How would you improve your Pentax SLR?

Anvh

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:19
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
Hoya used to make Camera lenses

They marketed a range of budget lenses in the 1970s, but whether or not they made them is something else.

But today the make the lens elements for a lot of lenses so I'm sure they know a bit about lens design or not?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

thoughton

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:21
I've always heard that Hoya lenses from the 70s and 80s were made for them by Tokina.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

MrCynical

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:26
Erm... I actually really love my K20D. My only Pentax complaints centre around the price, quality control, and price of their lenses.

Mongoose

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:33
Anvh wrote:

Is that still so with the K7, i thought they improved that quite a bit.
BTW for the ones wanting Faster AF the 645D has a new SOFAX (AF sensor) lets hope it boost performance

Maybe so, but the question was how to improve MY Pentax, which is a K10D

glad they're working on it/have fixed it though. One more thing to look forward to for when I finally replace my beloved K10D.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

johnriley

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:37
Quote:
But today the make the lens elements for a lot of lenses

I understood they supplied the blanks, which is not quite the same thing as making lens elements. If this is correct, then saying that Hoya have experience at making lenses would be a bit like saying that a rubber plantation has experience of making tyres.

Of course things change and now Hoya do make lenses, in the sense that they bought Pentax, who make lenses.
Best regards, John

Mongoose

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:46
it all depends on how Hoya choose to handle the situation. Do they want to own a Camera/Lens company?

did they buy Pentax because they want to sell their own products using the Pentax brand to get an easy leg up into a notoriously difficult industry to enter, or because they believe that with financial support and a few tweeks Pentax can be made into a profitable arm of their company while maintaining its own traditions. Or did they just buy Pentax because they wanted the medical imaging bit and cameras came as part of the bundle.

It's too early to really tell, but I haven't seen Hoya stomping all over Pentax up to now.

We all know Pentax can make good lenses and good cameras, deppending on how Hoya handles it, who supplies the cash doesn't necessarily have to make any difference at all to the quality.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Anvh

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:48
No they make the lenses (elements) link
Just do a patent search and you will see that Hoya has a lot of patents into making lens elements, glass compositions and such.
USA Site link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 10/03/2010 - 18:48

thoughton

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 18:55
Anvh wrote:
USA Site link

Those lenses are tiny (see here), a few mm across. I suppose they might be mobile phone camera lenses
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 10/03/2010 - 18:55

Stanovich

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 19:13
MrCynical wrote:
Erm... I actually really love my K20D.

Me too - in my original post I was thinking about how I'd want to improve on it if I replace it, and I could only think of the screen, mount and 100% VF (and I've already bought a Katz Eye split screen). Maybe full-frame at some distant date if the bulk can be reduced. If Pentax would spend the money on those rather than video and doing in-camera what you can do on screen I might change, but until then the K20D is close enough to as good as it gets.

Stan
K5IIs & ME Super with FA24-90, DA17-70, DA55-300, misc old primes; Fuji X20.

Anvh

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 19:17
thoughton wrote:
Anvh wrote:
USA Site link

Those lenses are tiny (see here), a few mm across. I suppose they might be mobile phone camera lenses

Sorry these are bigger link

I wanted to link you to the main site though. this one link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Paulcollins

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 19:47
bwichmawr wrote:
Paulcollins wrote:
I'd like a CMOS sensor fitted in my KM,

How would that improve the image quality, Paul? I always thought the 10mp CCD produced excellent images, particularly at low ISO values.

Regards,

Andrew

It maybe just a personal thing Andrew, but to the Cmos sensor in my daughters Canon 1000d just has the edge on my KM, I carried out extensive tests with,both camera using the same type of lens on the same subjects at the same distance ect, and I have to say reluctantly the Canon 1000d does have the edge on my KM. I like the KM very much my daughter owns the Canon 1000d, the most amazing Camera I own is the Canon 500d 15.2 mpx, now that is a camera,and if Canon had made the anti shake in the body instead of in the over priced lenses, then maybe I'd have moved brands.
Anyway it's just a personal view
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.
Last Edited by Paulcollins on 10/03/2010 - 19:48

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 20:05
Thanks for explaining that, Paul,

Most interesting. To have the facility to make such an unbiased side-by-side comparison is unusual and informative.

I only asked, because I've seen such outstanding photographs posted on this site by users who own, inter-alia, a K10 or K200. Now I know if the same photographs had been taken using a K20 they'd be even more impressive!

Glad you stuck with Pentax, though, whatever the reasons: don't you think they feel and handle better than Canons, or is it just me?

Best wishes,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Paulcollins

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 20:47
I quite agree I feel they handle better,my KM is I suppose the baby of the pentax world, however it doesn't feel or handle like a entry level camera at all,in general I think the pictures are fantastic. The comparrisons I made between the two were done on a day nothing much was going on, so I had the chance to play.I think my perfect camera would be a mix of the two, I have no idea as to how Nikon compare, they always seemed over priced to me. I think the K20d is a fine camera, and I've never seen many for resale which is always a good indicator.
I've only just bought a Sigma 70-300mm APO lens for the KM,it's seems to be made for the KM, the pictures so far are really clear and sharp, the weekend end will see what it can do.
Pentax K10d, KM, kit lens 18-55,Sigma 28-80, Sigma 55-200, Sigma70/300 APO , Tamron 400mm Prime, Cosinon 135 prime,Ricoh 55mm.

RichardDay

Link Posted 10/03/2010 - 21:48
The K-x is the successor to the K-m and has a very fine CMOS sensor, probably the best 12MP example around at the moment.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link

Unlocker

Link Posted 11/03/2010 - 00:45
Stanovich wrote:
MrCynical wrote:
Erm... I actually really love my K20D.

Me too - in my original post I was thinking about how I'd want to improve on it if I replace it, and I could only think of the screen, mount and 100% VF (and I've already bought a Katz Eye split screen). Maybe full-frame at some distant date if the bulk can be reduced. If Pentax would spend the money on those rather than video and doing in-camera what you can do on screen I might change, but until then the K20D is close enough to as good as it gets.

Stan

Interestingly enough, I really don't love my K20D anymore (never thought I'd say that!).

Other ways to improve it:-

100% viewfinder
Far quieter shutter sound
5 FPS
In camera HDR
Distortion & Lateral Chromatic Aberration correction
Proper mirror lock up
Highlight & shadow correction
Vastly improved 77 segment metering
Vastly improved AWB
Rated as resistant down to -10C
3inch VGA resolution LCD with far improved Live View
1/8000 top shutter speed instead of 1/4000
Shake reduction compensates for rotational sensor movement as well
Electronic level available in 3 places
Composition adjustment - rotate sensor!!
Embedded copyright on image capture
Supersonic vibration for sensor cleaning (much quieter)
Auto image rotation on playback
HDMI output for HDTVs
720P video
Magnesium alloy body
Higher quality dials, buttons etc.
Auto focus assist light
AF button on grip with AA battery option.
Built in mic & speaker
Stereo mic input

All this extra to a K20D, wrapped up in a smaller, lighter, more ergonomic body & call it a K-7!

Picked up our K20 this week for a little play as it had been neglected for a couple of months (kept as our back up body), and instantly decided that it has to go, so anyone want a K20D & grip & extra batteries?? Should hit the market place soon!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.