in an over-pack with plenty of cushioning materials, to minimise the risk.

This thread was really just to provide a source of information for anybody that had been thinking along the lines of overseas purchases.
Algernon
Posted 09/03/2012 - 14:36 Link
Interesting information... Thanks.

I presume the Channel Island Companies will charge the
correct VAT on items above the free limit?

What is the free limit? Is it about £17 and is that with or
without postage.

I recently bought a £16 memory card post free, which I'm sure
was below the limit via xxxxx, although it wouldn't matter
with this item (being below the limit) I was surprised that
the package had FREE GIFT written on it, considering that
they must send hundreds of similar FREE GIFTS out
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
steven9761
Posted 09/03/2012 - 14:55 Link
Algi - any item values below £15 (up until 1st Jan 12, it was £18 ) are classed as low-value, and quite frankly ain't worth the manpower to pursue any revenue from. Although your £16 memory card falls under the heading of "high-value", again, it ain't worth chasing you for it. That said - if HMRC done a "spot-check" and decided it was under-declared, they would issue a penalty (usually to the UK importer, as it's easier to collect the revenues) which then makes it worthwhile from their point of view. It's most likely that if your package was correctly declared as MEMORY CARD, and only contained 1 card plus a receipt for the £16 (which was correctly declared from a valuation p.o.v.), only a total "jobsworth" would sit there calculating that you owe the UK Government £3.20 VAT (if vat hadn't already been charged) plus approx 66p (4.2% duty), and I can guarantee that he/she would be on lavatorial duties for eternity for being such a prat!

TBH: HMRC aren't really interested in folks buying "one-off bargains" every once in a while, providing it's not worth chasing the money. They're more interested in collecting the revenues from the importers of high-value goods. My experience is that the "cut-off point" is anything less that £40-£50, which isn't worth the admin, unless you are a regular importer, then you are "flagged-up" for extra attention. All imports are computerised, you see.
Edited by steven9761: 09/03/2012 - 14:57
CMW
Posted 09/03/2012 - 15:02 Link
Interesting. B&H in NY don't seem to know this. Eg they'll charge $1200 for a K5 body and calculate 'duties and tax' for the UK at a whopping $500 (VAT would of course account for only $240). Oh, and then there's shipping ....

Money aside -- and there's no temptation in this particular example -- for a complex piece of equipment like a dslr, I'd be chary of buying too far distant or from too impersonal a source ... to echo John, potentially such hassle when things go wrong. I'd feel a bit happier buying a 'grey' lens (or some of them, anyway!).
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
wvbarnes
Posted 09/03/2012 - 15:52 Link
I've now had two Sigma 'grey' lenses from Microglobe. The latest says Sigma Germany on the leaflet so I'm not sure what is 'grey' when from within the EU.

I wouldn't knowingly do it for a camera and I certainly wouldn't buy from long distance traders.

I had a 'grey' Aprilia motor bike once (Dutch model). Passed two MOT's and then they changed the rules and made me replace the headlight assembly. Another example of the single market. Many Japanese bikes are popular because they are models or trims you can't buy here. A bit like silly colour KX and KR's I guess!!!
greynolds999
Posted 10/03/2012 - 19:05 Link
It is worth knowing that if you buy something from abroad, you are the importer and are therefore liable for all tax and duties.

So if you were to buy (say from China) and the seller marks it as a 'gift' or understates the value on the customs form (even if not at your request), you are still legally obliged to pay tax and duties on the value.
Algernon
Posted 10/03/2012 - 20:00 Link
steven9761 wrote:
Algi - any item values below £15 (up until 1st Jan 12, it was £18 ) are classed as low-value.........

Thanks Steven...... we've been ripped off again dropping imports to £15 My card was from Amazon so the £16 would have included VAT
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.