I just MAY have too much time on my hands. ;-)

vjayshutterbug

Link Posted 10/02/2010 - 23:39
this may be petty. But the other day, out of curiosity, I submitted a picture that I recently took to a "photome" software program that tells you the number of shutter actuations your "new" camera has taken. My new K7 displayed 1080!...Now, subtracting the approx 100 I have taken by just testing it and playing with it, and the number of actual pictures taken, that still leaves about 980 shutter actuations as a new in the box camera?
So....it gets better.
I talk to the camera guy I bought it from, and he assures me that it was a new camera sent right from the factory. He further says that Pentax likes to test the shutters a LOT on the line.
Yeah, but 980 tests?
Did you use an old memory card, he asked? Yeah, but I formatted it before using it on the new K7. hmmmmm
I don't know. Anyone have any similar experience?
Pentax K-5, Tamron 17-50, Tamron 70-300, Metz 50 AF-1 flash, and working on buying more lenses in the future. It never ends.

iceblinker

Link Posted 10/02/2010 - 23:49
The memory card doesn't affect the shutter actuation number that you see with PhotoMe. I'm sure the camera guy is a nice guy, but he was talking out of his tripod socket then.

I haven't checked mine yet. 980 tests is frightening, except when you consider the camera is designed to last for at least 100,000 shots.
~Pete

Greytop

Link Posted 10/02/2010 - 23:49
James, I think I read somewhere that it's not unusual to see a few hundred shutter actuations when the camera is new.
I checked my K-7 when I got it and it had close on 300, but without a doubt it was new all vacuum packed with the kit lens etc when handed over to me at our favourite retailer SRS
My previous K20D which was a brand new warranty replacement for a defective K20D had about 600 actuations when new. So yes they do seem to run quite heavy shutter actuation tests at the factory.
Having said that close on a 1000? I guess it's your call with the retailer. Or contact Pentax USA first and see what they say.
Regards Huw

flickr
Last Edited by Greytop on 10/02/2010 - 23:53

vjayshutterbug

Link Posted 11/02/2010 - 00:00
iceblinker wrote:
The memory card doesn't affect the shutter actuation number that you see with PhotoMe. I'm sure the camera guy is a nice guy, but he was talking out of his tripod socket then.

I haven't checked mine yet. 980 tests is frightening, except when you consider the camera is designed to last for at least 100,000 shots.

Thanks Pete. I know this dude at the camera store very well. We hang together occasionally on weekends, so I trust him. Positive he wouldn't deliberately lie to me.
And yeah....don't think I'm going to sweat it too much, considering the 100,000 shutter life.
Pentax K-5, Tamron 17-50, Tamron 70-300, Metz 50 AF-1 flash, and working on buying more lenses in the future. It never ends.

vjayshutterbug

Link Posted 11/02/2010 - 00:04
Greytop wrote:
James, I think I read somewhere that it's not unusual to see a few hundred shutter actuations when the camera is new.
I checked my K-7 when I got it and it had close on 300, but without a doubt it was new all vacuum packed with the kit lens etc when handed over to me at our favourite retailer SRS
My previous K20D which was a brand new warranty replacement for a defective K20D had about 600 actuations when new. So yes they do seem to run quite heavy shutter actuation tests at the factory.
Having said that close on a 1000? I guess it's your call with the retailer. Or contact Pentax USA first and see what they say.

I can always count on you for great advice, Huw! I trust the retailer, so think I'm going to give Pentax a call. I'm curious now.
But, frankly, not sure I would give my camera up, anyway. I did the firmware update. (wow, was that ever a trial!) We've sort of bonded.
Last Edited by vjayshutterbug on 11/02/2010 - 00:05

iceblinker

Link Posted 11/02/2010 - 00:17
vjayshutterbug wrote:
Thanks Pete. I know this dude at the camera store very well. We hang together occasionally on weekends, so I trust him. Positive he wouldn't deliberately lie to me.

I wasn't thinking he was lying, but it sounds like he doesn't fully understand the difference between the shutter actuation number and the image file number.
~Pete

vjayshutterbug

Link Posted 11/02/2010 - 03:24
iceblinker wrote:
vjayshutterbug wrote:

I wasn't thinking he was lying, but it sounds like he doesn't fully understand the difference between the shutter actuation number and the image file number.

ha! you're probably right!

gartmore

Link Posted 11/02/2010 - 05:47
I had my camera repaired recently which included a reset. Its now back to zero. Now, if it was a car that would be illegal
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

pink

Link Posted 11/02/2010 - 08:43
Ken and james sorry to hijack this post but ken when your camera needed repair how many clicks did it have??

James

Mike-P

Link Posted 11/02/2010 - 12:52
iceblinker wrote:

He was probably getting mixed up. On Canon or Nikon (not sure which) if you put an old memory card into a new camera without formatting it starts its actuations from the previous photo on the card. Have seen a few users on other forums going potty about Jessops selling them a demo camera even though it was sealed.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.