I wonder what happened to.....?

jeallen01

Link Posted 04/04/2019 - 18:42
wvbarnes wrote:
I've posted about the K3II replacement recently and frankly won't bother again. I'm clearly in a minority caring that there is no current flagship APS-C camera.

My camera works a lot better than I do. I'd like to think that at least it is good for one more quality Pentax DSLR upgrade. A lightweight 400mm zoom would be nice to improve on the excellent 55 - 300 PLM. I reckon min 3,000 to switch systems. Beyond our budget eh wife?

Bill

Totally "with you" on a K-3 II replacement, and the cost of changing system - not that I want to anyway.

IMOH Ricoh-Pentax "pitched their cap" in wrong directions by pushing too much in the FF direction (whilst having only a 1 or 2 FF-capable bodies) and downgrading their ongoing APS-C body line - the KP is undoubtedly a "good" body in its own right, but it's "missing the point" as far a K-3 II successor is concerned.

I need not stress the reasons as these have been voiced loud and long by others, BUT if some of the MAJOR complaints about the performance of Pentax bodies are not properly addressed (and so far, they have not been!) then more and more longtime users will inevitably migrate elsewhere, and fewer and fewer new buyers will migrate to Pentax.
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 04/04/2019 - 18:56

Gwyn

Link Posted 04/04/2019 - 20:39
Me too. I don't want to change system, can't eally afford to anyway. I am still hoping for a new APS-C from Pentax but think the longer there is no news the less likely it will happen.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 04/04/2019 - 21:34
Yes, a lot of names I remember there.

John, gives Gartmore my best, it's nice to know he's still about and you and him are in contact with one another. Ask him to pop in and say Hi.
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 28-105mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 105mm - Pentax FA 35mm f2 - Tokina 20-35mm, Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr

My 500px

johnriley

Link Posted 04/04/2019 - 23:11
Will do Gwyn and yes, he's still getting the puppies for their initial training. He finds it amusing to ask his clients if he can bring his guide dog to photoshoots......
Best regards, John

Gwyn

Link Posted 05/04/2019 - 08:32
Sounds like Ken!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 05/04/2019 - 09:11
wvbarnes wrote:
Reading this made me realise I'd been on here for over 9 years.

I've bought and sold quite a bit.
I've contributed on gear BUT less lately as I'm not interested in heavy K1 and its big expensive heavy fast FA lenses.
I've posted about the K3II replacement recently and frankly won't bother again. I'm clearly in a minority caring that there is no current flagship APS-C camera.
I put a few pics on the gallery, mostly of wildlife while walking the dog.

As to time marching on I've had cataract surgery to both eyes and complications for two years. I've battled on taking photos and am finally getting there after a belated YAG Laser capsulotomy to clear my left eye and a lot of drops and gels for dry eyes. I can for example now read this.

My camera works a lot better than I do. I'd like to think that at least it is good for one more quality Pentax DSLR upgrade. A lightweight 400mm zoom would be nice to improve on the excellent 55 - 300 PLM. I reckon min 3,000 to switch systems. Beyond our budget eh wife?

I'm with you on the APS-C flagship. I hope my K-3 will last a good few years yet and if something happened to it I'd get a used one before I bought a K-P or K70, even though they're newer. However, some day I will want to upgrade and I have too many great APS-C lenses that I love for it to be viable to go FF, so I certainly hope that Pentax continue with an APS-C flagship. There's still plenty of money to be made in APS-C.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

LennyBloke

Link Posted 05/04/2019 - 10:44
I appreciate that many of us want to see an APS-C flagship but the resources have generally been re-directed to the FF system expansion recently and Ricoh don't appear to have the resources to work full-steam in multiple directions - but the release of that 11-18 surely signifies a continuing commitment to APS-C?

I am convinced the flagship APS-C will appear, and before the launch of the next FF model - Pentax certainly do put the P in Patience, but I for one have been happy with what they deliver when it eventually arrives - even when it's not something that is for me!
LennyBloke

Algernon

Link Posted 05/04/2019 - 11:01
The KP looks to be an excellent camera....

5th Highestrated Interchangeable Lens Camera with the highest user reviews.
https://www.dpreview.com/products/slrs/statistics/highestrated

That's against some very strong opposition. Higher than ALL the Nikons and Sony mirrorless

The K-1 is also the 10th most wanted and all this is on a very Pentax unfriendly website.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/slrs/statistics/mostwanted

Well done Pentax All other makes are DOOMED!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

walt

Link Posted 06/04/2019 - 15:39
Algernon wrote:

I've enjoyed mine so much that I sold my K3 after never using it again for wildlife after I got the KP. The AF for dragonflies in flight is just so much better, birds in flight as well. If it had a better buffer and a battery display I wouldn't even be waiting for a replacement top tier APS-C. I think if most K5/3 owners could use it for a while they would see why owners rate it so highly. My best APS-C Pentax so far.
Walt
Flickr
Picasa

wvbarnes

Link Posted 06/04/2019 - 16:26
I think the thread was about us lasting/still here or not.

My K3 II has a stop more shake reduction over the original Mk 1, an upgraded AF (software?) for lateral movement (but not towards you) which I was impressed with. I take plenty of dragonflies in flight. The focus speed of the 55 to 300 PLM has a lot to do with my K3II camera performing better. My previous DA 300mm F4 star was lovely BUT so much slower to react.

If the novelty grip was left out of the KP then we could have a bigger battery (an upgrade in technology though overdue) , two card slots etc. The smaller top LCD from the K1 perhaps. The cheaper shutter on the KP (100,000 instead of 200,000 and i gather noisier) was poor corner cutting in my opinion. Perhaps the 29 % drop against the Yen and lower volumes behind this.

Ricoh took the KP route and dumped the K3II of Hoya era K5 heritage. Maybe they'll fix this. The issue is for us wildlife users is do we wait patiently for a better Pentax APS-C or expensively change system.

John was right we may have good gear for now but what next and when if not K1 owners?

walt wrote:
Algernon wrote:

I've enjoyed mine so much that I sold my K3 after never using it again for wildlife after I got the KP. The AF for dragonflies in flight is just so much better, birds in flight as well. If it had a better buffer and a battery display I wouldn't even be waiting for a replacement top tier APS-C. I think if most K5/3 owners could use it for a while they would see why owners rate it so highly. My best APS-C Pentax so far.

Bill

walt

Link Posted 06/04/2019 - 17:12
wvbarnes wrote:
I think the thread was about us lasting/still here or not. ........

True, but it looked like it had drifted a bit. However I take the hint and will butt out.
Walt
Flickr
Picasa

droopsnoot

Link Posted 12/04/2019 - 19:25
I go quiet over winter because I don't really get out much taking photos, and perhaps that's the same for others. I've never really posted in anything like the volume that a lot do. I've thought about changing makes, but I bought a Pentax dSLR because I had Pentax film cameras, and I'm weird / loyal (delete as appropriate) like that.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

StephenHampshire

Link Posted 12/04/2019 - 20:21
wvbarnes wrote:
Reading this made me realise I'd been on here for over 9 years.

I've bought and sold quite a bit.
I've contributed on gear BUT less lately as I'm not interested in heavy K1 and its big expensive heavy fast FA lenses.
I put a few pics on the gallery, mostly of wildlife while walking the dog.

As to time marching on I've had cataract surgery to both eyes and complications for two years. I've battled on taking photos and am finally getting there after a belated YAG Laser capsulotomy to clear my left eye and a lot of drops and gels for dry eyes. I can for example now read this.

Not sure its that we don't care about the wait for a new "flagship" aps-c camera, just that we have got used to the slowness of Ricoh product releases. This weekend, I'm off to a wedding and to save weight I'm going to get my K3 out rather than my K1. The Sigma 50-150 f2.8 is a lot lighter than my Tamron 70-200

As for hiatus, I took 6 months off from another Pentax related forum just to get a breath of fresh air, I was still taking photos though.
Everything Changes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/
Last Edited by StephenHampshire on 12/04/2019 - 20:22

JAK

Link Posted 12/04/2019 - 22:30
Sorry to hear people think their current APS-C cameras no longer cut the mustard and that Ricoh have gone all full frame. For those of us wanting FF I think we waited for an awful long time for that to arrive in the meantime seeing many APS-C models come and go. Are people really that desperate to buy another APS--C offering? What do people think it will do that the K-3 or KP can't already?
Just to point out that the K-1 can be set for APS-C use too, but why would you?
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 12/04/2019 - 22:41

Defragged

Link Posted 12/04/2019 - 22:47
JAK wrote:

Just to point out that the K-1 can be set for APS-C use too, but why would you?

Because it still allows the use of some excellent APS-C glass with a file size almost identical to what the K5 produced and which is generally more than adequate. Full frame lenses too can be used in APS-C mode for that apparent longer reach when needed. And then there is the very useful square mode which in my opinion is excellent for the use of APS-C lenses in full frame mode. The K1 really does cater for both FULL FRAME and APC-C users and allows an upgrade path from APS-C to FULL FRAME without necessarily having to ditch your existing glass or invest straight away in expensive new glass. No other brand comes close!

Just my ten cents worth
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.