Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Id like to buy the K1 But....

richardmills
Posted 06/05/2016 - 14:07 Link
Id really like to buy the new K1 but why do the new Pentax lenses cost soo much?

I mean the new Pentax 15-30 and 24-70 are copies of the Tamron lenses and cost nearly twice as much each.

Thats a big turn off and is surely going to push people to just stay away from Pentax or even move away from them.

Pentax 15-30 1499, Tamron 15-30 799
Pentax 24-70 1149, Tamron 24-70 679

Then theres the Pentax 70-200 at 1849. Thats more than Canons very highly thought of 70-200 IS 2 at 1499. Its also again double the cost of the new Tamron 70-200 at 929.

What are they thinking? Theres nothing special about them so why such a price hike?

Im currently thinking of moving to Nikon simply because of the availability of the above lenses for the Nikon and the fact that the cost of the new Pentax lenses are silly.
bwlchmawr
Posted 06/05/2016 - 14:28 Link
It's certainly something you have to consider.

I sometimes wonder whether some camera makers discount bodies because they expect to make money on lenses and accessories.

I suppose you could use cheaper lenses from the film era at least while you save up for the newer autofocus jobs. That's the beauty of the K mount, although no film made the kind of demands on lenses that at 36mp sensor does.

It will be very interesting to see how people get on with, say, a Pentax M 28mm 3.5, which is very nice on a cropped sensor body where only the centre is used.

Perhaps if the K1 becomes successful, Sigma and Tamron will make some more affordable lenses.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Algernon
Posted 06/05/2016 - 15:03 Link
Some people like to buy things that are expensive

I'm sticking with a K-5...... FF offers no advantage for birders.
Unless you like buying 600mm + lenses.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
richardmills
Posted 06/05/2016 - 15:08 Link
Algernon wrote:
Some people like to buy things that are expensive

I'm sticking with a K-5...... FF offers no advantage for birders.
Unless you like buying 600mm + lenses.

--

Does a Nikon D7200 and Tamron 150-600 not temp you a little? Is does me
smudge
Posted 06/05/2016 - 15:58 Link
If you do not mind buying used lenses then you do not have to dig so deep. Over the past 18 months or so I have purchased a set of good examples of recent F/F Sigma zooms - 12-24, 24-70, 70-200. All very capable lenses. The combined cost was less than 1200. I already have some nice Pentax F/F primes.

The new releases do seem expensive although they will no doubt get cheaper in time. They are also quite big and heavy compared with some of the competition, which is unusual for Pentax.
Regards, Philip
Edited by smudge: 06/05/2016 - 15:59
JAK
Posted 06/05/2016 - 16:10 Link
There's plenty of full frame Pentax glass around. There's no obligation to buy the new lenses. Any APS-C lens you have will work just fine as if on an APS-C body (there's no need even to set anything either, the camera will do that for you,) Even older lenses from the car boot or charity shop will work as intended and some are indeed excellent. Pick up an old Pentax K mount film SLR somewhere for a few quid and its lens should be just fine for the K-1 (if the Sony A7 users haven't beaten you to it!) At worst, you'll have to set it yourself and press the green button in the case of K & M series lenses. A lenses only need manual focussing. Really, what's the problem?
At least Pentax have offered some new lenses for those that wish to have them, presumably those without any compatible lenses already or wish to upgrade.
Any other manufacturer would have brought out a new mount for the K-1 to make all the old glass incompatible and force one to buy the new. Not Pentax. Go for a new N..n and expensive glass if you wish, but sounds a daft idea to me when N..n users are coming the other way. Perhaps they'll be some cheap N..n second hand deals around!.
Amazing how people complained there wasn't an upgrade path for Pentax users and now that there is find some other reason to complain!! Some folks are never happy.
John K
Edited by JAK: 06/05/2016 - 16:24
Mike-P
Posted 06/05/2016 - 16:49 Link
The Canon 70-200mm II was a shade under 2k when it first came out, prices will drop.
McGregNi
Posted 06/05/2016 - 16:54 Link
I admit that I'm impressed by the flexibility of the new offering. Pentax have made it easy and tempting for many to get going with full frame ..... The body's release price was so fair and competitive that I can't begrudge them factoring in expected higher income from lenses. These are a premium product and priced accordingly, and will sell in lower numbers than the camera. They have enough extras like coatings, DC motors and WR to distinguish them from the more budget third party choices.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
richardmills
Posted 06/05/2016 - 18:49 Link
JAK wrote:
There's plenty of full frame Pentax glass around. There's no obligation to buy the new lenses. Any APS-C lens you have will work just fine as if on an APS-C body (there's no need even to set anything either, the camera will do that for you,) Even older lenses from the car boot or charity shop will work as intended and some are indeed excellent. Pick up an old Pentax K mount film SLR somewhere for a few quid and its lens should be just fine for the K-1 (if the Sony A7 users haven't beaten you to it!) At worst, you'll have to set it yourself and press the green button in the case of K & M series lenses. A lenses only need manual focussing. Really, what's the problem?
At least Pentax have offered some new lenses for those that wish to have them, presumably those without any compatible lenses already or wish to upgrade.
Any other manufacturer would have brought out a new mount for the K-1 to make all the old glass incompatible and force one to buy the new. Not Pentax. Go for a new N..n and expensive glass if you wish, but sounds a daft idea to me when N..n users are coming the other way. Perhaps they'll be some cheap N..n second hand deals around!.
Amazing how people complained there wasn't an upgrade path for Pentax users and now that there is find some other reason to complain!! Some folks are never happy.

I think you need to reread my post as you have not understood what I wrote clearly.
stu62
Posted 06/05/2016 - 18:53 Link
some one will correct me if im wrong but isnt the k1 the cheapist 36 mp ff dslr
Edited by stu62: 06/05/2016 - 18:54
McGregNi
Posted 06/05/2016 - 19:06 Link
Richard, I tried to provide some answers to your questions (small numbers in production, extra features over and above the third party choices etc). I can only really understand your question in relation to someone coming at it who's not already invested in a DSLR system. Then you might have plenty of weighing up between the brands. Many things would balance out though .... Pentax might look more expensive and limiting with its new FF lens choices, but its a brand new range just starting. However, the camera itself is superbly competitive with some features not available from the competition, and certainly nothing near it at the price.

But the reality is that for most the new lenses will only be part of the equation. Some will look to one say for starters, one that fills the most pressing gap in their collection, and they will make good use of the older lenses as well ... That's a big part of the attraction of the Pentax Full Frame camera, a great versatility to meet a wide range of needs.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
JAK
Posted 06/05/2016 - 19:18 Link
richardmills wrote:
JAK wrote:

I think you need to reread my post as you have not understood what I wrote clearly.

My understanding of your post is that you think the new lenses are too dear and that is putting you off purchasing a K-1. My reply suggested you don't need them.
John K
richardmills
Posted 06/05/2016 - 20:04 Link
I dont want to get into any kind of slanging match here.

Im heavily invested in Pentax having been using their equipment since the K100d.

I am just pointing out that the lenses which Pentax are releasing are overpriced. The 2 mentioned above with prices are copies of Tamron lenses at double the price. The Tamron offerings have USM motors, weather sealing and VC, They are not the budget offerings they once were.

I know pentax already have lenses which were designed for full frame but im not interested in manual focus and old school screw drive any more. I want up to date fast and quiet lenses which take advantage of the full resolution and technology in the camera.
McGregNi
Posted 06/05/2016 - 21:37 Link
We would all LOVE to have the new Pentax FF lenses at Tamron prices, no argument about that

But the HD FA range is in its infancy and there's not the economies of scale available to Sigma and Tamron. The DC motor, Pentax coatings, styling and weather resistance is enough to distinguish the items for me ... Whether they're worth it can only be for each individual to decide, and that's all to do with your situation and where you are in life.

I could never have had my K7 new in 2009 (around 1100 pounds), but I was delighted with it for 499 a few years later. Still the same camera and has done amazing service. I'm happy to see the new lenses our in the marketplace for the rich guys to buy now, because that's the only way I know that I'll end up with one in, say 5 years time, with an end of line clearance sale for a bargain price. Still the same lens, and I can't wait! ....... Oh, I mean I can wait ....
DrOrloff
Posted 06/05/2016 - 22:36 Link
I think the body is a very competitive price and I'm sure the margins are not large - I mean compare it to the Nikon D810.

The price creaming here is clearly with the lenses - they will come down in price.

However, the company (division thereof) needs to remain profitable for future development so I'm prepared to pay a reasonable price.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.