How would you improve your Pentax SLR?

dougf8

Link Posted 13/04/2010 - 19:02
Double SDHC slots and/or USB host adapter to backup to a USB memory key on the fly.

RAW recovery mode, ability to run through the buffer and pick out an image and save it as raw even if you're in JPEG mode. (either that or the camera ghosts the last 7 images on the SDHC card in background so they can be recovered).
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 13/04/2010 - 19:02

Don

Link Posted 13/04/2010 - 19:42
dougf8 wrote:
Double SDHC slots and/or USB host adapter to backup to a USB memory key on the fly.

RAW recovery mode, ability to run through the buffer and pick out an image and save it as raw even if you're in JPEG mode. (either that or the camera ghosts the last 7 images on the SDHC card in background so they can be recovered).

i'd settle for some connectivity between the spare card in the grip and the camera body....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

simonarthurs

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 01:06
For my K10D

.....Now I have knackered my back carrying too much kit everywhere I'd like Pentax to make a high quality rotating/right angle view finder so I don't have to bend down so much!

I'm hoping that Pentax are looking at all your suggestions so that by the time I upgrade the next model will be comprehensive ! I've been thinking about the K7 but wondered if it was worth waiting for what ever replaces it.....how much longer will we need to wait?

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 02:47
I'd like one of those clip on screen protectors that come with Nikon Dslrs.
Mhuni

500px

layingback

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 08:08
K20D:
- non-crippled KAF2 mount
- TTL flash compatibility
- quieter shutter
- better battery level display ( >50?% + < 50?% is laughable, give us 4 levels at least in top LCD and % in Menu )
in that order.

The lack of the 1st 2 is almost inexcusable as the development work was already in the bag from earlier models.

dougf8 wrote:

That would be a big change, but it occurs to me that Copy SDHC card to USB/Video Connector (the one for TV out cable) could be done in just f/w. A mini-USB to USB (female) cable/adapter and on-location backup would be trivial - with the flexibility to back up to cards/thumbs/etc.

[ Hmm, no [list] feature in this BBCode implementation ... ]
My PENTAX Page

sam-joseph

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 08:17
Maybe it's just me, but unless Pentax starts to make terrible cameras that are too far behind the other brands to even consider, I'll be staying put. My "old" K100D Super does everything I need it to, and it'll be quite some time before I've outgrown its capabilities. Some changes would be good, however. A faster write speed, 10Mp sensor, more dedicated buttons instead of menus (ISO, RAW, etc.) Threaded shutter button (I know I should just buy the remote). That camera is solidly built, unlike the plasticky cameras from the bigger manufacturers. Add to that, the in-built SR and AF motor (N**** blokes at work can't believe I've got SR when using old Takumar or A series lenses). So it's probably safe to say, the brand has got me in. Besides, I've got an ever growing collection of lenses in PK mount, and I don't want to start all over again. Just like I'd buy Ford before even considering Holden.
But that's just me.
Regards
Sam-Joseph
Pentax K7, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Sigma 70-300 APO, Sigma 1.4x TC, Vivitar 2x TC. Takumar 135mm f2.5, SMC Pentax A 50mm 1:1.7, SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, Pentax X70

K10D

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 10:17
mowog wrote:
A sensor measuring 36x24mm, of course!. A threaded shutter button. The ability to shoot in b&w. I know this can be done, but it involves pushing buttons in the menu and a lot of faffing about. My Canon A70 compact is always set to b&w. Conversion after the shot is a bit of a pain. I like to see the image in b&w as it is taken.
Less menu and more knobs! - An exposure compensation knob, like those found on old film cameras would be good.

Like these?

Minolta did it a while ago and happened to introduce sensor stabilisation on the DSLR. This pair have served me very well over the years.

Taken on a K7.

Regards
Last Edited by K10D on 23/04/2010 - 10:17

dlacouture

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 14:29
- replace EvComp, Iso and RAW buttons by custom buttons (green button already serves as a custom button, so that's ok).

- Enable Av mode on PK-M lenses, using one of the two following alternatives (could be made a choice in "Permit A ring use" custom function):
* stop-down the lens on half-press, then meter the scene (Metering would be active only during the half-press).
* always stop-down the lens (Metering would be active for the standard time), and open it on DoF preview or AF button, to ease focusing.
Those two alternatives are compatible with m42 lenses and PK-A lenses set to a specific aperture.

- Enable P-TTL with manual lenses (it could already work pretty well with m42 without a lot of modifications, and the above update would then automatically allow it with PK-m lenses, as the pre-flash would occur with the lens already stopped-down).

- Enable trap focus with PK-m and m42 manual lenses when the body is set to AF (currently needs to shorten the mount contact pins).
- Enable trap focus with all lenses when the body is set to MF and the user presses the AF button.

Don

Link Posted 23/04/2010 - 14:37
layingback wrote:
K20D:
- non-crippled KAF2 mount
- TTL flash compatibility
- quieter shutter
- better battery level display ( >50?% + < 50?% is laughable, give us 4 levels at least in top LCD and % in Menu )
in that order.

The lack of the 1st 2 is almost inexcusable as the development work was already in the bag from earlier models.

dougf8 wrote:

That would be a big change, but it occurs to me that Copy SDHC card to USB/Video Connector (the one for TV out cable) could be done in just f/w. A mini-USB to USB (female) cable/adapter and on-location backup would be trivial - with the flexibility to back up to cards/thumbs/etc.

[ Hmm, no [list] feature in this BBCode implementation ... ]

already done on the 645d which shares many an internal organ with the k7

as i already said, having the sd card slot in the external grip active would be awsome! imagine being able to put one of those wifi cards inside tha camera, a second sd card in the grip, and write simultanious jpeg to the internal wifi sd card and raw to the easily accessable grip card...

jpeg proofs popping up on your computer over wifi and raw back ups on the card in the grip.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.