Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

I think I've got an iso related KS-2 problem. Advice please.

Nigelk
Posted 01/02/2016 - 17:56 Link
Evening folks. My bargain KS-2 with 18-135mm kit has already arrived from Amazon. First impressions are very positive!
A few differences here and there but nothing that I see as a problem, except.......I normally shoot in manual mode pretty much all the time, with the twisty screen I was expecting to have it facing in towards the camera most of the time, however with the screen facing into the camera I seem unable to change the iso as and when I want. Have I got this right or am I missing something?
Gwyn
Posted 01/02/2016 - 18:34 Link
Have you checked in the manual?
MrB
Posted 01/02/2016 - 18:48 Link
Is there some reason why you want the screen to face the camera?

If not, just turn off the display - press the Info button twice, choose the third option "Display Off" and press OK. The display goes black. Press the ISO button and the ISO value is displayed for you to change - press OK and the screen returns to black. (This works for all the four-way buttons, etc.)

Cheers.
Philip
Nigelk
Posted 01/02/2016 - 19:21 Link
Manual checked, yes.
I can see how to change the iso with the screen facing out. I was curious to see if anyone knows of a way to do it with the screen facing in, with my eye glued to the view finder. Not a deal breaker just surprised me I couldn't find a way to do it. Perhaps someone knows a way! Or perhaps it can't be done, in which case I shall use the camera with screen facing out. I thought that when shooting and not needing the screen I would have it facing in to keep it nice.
1stEverPentax
Posted 01/02/2016 - 20:01 Link
My son's K-S2 ordered on the Amazon offer arrived about an hour ago...we're both impressed with it and the 18-135 which I hadn't actually tried out before...only used it indoors under artificial lighting but seems very good.

My son is very impressed that he can use his Apple mobile phone via our WiFi to change camera settings, take the picture and then view images onphone...it is a really useful feature with many potential applications.

I misunderstood what you were trying to replicate Nigelk with the positioning of the screen...but it didn't seem to work for us either so i'm guessing you can't do it...and his battery is now on charge as it only comes with a bit of life in it. Not really a problem for him though I don't think and Philips work-round seems easy enough to do.

Anyway...assuming it stays reliable has to be one of the best photo bargains of the past year.
(I just wish their admin/marketing department was as good...still waiting for my Summer Cashback...6 months now!)

regards

Karlo
richandfleur
Posted 01/02/2016 - 20:06 Link
Am I reading this right, in that you want the screen tucked hidden away, in 'protection mode'?

Does ISO show as an item in the viewfinder?
BruceStrachan
Posted 01/02/2016 - 20:14 Link
I have never used the KS2 with screen away.
Get a protector they cost about 2 quid!!!!
I always find myself using the screen as the ISO button is in a differant place from the K3 and when looking through viewfinder it's hard to get the button...
The position on the K3 is so natural as your finger is already there don't know why they don't standardise it.
Cheers,

Bruce
Nigelk
Posted 01/02/2016 - 20:29 Link
That is correct Richard. the iso value does show in the viewfinder but doesn't change if the screen is in "protection mode" Just caught me by surprise. In every other way the camera and the lens seem to be very nice indeed. I'm not trying to put the gear down, just asking a question.

Now I just need to spend a few hundred quid on a smart phone!
richandfleur
Posted 01/02/2016 - 21:08 Link
Nigelk wrote:
That is correct Richard. the iso value does show in the viewfinder but doesn't change if the screen is in "protection mode" Just caught me by surprise.

Well that's a weird firmware decision by the developers isn't it.

Send it to Pentax as a firmware change request?

Can't see any obvious reason why the viewfinder display should be linked to the rear screen position :
carmagw
Posted 01/02/2016 - 21:25 Link
Don't have a KS2 but I tend to shoot in TaV mode with auto ISO, you should then be able to adjust the settings to get the ISO you want hopefully.
richandfleur
Posted 01/02/2016 - 22:01 Link
Yes assume you're in a mode that allows for ISO changes? (it's worth raising the question )
Nigelk
Posted 01/02/2016 - 22:15 Link
I am talking about when in full manual mode, I mainly use manual mode. Only three main parameters to change on a camera as far as I'm concerned. Shutter, aperture and iso. With the screen in protection mode you can change the first two but not the iso. I was beginning to think I was the only person to find this a bit odd, but as I already realise and others have pointed out don't have the screen facing the camera body.
richandfleur
Posted 01/02/2016 - 23:22 Link
Nigelk wrote:
I am talking about when in full manual mode, I mainly use manual mode. Only three main parameters to change on a camera as far as I'm concerned. Shutter, aperture and iso. With the screen in protection mode you can change the first two but not the iso. I was beginning to think I was the only person to find this a bit odd, but as I already realise and others have pointed out don't have the screen facing the camera body.

Cool, just clarifying. Nothing wrong with you mate, it is plain odd. Pentax should fix it. Notify them of the issue and lets see if they do...
1stEverPentax
Posted 01/02/2016 - 23:31 Link
It is very unusual Nigel not to use the screen for confirming changes even in manual mode...I use manual mode at least 50% of the time on my K-50 and find the 3" screen very useful for confirming any changes I make to ISO...although to be fair I usually set the ISO I think i'll need first then set aperture and speed. Using TAV mode sometimes when shooting aircraft I set the aperture and speed and of course the camera sets the ISO.

I'm guessing that if the camera had a top LCD display like the K5/K3 then ISO changes could be confirmed on this...but of course there's no space for one given its smaller size. Given that the twisty rear screen is a new feature for Pentax it sounds like it's only really now with minority experiences like yours that this anomaly has come to light. As richandfleur mentions maybe it could be enabled in a subsequent update.

Karlo
Unlocker
Posted 01/02/2016 - 23:57 Link
Without owning one, can't you just use the ISO button on the back? Hold it in whilst turning a dial?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.